ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Audi RS3 may get Green light (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/753673-audi-rs3-may-get-green-light.html)

stilover 17 March 2009 05:15 PM

Audi RS3 may get Green light

PistonHeads Headlines

The car Audi said they'd never build.

Quite like the sound of this. Would expect £35k, 340bhp & AWD. :thumb:

HankScorpio 17 March 2009 05:24 PM

Stick in the turbo V6 from the current S4 and put my name down :D

Janspeed 17 March 2009 08:35 PM

They may detune the RS3 so that the hairdressers dont feel "cheated" after having spent a fortune on the TT-RS...................

pippyrips 18 March 2009 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 8582744)

I've sen a 550bhp version on this motor transplanted into a B7 RS4. It is doing 0-60 in 2.9 seconds!!!

SPEN555 18 March 2009 12:48 AM

rs3 with 5 pot :cool:

price however :(

Hoppy 18 March 2009 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 8582744)

Put my name down anyway :) Especially if they make the DSG box an option in this one.

Hank, new S4 is super'd, and it's fore-aft not transverse. And heavier. I prefer the tuning potential of a turbo, too.

I think there's a good chance this car might be good for well over 400/400 with just a chip, if it gets the TT-RS motor as is. Could be ballistic :D

Hoppy 18 March 2009 02:49 AM

Tiptronic advice please

Oops! Double post

Andy M3 18 March 2009 10:42 AM

5 pot mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Matteeboy 18 March 2009 12:10 PM

Will it handle though?
The S3 handles well because it uses a relatively lightweight 4 pot. Apart from the RS4, it's one of the very few post Quattro cars that does handle.

Audi just seem to roll out car after car with silly power but massive weight, usually too far up front and dead steering.

MattW 18 March 2009 12:55 PM

Current S3 has a DSG box also, clled STronic.

I'd have one, am holding off an upgrade in case it hppens :D

stilover 18 March 2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8584465)
Will it handle though?
The S3 handles well because it uses a relatively lightweight 4 pot. Apart from the RS4, it's one of the very few post Quattro cars that does handle.

Audi just seem to roll out car after car with silly power but massive weight, usually too far up front and dead steering.

Think they'll do more than just shove a new engine in an S3 and stick an RS badge on it.

Would expect a lower ride height, wider track with extended arches. With wider track will come upgraded shocks/dampers. I'm sure that even with a 5 pot engine up front, it'll handle better than the current S3.

If Audi don't go silly on price, I'd love one of these. As long as Bucket seats, flat bottomed steering wheel, and magnetic ride came as standard, would you really need to raid the options list?

Ipod connection, Bose speakers would be all I'd need on top of standard.

Current S3 (in standard trim) is what? £27k?
RS3 for £35k seems about right.

Would need the full 340bhp though.

dpb 18 March 2009 12:57 PM

its not an exciting looking car is now is it :Whatever_

Hoppy 18 March 2009 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8584465)
Will it handle though?

Got to agree with Mat. The philosphy with Audi S cars appears to be, just take the standard model and stick a big engine in it, put some stiffer struts on it and big wheels so it looks good.

But RS cars are much more focused. In the RS4, the engine is lowered and moved back a couple of inches (which it can be because doesn't need room for an auto box) and the bonnet and wings are alloy. Plus all the other stuff.

And in the TT-RS, they make a big point of how the engine was chosen because of its light weight, which they needed since you can't do much about shifting the weight of a transvers engine backwards. The turbo route also gives far better economy than a big NA motor, and marketing loves the throw-back to the original 5 cyl turbo Quattro.

In other words, RS cars are properly sorted in the fundamentals and worth the extra. Which doesn't explain why the RS6 weighs 2.2 tones :D

rabbos 18 March 2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 8584567)

Thats an S3 in the pic, as the RS3 hasn't been outside of some audi blokes brain as of yet.

Hoppy 18 March 2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 8584567)

No, and I think that is part of Audi's brand appeal. They are generally understated and discreet. That is one of the things I really like about my black S4 - it is completely annonymous.

If you want flash and chav, get a Focus RS :lol1:

RyanSTI 19 March 2009 09:21 PM

buy the normal one and map it with a miltek and panel, and you'll be knocking on 340 already.

richs2891 19 March 2009 10:51 PM

Audi's S and RS models appeal - well for me anyway is the discreet understated looks - no silly big spoilers etc - ok goes a bit wrong on the TT RS. I've had hardly any idiots try it on in my S3, I had loads of corsa etc try it on in my previous Scoobies.

Ryan STI - you correct 340 is easily achievable with a full milltek and remap - 320 is available with just a remap ! Had mine done lat week.
Richard

spectrum48k 22 March 2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by rsarjantson (Post 8588201)
Audi's S and RS models appeal - well for me anyway is the discreet understated looks - no silly big spoilers etc - ok goes a bit wrong on the TT RS. I've had hardly any idiots try it on in my S3, I had loads of corsa etc try it on in my previous Scoobies.

Ryan STI - you correct 340 is easily achievable with a full milltek and remap - 320 is available with just a remap ! Had mine done lat week.
Richard

How do you find the S3 ? I'm thinking of getting one of these for the wife (I'll drive it more than her!)

Considering its a 2L turbo, what's the fuel economy like ? Did the remap effect consumption much ?

I want something small with AWD and DSG so I thought of one of these, or possibly the new GTI-R Golf ?