ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Can I get a cheque cleared quicker? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/746806-can-i-get-a-cheque-cleared-quicker.html)

falkster 16 February 2009 07:52 PM

Can I get a cheque cleared quicker?

I bank with Halifax and am getting a cheque tomorrow (from another savings account) that I will put in right away and am wondering if there is a way that I can get it cleared quicker than the usual time??

Timwinner 16 February 2009 07:55 PM

Its been a long time since I have seen a cheque but in the old days you could pay for an express service. I think it used to cost about £5. Mention it when you are paying the cheque in.

johnnyroper 16 February 2009 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by falkster (Post 8514980)
I bank with Halifax and am getting a cheque tomorrow (from another savings account) that I will put in right away and am wondering if there is a way that I can get it cleared quicker than the usual time??

i seem to remember some banks used to a quick clearence service for a small fee.
cannot remember which banks did it or even if they still do though.

m1cks 16 February 2009 09:18 PM

You can get special clearance on a cheque. IIRC it was about £12.50 but that was some time ago. The bank will phone you the next day to confirm if it will clear or be denied. Not sure if they will let you draw on the funds once payment has been confirmed though.
Talk to the customer services desk before paying it in for the best solution.
Is it that desperate yoyu cannot wait for the money? You can probably get a few days extra from people you owe money to if you can proove you have money going in. Failing that, cash converters but they will sting you badly for the "convenience" of cashing a cheque.

Boro 16 February 2009 09:27 PM

I asked about this service with Barclays about 12 months ago and they said it couldnt be done.

scarey 16 February 2009 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boro (Post 8515312)
I asked about this service with Barclays about 12 months ago and they said it couldnt be done.

that's interesting as barclays did it for me just before xmas, although they did charge me 30 quid for the privilege!

MJW 17 February 2009 08:35 AM

Ask at the counter to pay it in by 'special presentation', it cost £25 last time I did it.

Wish 17 February 2009 09:26 AM

£30 / £25

Thats shocking !!!!!!

N.I. Phil 17 February 2009 09:33 AM

Special presentation cheque with Halifax = £12

Takes 2 bank working days but its not guaranteed.

And I know that right for special reasons :hjtwofing

falkster 17 February 2009 05:46 PM

Cheers all, went into Halifax today and they said it was £12 but they couldn't guarantee whether the cheque would get to the place where it is cleared as they use royal mail so advised I waited the extra day!
Just means Ive now got to wait until after the weekend to pick up the new car.