ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   TD05 18g vs SR40 vs current mods (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/751161-td05-18g-vs-sr40-vs-current-mods.html)

Stevesbluewrx 06 March 2009 01:48 PM

TD05 18g vs SR40 vs current mods

I'm going to change the turbo on my car but want to know what results I am looking at on my MY2002 STi?

I am currently running 332.5bhp - 312lbft on my current VF35 @ 1.45bar on Surrey Rolling Road.

JGM will be the man once again getting the most out of the car but want to know what I need to get to approx 345bhp - 330lbft.

Now regards turbo, I was thinking of a TD05 18g or even a APS SR40.

Any help or tips appriciated.

Cheers
Steve

Turbotits 06 March 2009 01:57 PM

i have an 18 on my car. Very little lag, almost exactly the same as the standard turbo(vf35) just keeps going on higher up the rev range. Makes for a great drive. mine on last try was about 370bhp and 350 torque. Have since had a simtek fitted and some other mods and although hasnt been on any rollers the bum tells me it has much more torque.

Stevesbluewrx 06 March 2009 02:04 PM

Cheer Turbotits (Hmmmmmm tits. Sorry mate)

Do you have that on the EJ20 block also? What Year is your car?

I don't think my car will get results like yours mate to be honest. But higher the better to be honest. Just hope the clutch will hold out as it's my daily driver too.

Cheers
Steve

Turbotits 06 March 2009 02:12 PM

i have a 2002sti. on the o/e 2.0l block thats never been opened up. why dont you think you can acheive these results. Just takes the right mods

Stevesbluewrx 06 March 2009 03:29 PM

Holy sweet lord!!

Same as me then. lol

What mods are you running at present please? Also what rollers did you get those results on matey?

Steve

aaronhowe 06 March 2009 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx (Post 8558653)
Holy sweet lord!!

Same as me then. lol

What mods are you running at present please? Also what rollers did you get those results on matey?

Steve

If it was me Steve i'd go for the SR40. They use twin ball bearings rather than sleeve bearings. The SR40 can also make 400bhp with correct supporting mods which the 18g isn't capable of. You would need at least a 20g for that.

Just my 2p mate.

Turbotits 06 March 2009 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx (Post 8558653)
Holy sweet lord!!

Same as me then. lol

Steve

Its fully de-cated, with lateral performance headers,aps induction kit, afp td05/18g turbo and simtek ecu. It hasnt been on the rollers with the simtek fitted. Measured the figuires quoted on bob rawles laptop and on two other rolling road days within 5 or so bhp.

It now definatly has more torque on the pump fuel map and when i put e85mix in, its very different for the better. Jgm who mapped it. stopped adding timing etc to not stress it to much on e85.

Going 4 400bhp 06 March 2009 05:02 PM

Have a word with Harvey smith to mate, he has a turbo you may like;)

wrx,sti 06 March 2009 07:55 PM

Iv got a 03 wrx and i got a TD05 18G turbo which made 356.9 BHP and 333 torque at powerstation last year

Stevesbluewrx 07 March 2009 09:35 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm not sure what turbo I want? I want something that will pick up pretty low down in the rev range but will give a nice kick once you give it some beans.

I tend to use A roads and B road with the odd trip on the motorway during the week.
When I am on the A-B roads I fund sometimes the VF35 struggles to give you any power until your at at least 3,400rpm.
Motorways I am really please as the turbo holds boost really well on 5th - 6th gears.

I'm not after planet of the apes results (out of this world) but just something that is driver friendly and can give you the power when you want it.

As above really just want something that gives me a respectable result like 345bhp - 330lbft.

I know I need to take into account I have a sports cat and no ported headers but just a little bit more torque would be nice for caridgeways I use everyday.

Aaron, do you want to swap mate? LOL Didn't you have the SR40 to start with? I can't remember mate?

Steve

aaronhowe 08 March 2009 12:08 AM

Yea it was the SR40 I ran when it made 400bhp. To be honest you would probably get good results with the SR40, ported headers and if you can then go full decat. The ported headers and full decat would help with spool loads mate.

Stevesbluewrx 12 March 2009 08:01 PM

Cheers Azza (late reply I know)

I'm thinking of the 18g route now. Ported headers and wraping them.

At a guess what am I looking out with the following?

2.0 (EJ20)
18g (safe/max boost)
Ported and Wrapped headers
3" RCM Team Ice system including Sports cat
550 (PINKS)
255 Walbro Pump
oem tmic
oem air box (Grp N filter)
V- Power + 100mls of NF
ECUTEK

Steve

Stevesbluewrx 12 March 2009 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by wrx,sti (Post 8559229)
Iv got a 03 wrx and i got a TD05 18G turbo which made 356.9 BHP and 333 torque at powerstation last year

Mate, is that on a WRX and not a STi?

If a STi what are your supporting mods please?

Steve
:thumb:

hybrid12 12 March 2009 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx (Post 8558462)
I'm going to change the turbo on my car but want to know what results I am looking at on my MY2002 STi?

I am currently running 332.5bhp - 312lbft on my current VF35 @ 1.45bar on Surrey Rolling Road.

JGM will be the man once again getting the most out of the car but want to know what I need to get to approx 345bhp - 330lbft.

Now regards turbo, I was thinking of a TD05 18g or even a APS SR40.

Any help or tips appriciated.

Cheers
Steve

is it worth spending all that money on a new turbo for an extra 12 bhp that your looking forward?

Stevesbluewrx 12 March 2009 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by hybrid12 (Post 8573119)
is it worth spending all that money on a new turbo for an extra 12 bhp that your looking forward?

Point taken fella.

I see where you are coming from. If the result is more BHP then that's fine. My main reason is I want more mid range and in general lbft.

I see some results from the 18g with supporting mods and fancy having some of that. But most of them are on the 03-05 STi cars.

I need to take into account that my car is an 2002 STi (UK/Euro) and has limits.

Steve

hybrid12 12 March 2009 11:23 PM

i put some rcm headers on mine heat wrapped and found a real difference in torque and mid range

Stevesbluewrx 12 March 2009 11:31 PM

I'm sorting out some headers at present to replace my current OEM ones.

These however are only ported but with heat wrap. I was looking to get some RCM/Lateral performance headers but could not get the boss (Misses) to agree with that option.

Steve

Turbotits 13 March 2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx (Post 8573253)
Point taken fella.

I see some results from the 18g with supporting mods and fancy having some of that. But most of them are on the 03-05 STi cars.

I need to take into account that my car is an 2002 STi (UK/Euro) and has limits.

Steve

What limits does the 02sti have in comparison to the 03/05 model then? Some would say the 02 is better engine wise

Stevesbluewrx 13 March 2009 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Turbotits (Post 8573629)
What limits does the 02sti have in comparison to the 03/05 model then? Some would say the 02 is better engine wise

I have been told that the best engine is the 2003-2005 STi Blobeye's. This was from a very valid source.

I have heard the 2002 STi is very good with better internals than previous models including the 2.5 STi lumps. But cannot take anywhere near the power that the 2003-2005 STi lump can take.

Like all things I guess there are limits. I still would like to know what results I am looking at getting with the upgrades and current spec etc. I need to know if I need to budget for other stuff breaking or requires replacing in the near future.

Steve
:Suspiciou

Turbotits 14 March 2009 04:19 PM

the 2002 pistons are aledged to be better than the 2003 onwards stuff. Other than that i dont think theres that much difference in engine spec between them

Anger 14 March 2009 04:35 PM

Just get a MD321h and be over with it Gimpyboy :D

Stevesbluewrx 14 March 2009 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 8576354)
Just get a MD321h and be over with it Gimpyboy :D

Button it butt munch. :razz::thumb:

I'd love a MD321h mate but the turbo is too big for what I am going for. Seems a waste to have a turbo like that and not use the most of it. :nono: Besides you can really see her n doors letting me get one.:lol1:

Remember my car is a everyday driver Angus. Not all of us have the pleasure of using our motors at weekend to the burger van and back:hjtwofing

Gimpy

DaveBeck 15 March 2009 06:43 PM

alright gayboy.

what power do you want. set a target and aim for it.

my 18g made 361 on wrx internals but we know what happened to that engine :cry: 18g will be no issues on your car. i'd say you can run 400bhp safely mate.

get a full decat and ported headers on there and go with the SR40. should make around 375 without having to use the expensive nf

if your thinking 18g mate i might be selling mine as i want a bigger turbo for the new engine

Stevesbluewrx 19 March 2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by DaveBeck (Post 8578486)
alright gayboy.

what power do you want. set a target and aim for it.

my 18g made 361 on wrx internals but we know what happened to that engine :cry: 18g will be no issues on your car. i'd say you can run 400bhp safely mate.

get a full decat and ported headers on there and go with the SR40. should make around 375 without having to use the expensive nf

if your thinking 18g mate i might be selling mine as i want a bigger turbo for the new engine

Hey hey Nipple head. :lol1:

I've gone and done it...........I've gone for a AFP TD05H - 20g. :cuckoo:

Not really sure what results I am looking for. Anything in the 345bhp - 330lbft range I'd be happy with. If I get more then I'll be happy.

Just need to sort the headers out as someone hasn't returned a set of headers to TONE (Mr I am too busy making babies Beck:notworthy). The misses won't let me get the tubilar or GT -spec headers this month so I am running out of time to get he car mapped on 7th April with Jesus aka JGM. Not sure my current OEM's will be ok for the change in turbo?

Dave, 400bhp is a little too much for my gay style of driving mate. But would be nice. :lol1:

Steve
:D

MrNoisy 19 March 2009 05:23 PM

And here's me thinking that you'd buy Dave's 18g mate.
Sounds like everyone at Surrey Scoobs is going mad for power this year; I'll need a bloody afterburner to keep up with you lot now!

DaveBeck 19 March 2009 08:32 PM

you wish 345bhp :lol1:

with simon on the case you will be hitting 370bhp minimum mate. remember bod made 400 on standard UNPORTED headers
sports cat will restrict you when you get over 400 but your looking at 365/350 minimum imo

whole new car gimpy

Stevesbluewrx 20 March 2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by DaveBeck (Post 8587819)
you wish 345bhp :lol1:

with simon on the case you will be hitting 370bhp minimum mate. remember bod made 400 on standard UNPORTED headers
sports cat will restrict you when you get over 400 but your looking at 365/350 minimum imo

whole new car gimpy

Hey Dave,

365/350 will be nice. Not sure it will make it though. You know my luck.:Whatever_

Also going balls out and sorting some tubular headers with up-pipe three bolt jobbies. Fingers crossed. Not having much luck on getting the Turbo I want also............:cry:

Fingers crossed.

Steve

DaveBeck 20 March 2009 02:09 PM

your see it mate ;)

my RCM tubulars and 3 bolt up pipe looked the nuts. shame the car blew up 3 days after fitting them :lol1:

got my eye on a turbo at moment but im super skint. someone has said they will have my 18g but its going to cost me another £200 ontop for new injectors also. expensive business

Stevesbluewrx 20 March 2009 04:39 PM

Owned is the word your looking for sir!!

What's the history on the 18g Dave?

Did you fit the RCM headers etc? How easy or hard was it Dave? Is it the venturi up-pipe version?

Steve

DaveBeck 20 March 2009 05:05 PM

Owned indeed mate :(

18g is just over year old with 8k on it mate AF one

fitted the up pipe and headers myself with a mate but it wasnt easy at all. 2 of my downpipe bolts had siezed. you have to remove the exhaust to get to the final bolt at back of upipe/turbo
was a bitch but its a good mod to have now im going for extra power.