ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Answer this Question guys. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/753157-answer-this-question-guys.html)

deangtiuk 15 March 2009 10:26 AM

Answer this Question guys.

Ok so I've played a bit more with the car and will soon be in the hands of a mapper again soon.
Phoned a few very reputable places as quoted on SN.
The car already has ECUTEK so don't need to buy the license.
Prices range from £650 from one mapper
through to £240 from another.
The most expensive and the most cheapest are highly recommended on here
so can't see why quoted more than double from one place to other.
Both places knew I have already got ECUTEK, both have 4wd rolling road, neither have mapped the car before and both have many years of experience.
Very strange. :confused:

scooby1doo1 15 March 2009 11:16 AM

£650 that would be from??? seems like they want to rip you.

chocolate_o_brian 15 March 2009 11:27 AM

Theres clearly been a misunderstanding with regards to the ECU licence which you should possess. Without the licence a map is around £600-650, with its about £250-300.

Very much doubt a reputable and well known mapper on here would look to rip you off, especially given the bandwagon/snowball effect it would create on here :freak3:

I'd ring around again and make sure it's know the car has the ECU and licence and see what a "tweak" map would cost. I'd have thought this would quash any misunderstandings as above :)

deangtiuk 15 March 2009 01:13 PM

I definatly told them I had a ECUTEK already on the car, so wouldn't need to buy a license again, and he promptly said "oh that knocks £150 of the price so it would be between £500-£650 +VAT depending on RR time. I will ring again and see what they say this time.

chocolate_o_brian 15 March 2009 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by deangtiuk (Post 8578068)
I definatly told them I had a ECUTEK already on the car, so wouldn't need to buy a license again, and he promptly said "oh that knocks £150 of the price so it would be between £500-£650 +VAT depending on RR time. I will ring again and see what they say this time.

Oof... I take back my first comment then. That does seem expensive. I would look at someone who maps on the road mainly. Sure a map tweak shouldn't be more than about £300 for most mappers. Why pay £650 for a ECUTEK map, and then another £650 for a tweak of the same map. The licence has been purchased so should knock the tweaking price down considerably.

If it was me, I'd be avoiding said company unless theres more to it that I haven't seen :wonder:

deangtiuk 15 March 2009 01:33 PM

No mate exactly as you see it, have never used the said company so cannot comment on the quality of work or service, Think I will be using a road mapper. Just make sure you people ring around as you can save yourself a load of money.
Dean.

the bear1986 15 March 2009 05:44 PM

thus is a good point as i have the same prob witha tuner in norwich saying if i have a echtek i would still have to pay £500 plus to get it remapped as the car is running a little bit lean and not rich is this right???

dunx 15 March 2009 06:14 PM

I would expect the bill to be higher if using a RR, as that's an extra cost to be added, I guess £70 + VAT an hour would be cheap...
2 hours is £160 + £350 for mapper = £500 as near as dammit.

dunx

P.S. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you have an Ecutek licence, not just someone's word that it has, as that's a nasty surprise on the day, PPP doesn't count by the way !

deangtiuk 15 March 2009 06:43 PM

No definatly has got ecutek, has been mapped once but I'm modifying once again so will need it done again, best quote has I have at the moment is £120 a hour that rolling road with a mapper and he reckons it shouldn't go over two hours.

Marx Mcrae 15 March 2009 06:52 PM

talk to jollygreenmonster, he's a member on here

dunx 15 March 2009 08:52 PM

Sounds about right.

Good luck.

dunx

Proby521 16 March 2009 11:17 AM

Dean,

Are you going to be using someone local with a 4wd RR, or are you travelling? Just asking as I would like a mapping session, and also live in Wolves. If you don't want to mention names openly, would you PM me mappers detalis? Keep us updated anyways!

deangtiuk 16 March 2009 09:04 PM

Spoke to a Mapper who is coming to the midlands in 4 weeks is name is Andrew Carr. Road map which wipes the original map and rewrites in road conditions sounds good to me.