ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   AP racing 6 pots vs brembo 4 pot (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/754281-ap-racing-6-pots-vs-brembo-4-pot.html)

Lennard 20 March 2009 01:47 PM

AP racing 6 pots vs brembo 4 pot

Will I see a huge amount of difference when upgrading from STi brembos to AP 6 pots, both 330mm?

Not sure it's worth it, but the car (classic type ra) will be used in hill climb currently running 350 bhp/320 ft.lbs but i'm planning to run much more power once I upgrade the gearset.

D1CCY 20 March 2009 02:03 PM

I've changed from STi Brembos to 5570 330mm AP 6 pots for track use (now using PF discs and RS29 pads). Despite a slightly smaller total piston area they stop better and are more consistent. Best of all is the smoothness and progression and clean release that is just a pleasure to use. Call me sad but I actually enjoy braking as much as having a blast.

As Alyn on here told me, the truth is that the Brembo is a budget caliper and you get what you pay for.

Lennard 20 March 2009 02:18 PM

Thanks for your insight, are you running a classic or a later shape?

dunx 20 March 2009 07:21 PM

D1CCY has a new-age, I would thoroughly recommend the Performance Friction replacement discs and pads for the Brembo set-up (fitted to mine !). Unless your budget will easily stretch to AP's.

dunx

P.S. Does a hillclimb car need that much braking ? Does weight matter ?

Rill 20 March 2009 08:49 PM

After starting out with Brembo 4-pots and stock discs and pads I quickly upgraded to DS2500 pads all round....which was an improvement. :)

I then upgraded to Performance Friction discs on the front and Performance Friction Z-rated pads all round....which was even more of an improvement. :thumb:

I then upgraded to Performance Friction 01-rated pads....which was a HUGE improvement. :luxhello:

I've recently upgraded to 330mm AP 6-pot calipers and discs on the front and Pagid RS29 (yellow) pads all round....they are awesome! :notworthy

p1doc 21 March 2009 10:37 AM

i changed from brembos on newage sti to ap 6 pots 330 from alyn much better
martin

Lennard 21 March 2009 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 8589713)
D1CCY has a new-age, I would thoroughly recommend the Performance Friction replacement discs and pads for the Brembo set-up (fitted to mine !). Unless your budget will easily stretch to AP's.

dunx

P.S. Does a hillclimb car need that much braking ? Does weight matter ?

weight matters allot, the braking is less about brute stopping power and more about controllability and smoothness so you can carry maximum speed around the corners.

dunx 21 March 2009 10:40 PM

Then you need to find out the weight of each set-up, as I find the PF set-up fantastic on my bug-eye, but it's a road car that strays onto tracks...

dunx

JB1 23 March 2009 01:26 AM

I changed to the AP 355 conversion and tried the DS 2500 and DS 3000 pads, Both gave some problems and we went for Padgets, which I'm still using. Lots of noise though when they aren't really hot. On track we found that we needed to add some ducting due to temp but now we are back down to 600deg they are awsome. Very good feel, and very progressive.

If you have the money then get them, they are so worth it.

D1CCY 23 March 2009 09:08 PM

As JB1 says (and I forgot to mention) ventilation makes a huge difference. I don't have ducting but I have cut large holes in the insides of my front wheelarches and leave the fog light covers off (Blob STi). Gets air behind the wheels and does the trick. Also put similar pads to rear brakes to keep braking effort even and not overload the fronts.

OE Brembo discs weigh 10kg, Discs on bells PF for Brembo or AP are both about 8kg so either a useful saving. Also decent lightweight wheels PFF7 ot TD 1.2 are 8kg vs OE STi golds at 12kg. Difference is noticeable.

Strip interior of an STi and fit lightweight seats saves c70kg, sadly roll cage adds 28kg but stiffens chassis.