ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   why is St Patrick's day celebrated so much (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/753584-why-is-st-patricks-day-celebrated-so-much.html)

salsa-king 17 March 2009 08:08 AM

why is St Patrick's day celebrated so much

is it just an excuse for a booze up?

everyone seem to jump on the band wagon and have irish roots.

why isn't St Georges day promoted more for a big party?

JackClark 17 March 2009 08:13 AM

The short answer is Guinness.

spireite 17 March 2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 8581754)
is it just an excuse for a booze up?

everyone seem to jump on the band wagon and have irish roots.

why isn't St Georges day promoted more for a big party?

Pc brigade don't like us English lot having celebrations :thumb:

Nat 17 March 2009 08:16 AM

God knows. Fair enough if you're Irish but the amount of plastic paddys is a joke.

I always wish people happy St Georges day but anyone wishing me happy st patricks gets a scowl in return unless i'm in Ireland. And i'd never go to Ireland.

Nat 17 March 2009 08:17 AM

And yeah, it's clever marketing by Guiness (horrid stuff).

Nearly as clever as Coca Cola which we can all thank for making Santa wear a big Red coat.

David Lock 17 March 2009 08:40 AM

It irks me that Adams and his sidekick are off to meet the President of the USA. I'd have thought Obama had better things to do than waste his time with these killers :mad:

No doubt they will be loudly condemning the recent killings - things that they would have been proud of just a few years ago.

dl

4X4BOB 17 March 2009 08:58 AM

It's an easy answer . . . . . . For the CRAIC!

TopBanana 17 March 2009 09:03 AM

They've asked the kids to come in to nursery dressed in green today. We live in Berkshire :confused:. I suppose it's just a bit of fun.

hutton_d 17 March 2009 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 8581803)
They've asked the kids to come in to nursery dressed in green today. We live in Berkshire :confused:. I suppose it's just a bit of fun.

I hope next month they'll be asking the kids to come dressed in white and red??

St Georges Day - A Site for England

Dave

David Lock 17 March 2009 09:35 AM

Perhaps they could take some toy guns and make some "bombs" out of paper mache? A bit of ketchup and some sticky out pretend bones for the "victims" even. d

Jamie 17 March 2009 09:52 AM

James O'Mara invented it so all the daft talking lepricorns can get pissed again :)

davegtt 17 March 2009 09:59 AM

As said, an excuse to get pissed...

TonyG 17 March 2009 10:58 AM

Isn't it just another American import - bit like Halloween, but with Guinness instead of Trick or treat?
Don't think I'll be celebrating it - don't like Guinness.

Jamie 17 March 2009 11:11 AM

Tony> James O'Mara was born in that silly land August 1873 he was a nationalist leader
he introduced the bill which made Saint Patrick's Day:D

Leslie 17 March 2009 11:13 AM

Maybe its because the Irish revere the memory of their patron saint. And its a good excuse for everyone else anyway!

Les :)

STi-Frenchie 17 March 2009 11:40 AM

It's a day for the Irish to celebrate their patron saint and their irishness and to welcome those who have any irish blood in their viens and also friends even if they aren't Irish.

Happy St Patrick's Day to one and all even if you aren't Irish. Hoist a drink, celebrate life and be joyful.

Fat Boy 17 March 2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8581843)
Perhaps they could take some toy guns and make some "bombs" out of paper mache? A bit of ketchup and some sticky out pretend bones for the "victims" even. d

Let me guess -you're either a Daily Mail or a Daily Express reader :rolleyes:

Let's try some other sweeping generalisations, shall we? On St George's Day maybe the surrey nursery will ask all kids to come to school in white vans, with skinhead cuts, tattoos,a pit bull on each arm and a bucketfull of xenophobic ignorance to boot? No? Didn't think so...

I'm Irish and I consider your statement ill educated bollox of the highest order.

Jamie 17 March 2009 01:49 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/stealthy/e045.gif

TopBanana 17 March 2009 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 8582262)
I'm Irish and I consider your statement ill educated bollox of the highest order.

Struck me as odd too... but I think he was referring to his earlier post.

CrisPDuk 17 March 2009 02:16 PM

The same thing was asked by the teachers at my neice's school :wonder:

She's gone dressed in Orange today :D

JimmyBFC 17 March 2009 02:19 PM

Let's try some other sweeping generalisations, shall we? On St George's Day maybe the surrey nursery will ask all kids to come to school in white vans, with skinhead cuts, tattoos,a pit bull on each arm and a bucketfull of xenophobic ignorance to boot? No? Didn't think so...

I actually considered it quite funny :razz::D

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 8582333)
The same thing was asked by the teachers at my neice's school

She's gone dressed in Orange today

lol

SetoN 17 March 2009 02:32 PM

I'm not Irish but will be going out for a few Guiness tonight with my mate who trys his best to be Irish as his parents both are, bless him with his manc accent :Whatever_

Anyway, yeah just a good reason to have a drink.

I wish they did more on St. George's day, this country needs a bit a patriotism back. Saddens me to see so many people go out on St.paddys night but not even realise its St. Georges day.

Make it a public holiday and bring back the street partys, divert all business calls to call centres in Scotland, NI and Wales and let the party begin :D:D:thumb:

SetoN

Scoobychick 17 March 2009 02:40 PM

I've been horribly drunk on many a St. Patricks Day night and have no Irish blood in me whatsoever but just got into the Irish spirit :D I wish we did something similar for St. Georges Day, why don't the English celebrate it?

unclebuck 17 March 2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 8581821)
I hope next month they'll be asking the kids to come dressed in white and red??

St Georges Day - A Site for England

Dave

In your dreams. The NuLab PC brigade hate the english identity and do all they can at every opportunity to wipe it out.

Markus 17 March 2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobychick (Post 8582396)
I've been horribly drunk on many a St. Patricks Day night and have no Irish blood in me whatsoever but just got into the Irish spirit :D I wish we did something similar for St. Georges Day, why don't the English celebrate it?

Probably because we're pished every other day, so we don't need a special day as an excuse for it.

The plastic paddy's do make me chuckle, partly as I could puff out my chest and say in my best orish accent "Here's to me grandaddy Thomas" (whose parents were Irish, but moved to Chicago, where he was born and grew up there - thus he was actually a US citizen - eeew! :D - and then left and moved back to Ireland, but maintained an Irish accent throughout his life) and mix it with all the chappies who think they are Irish because their great-great-grandfather came from the fair and pleasant isle.

Leslie 17 March 2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SetoN (Post 8582379)
I'm not Irish but will be going out for a few Guiness tonight with my mate who trys his best to be Irish as his parents both are, bless him with his manc accent :Whatever_

Anyway, yeah just a good reason to have a drink.

I wish they did more on St. George's day, this country needs a bit a patriotism back. Saddens me to see so many people go out on St.paddys night but not even realise its St. Georges day.

Make it a public holiday and bring back the street partys, divert all business calls to call centres in Scotland, NI and Wales and let the party begin :D:D:thumb:

SetoN

I can do nothing but fully support that!

Les :)

CrisPDuk 17 March 2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SetoN (Post 8582379)

Back before they relaxed the licencing laws, the Landlady of my local applied for a late licence for St Georges Day, and was denied :(
After every pub in the area had been granted one for St Patricks :mad:

bigsinky 17 March 2009 04:36 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^PMSL. you tell 'em paddy. the irish had a culture 3000 years before the egyptians ffs. what have you english got. even tolkien admitted he was saddened by the english mythos. "empoverish chap book myth", while the celts (irish, scots and even the welsh to some extent) had a thriving mythos and culture passed down for millenia. the Fir Bolg, Tuatha de Danaan, Milesians, Setanta (Cúchulainn in the Ulster cycle) etc. we have a heritage here in ireland and even though christianity only really came to the emerald isle from circa 4th - 5th century(by a welsh man no less), we all like to remember our pagan hertitage, we also have another language as well. Slàinte

New_scooby_04 17 March 2009 05:37 PM

LOL Let's keep it good humoured folks, and refain from too many Irish jokes as they upset people....

With that in mind: Two Eskimo's walking across an iceberg, one turns to the other and says.
Hey Paddy! ;) :D

*Runs*

bigsinky 17 March 2009 05:39 PM

hey watch it, we play tig with hatchets over here, and i know where you live ;)