ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Cable Modem & Router help please (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/74631-cable-modem-and-router-help-please.html)

Figment 23 February 2002 02:20 PM

Trying to install a router between cable modem and PC, to allow more than one PC to share the connection.

I can get PCs to talk to the hub/router.
I can get the cable modem to synchronize to the internet when connected to the router and when connected directly to the PC
The activity lights on the router act as I would expect.

I have tried the obvious cycling power on c/m and router and rebooting PC, all to no avail

I cannot get the PC to talk to the net via the router (it works fine directly thru the c/m, hence how I can post this plea for help.

Can anyone help me on this. If it makes any difference, its a Netgear RP114 hub/router, Motorola Surfboard SB3100 c/m and NTLWorld broadband.

dsmith 23 February 2002 02:40 PM

Haventy used cable or the netgear but have heard lots of people say the cable-modems hold the MAC address of the first device connected and will only let that talk to the internet (i.e. the PC). Have you tried powering off the C/M for a short time (say 10 mins) and then reconnecting with the router ?

Deano

Figment 23 February 2002 02:52 PM

Deano, you're a flipping star mate :)

The router has an option to 'spoof' the MAC address of the first-connected device. Enable this, and manually enter the DNS addresses, then bingo.

Thanks for such a speedy response - most appreciated.

michael_clarkson 24 February 2002 06:06 PM

You can also connect to the Motorola cable modem directly using th e URL below:

http://192.168.100.1/

You can restart the modem gracefully from there.

I have a Netgear RT314 and Motorola Surfboard modem and Linksys WAP11 (802.11b AP) on NTL, I have several hosts connected ranging from PC's (win32 & Linux) to Mac's and Sun workstations if you need any other help, drop me a line.

Michael

BuRR 24 February 2002 06:23 PM

The MAC address of your network card in your PC is probably registered at your ISP, so the ISP won't "listen" to your router.....

With my router, a Netgear RT314, I have made it spoof the ISP into thinking that its my PC connected to the CM, ie) the router pretends it has the same MAC address as my PC.

My email is steve@hirsty.co.uk, and I'm on the Blueyonder network. Any problems, give me a mail, and I'll send you my config screenshots, so hopefully you'll be able to get up and running using them?

damn..... just read the above replies d'oh! Worth a go though eh?

[Edited by BuRR - 2/24/2002 6:24:25 PM]

Avi 24 February 2002 06:29 PM

Can anyone suggest a supplier for a router/4 port hub, probably something like the netgear. What sort of cash am i looking at for one of these?

At the mo' I have one pc on all the time, and it's a bit noisy in the living room .

Andy

carl 25 February 2002 09:53 AM

There's a linksys one you can get for 70 quid. They used to have them at www.buy.com but I understand John Lewis are pulling the plug on that site.

father_jack 25 February 2002 10:38 AM

I was gonna buy a router for sharing, but just bunged in 2 network cards into the one connected to the internet.
A handy use for those left-over NIC's you may have liberated from somewhere possibly :D

carl 25 February 2002 10:48 AM

Yes, but that means you have to leave the PC which is acting as a gateway on all the time, which (depending on your domestic arrangements ;) ) could be inconvenient.

Avi 25 February 2002 09:44 PM

father_jack

I have four network cards in my main PC sharing to My PC upstairs and my brother's PC's, but it's in the living room and the fans are pretty loud, plus it would make the old man moan less if it wasn't on all day.. and I'd feel more secure behind a hardware router.

Andy

IanW 26 February 2002 02:43 AM

The router Fig has sells for about £80 ish from all the major suppliers. I think Fig got his from Insight?

I'm seriously tempted br the Netgear MR314 which is there wireless all in one job, whcih is about £150 ish

father_jack 26 February 2002 10:29 AM

Fair enough Avi - I only need 2 PC's for Darby n Joan type surfing with the missus. Tartan rugs over knees - single slipper etc. :D

Wireless cable router mmmm....... surfing in the bath etc..