ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone keep/kept chickens here? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/756431-anyone-keep-kept-chickens-here.html)

sarasquares 30 March 2009 06:14 PM

Anyone keep/kept chickens here?

I am hoping to get some cute little chicks sometime this week and am a bit confused as to what to get.

I want Bantams hatching eggs/chicks.We want to see the chicks hatch

The plan is to have eggs later on but i don't want a cock, just the ladies. I know you can get egg laying chickens that don't need a cock but can i get bantams that don't need the male input?

I live in Hertfordshire, can anyone help? :thumb:

Tam the bam 30 March 2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 8610708)
i don't want a cock:

Killjoy! ;)

sarasquares 30 March 2009 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tam the bam (Post 8610723)
Killjoy! ;)

Great big waste of space :p

scoobyvirgin 30 March 2009 06:21 PM

I'll raise you...

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 8610708)
don't need a cock

sarasquares 30 March 2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin (Post 8610737)
I'll raise you...

You could try :D

Kev_turbo 30 March 2009 06:30 PM

If you want chicks you need some cock(s), if you just want eggs then no male input required

sarasquares 30 March 2009 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo (Post 8610761)
If you want chicks you need some cock(s), if you just want eggs then no male input required

Its just the eggs we want. Dont know is Bantams lay eggs with out the cock though :wonder:

Lee247 30 March 2009 08:29 PM

There are chickens in our Stable Yard. They spend more time in our garden, much to Jets delight :lol1: There is a cock too, he gets bossed about something rotten :D

Kev_turbo 30 March 2009 08:56 PM

you do not need a cock to get eggs, we had 3 hens (no cock) for a few years and regularly got 16-20 eggs a week.

If you get some feed them anything, they love meat - bacon rind, chicken, etc.

J4CKO 30 March 2009 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo (Post 8611264)
you do not need a cock to get eggs, we had 3 hens (no cock) for a few years and regularly got 16-20 eggs a week.

I seem to remember feeding Chickens with Chicken was a bad idea, cant remember why.

Dedrater 30 March 2009 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo (Post 8611264)

You could of got a max 10k fine for that and a criminal record.

Dedrater 30 March 2009 09:35 PM

Sara, have a read of this...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welf...layerscode.pdf

Jamz3k 30 March 2009 09:38 PM

used to half about a dozen chickens and a cock, they were fantastic to have running around. We also had at the same time a Goat and 3 geese. I am not ashamed to say the Geese scared the **** out of me as the leader "Jemima Puddle Duck" had it in for me!:lol1:

Tam the bam 30 March 2009 10:00 PM

I used to look after Chickens (and other animals) when I worked on a farm, there is nothing funnier than watching a Bantam run when your trying to catch it to put it in the coop for the night! :lol1: There was also a 4 year old Turkey, now it wasn't so fun to try and catch, 'twas a grumpy old sh!t! :D

Gymbal 30 March 2009 10:11 PM

I have light sussex, big birds, friendly, low maintenance, good layers. hate bantams, too small, flighty, neurotic, and too much work to pluck then eat.

nixxon 30 March 2009 10:14 PM

We have 3 warrens and a couple of sussex hens. There were 3 of each, but one had a game of chicken with my Jack Russell!
They're great pets. They really love being with people, and will follow you around and poke their beaks in where they're noy wanted, like most females.
Our's are spoilt rotten. They get warm porridge on these cold winter mornings, and are very partial to mango (39p at LIDL!).
For a hen house, avoid the Ebay cheapies. The doors will swell up at the first sniff of rain, trapping them inside.
Practical Poultry is where the chicken nutters hang out, and is good for all manner of advice.
We get 5 eggs a day, and they really do taste better, but at over a quid each, so they should!

scoobyvirgin 30 March 2009 11:02 PM

Squaresey, one minute you don't want a cock, then you don't need a cock.....

And now you want me to try and raise you?

Sorry, i'm too young!!! You'll get a name for yourself saying that to whippersnappers like myself...... :P

Wagon Gaz 30 March 2009 11:25 PM

Used to have 36,000 hens, laid no probs at all and certainly no cockerill required:cool:

sarasquares 31 March 2009 08:12 AM

And now can anyone tell me what the best hens are for laying?

I wanted smaller birds so they are not too much bigger than my dogs, any suggestions? :wonder: