ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   sainsburys super? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/746392-sainsburys-super.html)

adehook 15 February 2009 12:19 PM

sainsburys super?

is this any good, is it 97ron and is it still bp?

TonyBurns 15 February 2009 12:24 PM

BP isnt highly regarded when it comes to their super unleaded, most people go with either tesco's for supermarket fuel (99 ron) or Shell V power.

Tony:)

wiley 15 February 2009 12:50 PM

so tescos 99 is better than v power?? always used v power, is it worth swapping to tescos99??

wiley

SunnySideUp 15 February 2009 12:56 PM

Ha Ha .... it's petrol Jim, but not as we know it :)

Sainsburys is brilliant for my cars, I get it whenever I can.

Tesco reduces my MPG quite dramatically.

V Power good - but usually silly expensive.

TonyBurns 15 February 2009 01:01 PM

No i would say that shell has the advantage because its a refined fuel to that ron value, tesco's has more additives to boost the ron value.

Tony:)

Aaron1978 15 February 2009 01:06 PM

i would put t99 or V power in my car but use the latter is shell is not far from me and my car is mapped on it. The difference in MPG imo is offset by t99 being cheaper. I don't think either one is that much better than the other so any of these i would use. I wouldn't use any other super if i could help it.

Just my opinion.

Aaron:thumb:

wolfie28 15 February 2009 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by adehook (Post 8511160)

To answer your question - Yep its ok (but there is better fuel out there) - it is 97ron and the brand is whatever bulk purchase Sainsbury's buys at the time (I think).

adehook 15 February 2009 03:38 PM

i just put £20 of sainsburys in, at 91.9 for super it too aint bad

p060064h 15 February 2009 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by wiley (Post 8511231)
so tescos 99 is better than v power?? always used v power, is it worth swapping to tescos99??

wiley

V-power is 99 also mate.

craig.

ginger321 16 February 2009 05:58 PM

Bp ultimate anyone........
Which one performs the best in group tests?
I got mine mapped on Bp ultimate because there are bp garages near me.
Has there been any comparison tests?

Norman Dog 16 February 2009 06:54 PM

I've used it and thought I did get slightly more MPG, my car seems to like Esso super as well. :)

greatgonzo 16 February 2009 09:54 PM

Personally I think its all in your head :freak3: super unleaded is super unleaded. Cant tell the difference between any of the top suppliers:wonder:

that's why I only ever use V Power:lol1: :lol1:

v8voodoo 16 February 2009 10:49 PM

Mine have always run fine on Sainsburys super. When I last had my car up to Barretts Motorsport in Canterbury (sadly now gone) for a service and they checked all was well, they queried the fuel I was using as the car was showing something on the unit that said the car liked it. May have been full advance and full throttle opening was permitted by the ECU?

Dspeed 17 February 2009 01:00 AM

Down in the sw.
V power is far superior to all.
BP ultimate is ****e, seems to give normal cars good mpg but ron wise it sucks.
Esso super when they did it was good.
Sainsburys is a funny one, it can be very good but apparently there tanks and delivery tankers are no good and sometimes that effects the fuel.

GC8 17 February 2009 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by adehook (Post 8511160)

It is and the last time I saw a delivery; the trailer was in Sainsbury livery and the tractor was white with a BP namestyle on the door.

Wether BP97 is suitable for you depends on the car. JDMs will struggle with BP Ultimate but be happy with Shell or Greenergy, whereas a UK STI PPP will be quite happy with standard BP produced 97RON.

Simon

ALZWRXSTI 17 February 2009 10:32 AM

Put either Tesco or V power in mine depends which is closer when I need to fill up

rezaP1 17 February 2009 03:45 PM

I've read that some respected subaru mappers only recommend V-Power and Tesco99. I heard that alot of supermarkets and petrol suppliers source their "super" unleadeds from the same containers at refineries, and the driver requests the relevant additive for the ron value depending on which petrol station he's delivering to. But Shell V-power is stored completely seperate and is only supplied to Shell stations.
Since it was a bit of a hot topic at the time over on p1woc, i thought id email shell and see what they say ... this was the reply i got

"Reza,

You are correct that V-power is supplied separtely to other super
unleaded fuels, and does not come from a batch to which an additive
package is added. The V-power package and formulation is unique to
Shell.

In terms of RON, V-power is guranteed RON of 99, and based on typical
production is 99.2

Best Regards,
Rob."

I've only ever used V-power myself and very occasionally tesco99, most of the guys on p1woc use only these two aswell.

ginger321 17 February 2009 04:19 PM

I got my classic mapped on Bp ulitmate with a set up including 440s and a vf34 with full supporting mods and only managed 289bhp. Other cars seem to go over 300bhp with similar mods.
Think if I fill up on opitimax I'll get any improvements without a remap?
Do any tuners recommend BP ultimate or is optimax/ tesco stuff the best

rezaP1 17 February 2009 07:30 PM

Im no guru on all this ginger but i've not read anyone in particular recommend or overly rate BP ultimate as far as tuners go ... the RON rating if nothing else is not great.

but ... that being said heres some interesting reading that was posted up on p1woc
Thorney Motorsport October 2008 Fuel Test Report
&
RE: Tescos 99 wins fuel shootout

ginger321 17 February 2009 07:55 PM

cheers reza it seems I need another mapping session and either V power or tesco 99 in the tank:brickwall