ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   to mod or to buy that is the question (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/748295-to-mod-or-to-buy-that-is-the-question.html)

stevie1982 23 February 2009 11:36 AM

to mod or to buy that is the question

right here is the deal

i have a p1 which i love to bits which is up at to about 340/340 had the suspension done with some white line bits, defi's, knock link, remap etc etc.

clutch has gone so off to API for an uprated cluctch and flywheel also picked up a 6 speed sti box which they wil fit.

i am torn between fitting the box and then going for a forge 2.5ltr and 321t+
which will cost a fair bit but will be (i hope) an amazing car when finished

or

with the money invest in a litchfield type 20 05 blobeye or a later hawkeye spec c

i love my p1 but not sure if i want to spend that kind of money on it when i can get something newer but then the money i will spend modding the newage car on top of the purchace price will work out to be more than the modding the p1 route.

what would you do?
and what value do you think the p1 would have after all the work was done bearing in mind it would all be done by API nad mapped by Bob Ralwe

to mod or to buy that is the question?

anyone been in the same place and which option did you go for and why

regards

steve

biggazvr6 23 February 2009 02:38 PM

IVe spent over 12 grand in total on purchase of my my99 wagon in the last 12 months, and i think its every bit worth it, ive put 6 spd in mine and am hoping to go down same rout as you. IMO stick with P1, there getting rarer in minty condish:thumb:

stevie1982 23 February 2009 02:45 PM

cheers mate, sometimes i really want to do it others i think it maybe a waste of cash when i could get a newer car but i love the p1 and ahve driven a uk sti, sti ppp, wr1 and none have felt the same. so thought of a type20 or spec c but i still think that a 450bhp (ish) p1 would be even better than those other options.

what do you all think?

wiley 23 February 2009 02:50 PM

get another car while they're so cheap, but depends if you gonna be selling the p1 anytime soon

wiley

GazTheHat 23 February 2009 02:54 PM

Toughy!

Sure, the P1 will be an awesome machine after the planned mods, but it will be quite a lot of cash down the drain. There wouldn't be much that would keep with it though.

I would probably get a hawkeye Spec C though. An altogether newer car and with a remap to about 370/370. That will be pretty damn fine too, albeit not as brutal as the P1.

:wonder:

stevie1982 23 February 2009 03:13 PM

see i would have to sell to get another car so at best may get 7k for my p1 as market value has hit rock bottom.

wiley i no what you mean buy them while they are cheap but can you really see them going up in value, who in the right mind will pay more for a car this time next year.

gaz i think the spec c may clinch it but then there would be a further 2k on mapping fuel pump etc so i would end up spending more.

arhhhh dilemas i guess life woul dbe quiet without them

steve

GazTheHat 23 February 2009 03:26 PM

Either way, i wouldn't mind having the dillemas you've got. :)

What credit-crunch?!? :lol1:

stevie1982 23 February 2009 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 8531993)
Either way, i wouldn't mind having the dillemas you've got. :)

What credit-crunch?!? :lol1:

ha i know not a bad place to be in i guess, but still cant make my mind up

might have to bite the buliet and mod the p1 and keep it for a year or two

steve

scooby1doo1 23 February 2009 05:25 PM

When you finish modin, you will have 1 fast p1. Mod i say, saying that you will just mod the next 1:norty:

stevie1982 23 February 2009 05:26 PM

ha who say's ther will be a next one!!! would be hard to top the P1 after that

steve

greatgonzo 23 February 2009 05:55 PM

Spec C :thumb:

wolfie28 23 February 2009 06:39 PM

Steve - read the start of your first post "i have a p1 which i love to bits".

Says it all really :thumb:.

Personally I would mod what you've got. You know the history of the car, its a P1 :luvlove: and 450bhp (all though very expensive to do) in a classic would be ballistic. Getting a good price for your P1, buying a good Spec C and eventually modding that are all hoops you'd have to jump through. Have you driven a Spec C you might prefer your P1.

JonMc 23 February 2009 07:14 PM

It's a buyers market at the moment, so while you could by another cheap, even with the collector status of a P1 I doubt you would get your money back. Plus, as soon as you buy another one you'll only start again, so you may as well keep the one you've got and finish it off to the spec you want.

BTW, the only reason I got rid of my last modded car was because it was too expensive to keep on the road. Had it not needed so much welding I would probably have kept on throwing money at it. I do have some regrets at never having completed the last respray and getting the body finished quite how I wanted it, but I'm now working through those regrets with the scooby:D

stevie1982 24 February 2009 09:18 AM

cheers guys from the tuners i have spoke with most if not al have said to keep the p1, two have said it was one of the best chasiss to use (not sure if that is true myself) and it would make for one hell of a car which will be hard to beat and to get the same feeling from a newage car i would have to spending the same sort of cash on it excluding the cost price.

thanks for all your advice i am straying towards keeping it,

regards

steve

53 24 February 2009 09:24 AM

Keep the P1, you will spend a fortune getting a new age to feel the same.;)

P555SBR 03 March 2009 06:25 PM

easy find a spec c or type 20 at a car dealer and take it for a test drive see what you think then sit down and wounder whats the best option is my personal view would be to keep the p1 there the one of of the best classics around

stevie1982 04 March 2009 10:33 AM

the p1 agree is the best looking classic in my opinion, thing is i'm sure i will be looking at best part of 10k to do the work which is a hell of a lot of cash to spend on a car when a newer one can be bought, but as mentioned i will only ending up spending another 3k on tuning the new car which will still end up not being as brutle, i hate dilemas even if they are nice ones to have

steve

APIDavid 10 March 2009 06:20 PM

Mod it I reckon

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Get the picture ? :D

David APi

stevie1982 10 March 2009 06:25 PM

:lol: thought that would be your view david, still it is a hell of a lot of cash to throw on a car but i guess you pay for quality parts and labour huh;)

APIDavid 11 March 2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 8567735)
:lol: thought that would be your view david, still it is a hell of a lot of cash to throw on a car but i guess you pay for quality parts and labour huh;)

Less expensive here than RCM:luxhello:

David

stevie1982 11 March 2009 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 8569117)
Less expensive here than RCM:luxhello:

David

:lol: FAIR POINT,

any chance to price those brakes up for me yet?

APIDavid 11 March 2009 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 8569179)
:lol: FAIR POINT,

any chance to price those brakes up for me yet?

They are in our courtesy car coming back from London. I need to see them before l'll commit.

The guy with the courtesy car didn't make it yesterday due to work etc. I hope [ need ] to have it back today, as it is booked out again.

Patience;)

David

stevie1982 11 March 2009 12:12 PM

no worries, cheers for keeping me in the loop and patience is not my one of my strong points:)