ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Do you need a re-map after De-Cat (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/748889-do-you-need-a-re-map-after-de-cat.html)

sammydice 25 February 2009 12:18 PM

Do you need a re-map after De-Cat

Hi..

Quick question...my car is 2003 STI Type UK

It already has a Afterburner backbox and the resonator section has been replaced.

If I fit a decat\sports cat down pipe and decat centre pipe will the car need to be remapped straight away ? - Hayward ans Scott are literally 5 mins from where I live you see so de-catting should be easy enough - then I can arrange re-map later...

I heard induction kits can make the scooby run lean unless it's remapped but what about de-cats ?

Cheers

Ian

STI-FINNY 25 February 2009 12:58 PM

i had a 04 STI hayward and scott de-catted and it run fine i had the full exhaust system replaced without a re map. + a different air filter and ran fine not 1 problem at all, all you would need is a lamba sensor bypass for the ECU which they should supply / fit to stop throwing up faults.

ross_wrx 25 February 2009 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by STI-FINNY (Post 8537125)
i had a 04 STI hayward and scott de-catted and it run fine i had the full exhaust system replaced without a re map. + a different air filter and ran fine not 1 problem at all, all you would need is a lamba sensor bypass for the ECU which they should supply / fit to stop throwing up faults.

How do you reverse the Lambda Sensor Bypass? My car is decatted but I would like to replace it with a sports cat so will need the sensor back.

:D

TonyBurns 25 February 2009 01:25 PM

New Age STI's NEED a remap after a decat unless you want to be paying out for an engine rebuild, they boost spike which causes det and this ends up killing the engine.

Tony:)

GazTheHat 25 February 2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8537186)
New Age STI's NEED a remap after a decat unless you want to be paying out for an engine rebuild, they boost spike which causes det and this ends up killing the engine.

As above. Not worth the risk!

After decatting i had the CEL light on within 5 miles. I kept it below 3k RPM and off boost until the remap the following day.

Boro 25 February 2009 01:43 PM

Never worth the risk with an STi, however WRX's are fine without an urgent remap.

scooby L 25 February 2009 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8537186)

+1 :thumb:

Again.... very big gamble....my STI was spiking all over the place, with huge amounts of det (that was with just a de-cat down pipe and keeping the middle cat in)

Not worth the risk imho

scooby L 25 February 2009 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 8537209)
As above. Not worth the risk!

After decatting i had the CEL light on within 5 miles. I kept it below 3k RPM and off boost until the remap the following day.

That CEL would have been most likely from the O2 sensor reading not from DET, but better to be safe than sorry...;)

GC8 25 February 2009 02:23 PM

Yes they do.

sammydice 25 February 2009 03:10 PM

Thank Guys - Thanks exactly what I need to know....

Jolly Green Monster 25 February 2009 03:33 PM

yes needs a map ;)