ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How do I go about finding a GOOD watchmaker ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/751771-how-do-i-go-about-finding-a-good-watchmaker.html)

jbl 09 March 2009 12:55 AM

How do I go about finding a GOOD watchmaker ?

The wife has been given her father's gold retirement watch. He received it some 30 yrs ago but can no longer see it due to failing eyesight.
It is a wristwatch, inscribed but no makers name apparent, it has not been used for many yrs, just kept in a box in a drawer.
She would like to know what make it is and have it cleaned and checked out so needs to find a good watchmaker who can do this, rather than a general watch seller--repairer.
Where does she begin to look, apart from yellow pages !??

Any ideas ?

Cheers and thanks

JBL

scoobybreaker 09 March 2009 01:09 AM

Why dont you try one off these mate.

Watches & Wristwatches Auctions at Bonhams

Might be worth sending them an email and seeing what they would advise. Or try a local auctioneers (a decent one) who will point you in the right direction failing all that contact david dickinson lol. good luck mate,

jods 09 March 2009 01:47 AM

Post a picture of the front and back on here. Also, if you can - get the back off and show a picture of the movement.

:thumb:

GC8 09 March 2009 03:18 AM

I can recommend an excellent watchmaker in Greater Manchester. You have to send stuff via Special Delivery and its returned the same way.

I have a collection of old Omegas along with several other valuable watches and I would trust him with any and all, including the Rolexes.

GC8 09 March 2009 03:24 AM

Time Repairs - Watch, Clock, Repair, Straps

jbl 09 March 2009 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the useful information and links.
I have found that the watch is a Certina and have contacted their Customer service to see if they have a local-ish outlet/repair place.
Apologies to Mods for posting the original in the wrong section, typical of doing something when tired !

Cheers
JBL

jacrobat 09 March 2009 12:23 PM

bhi - clocks, watches &amp the art and science of timekeeping

The British Horological Institute is the official body in the UK I believe.

Nat 09 March 2009 06:50 PM

As above, contact the BHI for details of a local repairer.... :)

GC8 09 March 2009 10:33 PM

Brian is a BHI graduate and I recommend him wholeheartedly. Id certainly use a BHI grad rather than the manufacturers agents!

GC8 09 March 2009 10:34 PM

Youre looking at £50-£70 to completely strip it, clean it and re-assemble it, time it and seal it. :thumb:

jbl 09 March 2009 11:44 PM

Thanks again.
Cost of clean/service is second to the quality of the work done.
I rather assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that the manufacturers' own qualified repair people would be the safest to use.
No rush so will make enquiries and decide from that.

Cheers

JBL

Iwan 10 March 2009 12:01 PM

Try giving Brendan Hoey a call, he should be able to sort you out. He did an excellent job on a 1960's Omega for me last year. :)

Watchmaker, Casemaker & enamel dial maker. Brendan Hoey

GC8 10 March 2009 02:08 PM

Any pictures Iwan?

Iwan 10 March 2009 02:57 PM

No I'm afraid not, I sold it shortly after I got it back as it was a bit small for my liking. He did a lovely job on it though.