ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Bugs / Feature Requests Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/bugs-feature-requests-archive-429/)
-   -   Search (https://www.scoobynet.com/bugs-feature-requests-archive-429/752556-search.html)

banny sti 12 March 2009 02:16 PM

Search

Why does the search not include the market place section :confused:

Banny

mit 12 March 2009 02:17 PM

It does for me, you doing an advanced search?

banny sti 12 March 2009 02:25 PM

Must be only be SN+ and paid members that get access to it, as it is the same on advanced search for me.

Banny

banny sti 16 March 2009 10:45 AM

Would be good to get a proper explanation on this

Banny

ALi-B 16 March 2009 11:31 AM

It looks like non+ members can't search the market place. I suspect this is non-intentional, Stu will need to clarify that.

banny sti 16 March 2009 02:34 PM

Cheers Ali :)

Banny

banny sti 23 March 2009 11:47 AM

Any updates?

dazdavies 25 March 2009 12:52 AM

Search is quite frankly crap.

Did a search on 1/4 mile times. Top Result? Jade Goody's funeral!!

come on guys please sort this!!

DJ Dunk 25 March 2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 8599392)
Search is quite frankly crap.

Did a search on 1/4 mile times. Top Result? Jade Goody's funeral!!

come on guys please sort this!!

Please read the sticky at the top of the page on how to use the search.

Searching for: "1/4" "mile" "time" brings up plenty of relevant results.

banny sti 25 March 2009 04:18 PM

DJ Dunk it seems like my question is being avoided?

Banny

DJ Dunk 25 March 2009 04:46 PM

Not at all Banny, I'll bring it to Stu's attention.

dazdavies 26 March 2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 8599656)
Please read the sticky at the top of the page on how to use the search.

Searching for: "1/4" "mile" "time" brings up plenty of relevant results.

Its dead simple,

I want to search for something. I type that into the search box and results are posted based on what i wanted to search for.

I should not have to read a sticky thread with detailed instructions on how to search for something before I have to search for it

Don't put the blame back on me it should just bloody work. Every other site I go on manages to get it right why can't SN?

But I'll do it your rough shod way in the future.

DJ Dunk 26 March 2009 01:21 PM

ScoobyNet uses vBulletin and also, as far as I am aware, now uses their search functionality (for this version of vB).

Simply typing: 1/4 mile times will return results with at least one of those words (not all); which of course isn't always what you want. Using quotes ensures that all words or phrases are returned in the resulting posts or threads.

Not all forums use the same software and search mechanisms, so they all differ.

Nobody is blaming anyone, it's not my rough shod way, I'm just trying to help you use the new functionality effectively. It is different to the old way, but it is also more powerful and an improvement on the old search when used correctly.

dazdavies 26 March 2009 03:01 PM

Funny that another forum I use (Vbulletin ver 3.8.0) produces accurate search results without ths workaround.

But thanks for pointing me in the right direction as I'd have never known without being refered to the sticky in a section I very seldom frequent.

Evolution Stu 26 March 2009 03:46 PM

Dont worry guys, this is on teh list to be looked at / rectified.

DJ Dunk 26 March 2009 03:48 PM

ScoobyNet is currently on a lower version than 3.8, as I understand, as part of an upgrade path to newer revisions. It may be that your other forum is using an alternative search, as SN may be, I'm not privy to the full specs. All I can do is assist in using the tools we're given until we are supplied with something you may feel is more effective.

We don't get too many queries regarding the search function since putting the sticky in here, but if the feeling is that the majority would benefit from this information then we could put one in busier forums where it can get more airtime if you think it may help?

Edit: Well, there you go, Stu's comment as I was typing confirm that you shouldn't have to use the rough shod way for too long ;)

Evolution Stu 26 March 2009 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 8579891)
It looks like non+ members can't search the market place. I suspect this is non-intentional, Stu will need to clarify that.

Should be fixed now and all members have full search facilities.

banny sti 27 March 2009 08:45 PM

Thanks Stu :thumb:

Banny