ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How hard is an engine change (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/750498-how-hard-is-an-engine-change.html)

Stevie-Sport 03 March 2009 07:32 PM

How hard is an engine change

Need a new engine change and dont really have the money to get the car transported from my house to a garage and then get the engine swapped. So the only option i can think of is to do it myself.

How hard is an engine change using the correct equipment.

What do i need to know?

Dan Ingram 03 March 2009 07:53 PM

Its pretty simple really if you've got an engine crane and some decent tools. If its a straight swap you could do it in a day easy. I've never taken an Impreza engine out before but I got mine out in about 3 hours. There are plenty of guides on the net to help you out :)

Stevie-Sport 03 March 2009 08:09 PM

cool. please define "decent tools" what would i need.

Im going to hire an engine lift for the weekend

scoobyc 03 March 2009 08:24 PM

tbh i think engine lits are only 50 quid to buy new!

Stevie-Sport 03 March 2009 08:27 PM

new? cheapest i found was £120 ish..

Found this.

DIY Engine Removal - Page 4 - RS25.com: Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community

Any good? is there much difference in the rs 25 and the 2.0 ?

scoobyc 03 March 2009 08:31 PM

perhaps look in the landy mags. landy stuff dirt cheap..im sure a crane is a crane tho!

weeebell 03 March 2009 08:46 PM

As long as you have basic mechanical knowledge, plenty of trolley jacks and axle stands, it shouldnt be a problem.
I took the engine out my Evo6 and from turning the ignition off to having the engine sitting beside the car, took 4 hrs and I'm no mechanic.
The loom looks scary but the plugs can really only go on 1 way.

Just take your time, label everything if your not sure and youll have no probs.:thumb:

Stevie-Sport 03 March 2009 08:48 PM

quality :D i have a half decent mechanical knowledge, but trust me im no expert and this is a first..

Plenty of trolley jacks and axels stands?

surely 2 stands and a trolley jack for the transmission would be sufficient, unless i have missed something

Spec'c'57 03 March 2009 08:50 PM

As above Its very easy, an average tool kit should be fine TBH i did one with just that. worst thing is exhaust removal or gearbox, ;) make sure you know how to disconnect.

Stevie-Sport 03 March 2009 08:54 PM

the only tutorial i found was that one on RB25.com...

Surely it cant be that different

merlin24 03 March 2009 09:14 PM

download the appropriate workshop manual from SN - tells you everything you need to know.

Mick

Stevie-Sport 03 March 2009 09:15 PM

where is that ?

Dan Ingram 03 March 2009 10:03 PM

That guide on RS25 is ideal. There is no difference in removing the 2.5 to the 2.0 as far as I can tell. The only bit I struggled with is separating the engine from the box. There is a large plug on the passenger side of the gear box next to the release fork. You need to remove that with a large alen key, once thats out you can screw a 6mm bolt in to the shaft thats sat in the hole. Pull on the bolt that you have screwed in and it will pull a big shaft out. Now you can lift the release fork up and the engine and box can be seperated.

Stevie-Sport 03 March 2009 10:49 PM

awesome... feeling a little more confident to have a bash myself.. Will get a mate around to help out..

Will probably get a better socket set as i have a limited selection..