ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Porsche Nuts (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/752495-porsche-nuts.html)

Spooky Mulder 12 March 2009 12:41 AM

Porsche Nuts

For those of you who enjoy evo and Porsches I have bought into the shameless marketing and am currently enjoying reading Porsche Supercars an evo special.

OK - it is a bit pricey (couple gallons of super) but a great read of all their Porsche articles over the past ten years.

The fact that they consistently rate the GT3 as the greatest 911 since sliced bread helps ;)

If you love 996 Turbo's then it is probably not such a great book to have on your coffee table ;)

stilover 12 March 2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder (Post 8571005)
If you love 996 Turbo's then it is probably not such a great book to have on your coffee table ;)

Why's that then? Because the GT3 is regarded as the best 911 (as a pure drivers car) the Turbo is a dog compared to it?

Same car, different configuration.

GT3 - is aimed at the hardcore RWD Trackday driver who wants the purest drive that Porsche can offer them.

Turbo - is aimed at those who just want to go supercar fast in any condition without having to correct oversteer at every corner.

They are both better than each other in different situations.

Porsche makes different flavour's of 911 to suit the taste of as many customers as possible.

Nat 12 March 2009 10:43 AM

I thought the 73 RS was the best ever? ;)

I've driven one and thought it was better than the 99 GT3 and 996 TT at least...

ALi-B 12 March 2009 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8571303)

I've driven one and thought it was better than the 99 GT3 and 996 TT at least...

I'll second that, I driven a mid 70's 911 modified to RS spec (albeit more powerful); Proper animal :D

Although I haven't driven a GT3 or TT, only hum drum 996s and C4s of which are like driving a heavy blancmange in comparison.

hodgy0_2 12 March 2009 11:23 AM

oh boy -- after reading threads like these for the last few weeks/months

I made the mistake of looking at some 2nd hand kit on the www, and wow for 20/30k you can pick up some serious metal

I would love a 993 (Blue/White leather), my Wife would kill me though, but I bet if you bought well, you wouldn,t loose much money, especially if the economy picks up in 4/5 years

Nat 12 March 2009 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 8571353)
I'll second that, I driven a mid 70's 911 modified to RS spec (albeit more powerful); Proper animal :D

Although I haven't driven a GT3 or TT, only hum drum 996s and C4s of which are like driving a heavy blancmange in comparison.

For sure.

300Kg lighter = 300X more fun imo :)

zip106 12 March 2009 06:27 PM

Hmmm, it's funny, but I'm one of those rare breed of people who buy a car because it's the one they want, not because a magazine says they are the best ever.

What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.
;)

Spooky Mulder 12 March 2009 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8571298)
Why's that then? Because the GT3 is regarded as the best 911 (as a pure drivers car) the Turbo is a dog compared to it?

Same car, different configuration.

GT3 - is aimed at the hardcore RWD Trackday driver who wants the purest drive that Porsche can offer them.

Turbo - is aimed at those who just want to go supercar fast in any condition without having to correct oversteer at every corner.

They are both better than each other in different situations.

Porsche makes different flavour's of 911 to suit the taste of as many customers as possible.

It was more this comment that I had in mind

of the turbo, "It's steering feels treacly, its 4WD chassis cumbersome after the instinctive rear-drive GT3. It's stupidly rapid even at seven-tenths but it's almost as though Porshce decided that the driver was always going to be the weakest link and so removed them from the equation".

Spooky Mulder 12 March 2009 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8571303)

The 73 RS is the sliced bread :D

Spooky Mulder 12 March 2009 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 8572400)
Hmmm, it's funny, but I'm one of those rare breed of people who buy a car because it's the one they want, not because a magazine says they are the best ever.

What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.
;)

I am with you - I bought the car first and then the magazine ;) :p

Nat 12 March 2009 08:05 PM

I remember one of the best drives i ever had was after i'd been out in Peterborough with a lady and finally got my wicked way with her after dinner :)

Jumped in the RS and drove like a man possessed on the Peterborough - Northampton route at about 1am going back home. I remember being totally in the zone where you become as near to one with the machine as you're ever going to get and every gear change, braking application, corner and over-take was smooth and flawless. I can pretty much remember every mile of that drive (and i knew where all the speed cams were of course as it's a route i'd driven a hundred times before) and every noise that car made that night. I had half a tank of Optimax in Peterborough and every tyre was just right, the engine had recently been restored and was making 220BHP+ like it had been 30+ years ago when it was made.

I don't think anything could have been more perfect, and i absoutely KNEW that when i got to a certain piece of dual-carriageway and into 5th i wasn't going to lift off until the speedo and tacho wouldn't go around anymore. And i didn't. For about 5 miles. Those five miles were probably the most peaceful i'd ever driven, i can still hear the noise in my ears. I swear that noise is one of the most perfect mechanical noises i've ever heard. Flat and relenting and perfect. The car felt rock solid and made to be doing exactly that. Lifting off when i needed to was agony, it was like being in a trance but with 100% total awareness. Fecking amazing car :thumb:

Edit - Forgot to add....I was 24 years old at the time, and i was absolutely gutted because i absolutely knew that for as long as i lived it was never, ever going to get better than that :(

hodgy0_2 12 March 2009 08:56 PM

i think i,ve just wet myself

zip106 12 March 2009 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder (Post 8572604)
I am with you - I bought the car first and then the magazine ;) :p

You got lucky, then.
You just happened to pick up the right magazine :D

Spudgun GTR 12 March 2009 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder (Post 8571005)
For those of you who enjoy evo and Porsches I have bought into the shameless marketing and am currently enjoying reading Porsche Supercars an evo special.

OK - it is a bit pricey (couple gallons of super) but a great read of all their Porsche articles over the past ten years.

The fact that they consistently rate the GT3 as the greatest 911 since sliced bread helps ;)

ive recently bought the evo special too, really good for porsche fans, worth the money.

got myself a 996tt couple weeks back ,around the time i bought the evo special, yet i still enjoy reading about other porsches too, i love all 911's.

i dont feel bad about my 996tt, best car ive ever bought,i love it!

DaveMiddleton 13 March 2009 08:28 AM

Without doubt the 70's Carrera RS was/is an icon. At that time I drove on several occasions a friend's Carrera RS Touring until he sold it for a Carrera RSR (which I also drove).
At that time I had my first 911 (a secondhand 911E)
Since then I have had 5 more 911's (inc 3.3 Turbo and 993TT) interspersed with many other classic/fast cars.
Currently I have a 996TT and think it is a wonderful car for everyday use. With a re-map , it is AWESOMELY fast, it handles great on the road and , yes, it would be blown ito the weeds on a circuit by a well driven GT3; BUT I never take mine to a circuit and on the open road , the 996TT is a stunning machine with actual room for 2 people in the rear (for short journeys) which cannot be said for many other 2+2's such as Aston or AMG SL's.

Timwinner 14 March 2009 11:25 AM

As I have previously moaned about it I will join in, Well I moan about the just sold my Impreza part to help with the Porsche fund.
I wanted a 996 C4s for so long, nut the RMS issue with 996's (within my budget) is just to much of a worry, I think I am going for a 993 now.
I have some time to think it over as I am still a few quid off.