ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Please Help - HPI info (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/750019-please-help-hpi-info.html)

Ms Gooner 1 01 March 2009 10:09 PM

Please Help - HPI info

I'm going to buy a car tomorrow - but the guy i'm buying from only bought the car from trade in December - he's selling for work/insurance reasons! He seems pretty genuine and says that he bought it for cash in December - which isn't unheard of I know.
Anyway - i'd like to HPI it to see about outstanding finance - but on the sites i'm finding online it wants VIN/Chassis numbers and DVLA serial numbers? How would i know that info unless i buy the car?
Anyone know where i can get these details WITHOUT all those serial numbers? I know i can send a text for £3 but that only checks police interst and write off/accident damage.
Help much appreciated as I'm due to get it tomorrow morning :D

mart360 01 March 2009 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1 (Post 8547602)
I'm going to buy a car tomorrow - but the guy i'm buying from only bought the car from trade in December - he's selling for work/insurance reasons! He seems pretty genuine and says that he bought it for cash in December - which isn't unheard of I know.
Anyway - i'd like to HPI it to see about outstanding finance - but on the sites i'm finding online it wants VIN/Chassis numbers and DVLA serial numbers? How would i know that info unless i buy the car?
Anyone know where i can get these details WITHOUT all those serial numbers? I know i can send a text for £3 but that only checks police interst and write off/accident damage.
Help much appreciated as I'm due to get it tomorrow morning :D

IF i recall, the reg check will tell if its stolen or wrtiien off.

sounds like your going to buy it whatever comes back from hpi, :D ;)

And your going to buy it tommorow, & you dont know the vin & other details..

i would be very very dubious, until i had all the checks done

Mart

Aaron1978 01 March 2009 10:37 PM

Contact the guy and ask for the vin number, if he's got nothing to hide he should tell you it.

SunnySideUp 01 March 2009 11:11 PM

As above - get the info from the seller - it is all on the Docs anyway.

If it's genuine they will supply it - if there is any excuse, and I mean ANY excuse ....... I would advise you NOT to buy until you have satisfied yourself of the details.

He bought from the trade and is trying to sell on at a profit quite clearly - BUT has he registered the car as his?? I would be VERY, VERY wary if the car is not registered to him at the address you visit!!!!

He could be a dealer saying he is private ..................... or worse!!

If in any doubt WALK AWAY!!!!

Snazy 01 March 2009 11:55 PM

Got a registration ?

Ms Gooner 1 02 March 2009 07:16 AM

I did it last night from the HPI link on Pistonheads - turns out it provides YOU with the vin etc and you can double check it to the car - YAY :luxhello:

Anyway - my better half is on his way to get it now - so by lunchtime the new baby should be home :luvlove: as the HPi came back clean and clear with no finance (being my biggest worry)

so its off to the dark side for me :Suspiciou

Snazy 02 March 2009 10:14 AM

Yeah thats generally how HPI should work lol

Glad its worked out ok for you.