ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   WRX misfire (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/745289-wrx-misfire.html)

cooperbe 10 February 2009 05:59 PM

WRX misfire

Hello
Im Ben and im new to this site so i have no idea what im doing really. Basically i have a question regarding my 1995 wrx import tommy kaira edition.
If i floor the car my turbo guage goes into the red and the engine misfires which feels like you have hit the limiter. If you slowly progress the throttle then it drives fine. There are no warning lights on and no garage i have asked knows what to do with it. I have a hunch it is something to do with the turbo actuator as if it is letting by too much air but im not really sure. Any imput on this problem would be extremely appreciated
Thanks in advance
Ben
P.S my email is coopdetroop@hotmail.com

99greenwagon 10 February 2009 06:17 PM

sounds alot like its overboosting!

kingofturds 10 February 2009 06:25 PM

Last time I had the same problem, it was the coil packs:) no fault codes either.

scoobian 10 February 2009 06:27 PM

are there numbers on the gauge?
what is the peak it whos when you get the problem

mit 10 February 2009 06:29 PM

Welcome!
Sounds like overboost causing fuel cut, as said above. Try turning the boost down on the apexi boost controller.

Mit

Adam Jackson 10 February 2009 06:29 PM

Acctuator, boost leak, Coilpacks there's a number of things it could be. As scoobian has asked, What boost is it hitting on the gauge?

Glowplug 10 February 2009 06:37 PM

Hi Ben and welcome.

As 99greenwagon says, it sounds like overboost (spiking) and because of that the ECU is cutting the fuel to save your engine going pop;) hence you feel like your hitting the limiter. I dont know much about the Apexi boost controller but can you not try turning the boost down a tad and see if it cures the problem:idea: Hth.

99greenwagon 10 February 2009 06:40 PM

:lol1: :rolleyes:

cooperbe 25 February 2009 05:39 PM

wrx misfire

On the boost guage the red line is at 0.9kg/cm2 and it bounces past that a little when the engine cuts the power off so I am prety sure it is overboosting like most of you say. I am now starting to think that it isn't a boost controller at all because on it, it says air flow convertor and whether you turn it up or down it does nothing whatsoever.
Please help, this is driving me mental
Regards
Ben

cooperbe 25 February 2009 05:44 PM

wrx misfire

Sorry about the delay, been on holiday. Thanks alot for your input
There is definately no leaks as i have changed the up pipe which was leaking but this has not cured it. As said before it goes to 0.9kg/cm2 on the boost guage when the problem arises.
Ben

RedScoob 25 February 2009 06:01 PM

I don't think that's fuel cut at that boost level (around 0.9bar), but it depends how far over that line it's going (could you estimate?). It's most probably the coilpacks as previously suggested.

This may be a red herring, but bear with me.... Until recently my MY95 WRX was hitting what appeared to be fuel cut in 2nd and third gears at high boost (1.1 bar with an ESL chip). I replaced the alternator last week, to solve a voltage issue that I was having and now the car doesn't appear to hit fuel cut any more..... Now.. The weather has been milder (so boost has decreased a smidgen), but I have a thoery.... If the voltage to the ECU wasn't sufficient or fluctuating with the old alternator, it's possible that sensor readings etc. were not being read correctly, so it "thought" it was overboosting. By replacing the alternator the voltage is now correct, so all the readings are correct, so no fuel cut. This hypothesis may be complete donkey's gonads, but who knows, it's another possible solution...?

cooperbe 25 February 2009 08:26 PM

Hi Mate
I understand what you're saying but mine does it in every gear and it only does it when you put your foot down hard on the throttle. If you progresivly build up the revs then it will go flat out with no probs.
Only problem is that if im coming out of a corner and want to quickly put the power on it just massivly jumps as if im hitting the rev limiter. Surely if it was the coil packs it would do it all the time regardless of rpm or throttle input.
HELP!

290 AND READY 25 February 2009 08:31 PM

I had the same problem,most scooby owners do.
Doesit do this with less than half a tank of fuel or with a full tank?

cooperbe 25 February 2009 08:34 PM

It does it no matter how much fuel is in. Any ideas

cooperbe 25 February 2009 08:39 PM

Surely its gotta be the actuator. No?.
It jumps to about 1.1 bar and i should be running 0.9 on a jap import

Glowplug 25 February 2009 08:41 PM

You dont say how long you've had the car mate?
Has it always done it??
Is that a full decat on the exhaust???
Have you checked all the pipe work associated with the BCS, and cleaned the BCS with brake cleaner???? :D

No not actuator, that would cause underboost!

cooperbe 25 February 2009 08:44 PM

Had the car about 2 years. Its basically done it since i had a new turbo fitted. Its got a cat. BCS? What?

scoobaru mad 25 February 2009 08:48 PM

i had this on my 95 wrx..

i changed and cleaned the standard boost solonoid, put 2 bleed valves on, changed 3 actuators, replaced ALL the boosting pipes with expensive samco 8mm boost pipe, changed the ECU twice, bought an apexi AVC-R. i even disconnected the acutator, and jammed the waste gate wide open!! an it STILL overboosted. NONE of the above worked. i ended up buying a new turbo, an front mount. an when fitting them, we inspected the turbo. it was perfectly fine, impellor was spinning ok, no play in the shaft, no oil leaks, im a member of LADSoc. i put a post up on there, an it had over 80 hits with ideas. since changing the turbo an fitting the front mount its been fine up to now? but its still a mystery to me.

if yo find out what it is, please let me know, cos when ever an impreza mysteriously overboosts, people have ideas, an theorys, but its never usually the case?

no disrespect to the gurus of this site, but the thawt of it still overboosting grates me. it was SOOOOO annoying:mad: :mad: :mad:

Glowplug 25 February 2009 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by cooperbe (Post 8538383)
Had the car about 2 years. Its basically done it since i had a new turbo fitted. Its got a cat. BCS? What?

Boost Control Solenoid, and and all the attached pipework from turbo nipple to bcs and bcs to wastegate actuator and 3rd bottom pipe to airbox with restrictor in, give it all a good blast thru with brake cleaner, pay special attention to the brass restrictor pill in the bottom pipe :thumb:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...ostControl.jpg

cooperbe 25 February 2009 09:02 PM

To Scoobaru mad - it is extremely annoying and i really really hope you are wrong cos i dont wanna do all that
To B13bat - Thanks mate, i will try all that and hope to god it works.

Any other ideas would be very welcome

scoobaru mad 25 February 2009 09:12 PM

i really do hope you sort it mate! theres nothing worse than your pride an joy not working! if i find anything relevent that can be of use, i'll post it up for you mate! :thumb:

cooperbe 25 February 2009 09:13 PM

much appreciated. It is a beast and needs to come back to life.
Love this site

ginge2719 25 February 2009 10:12 PM

i had exactley the same problem this weekend after re fitting my engine.... a mate swapped my boost soleniod and map sensor and it was fine after that untill it blew a pipe off....refitted the pipes securley and its now running mint and holding bang on 1 bar .

brettbman 25 March 2010 05:36 PM

hi there im a newbie here so i just brought my first scooby and mine has developed the same thing it was running and spiking at 1.1 bar then dropping down to 0.9 but now theres no spike it boosts to 1.2 stays there then i get the big joult as you say like hitting the limiter ???? is this problem gonna be the same cheers

gsd 05 June 2011 08:54 PM

hi did u ever fix this? my 2003 wrx is driving me mad- wont boost very uneconomical missfire cylinder 2&4- lound sucking when i put my foot down- goes fine upto 3500rpm then misfires!

ukpaisley 05 June 2011 09:13 PM

I would do a direct pipe from inlet manifold to turbo actuator, this if I am correct limit boost to 0.7 or 0.8 Bar.

Mr moff 06 June 2011 01:20 AM

Just a thought but are you using a lower octane fuel?
Sounds similar to detonation if it hasn't been mapped.

Regards.

Danny.

gsd 06 June 2011 11:32 AM

its always on super unleaded- im not sure if its remapped is there anyway of knowing? it has been decatted with a hks cone filter, diagnostic says misfires on cylinders 2&4

TH3_5T1G 06 June 2011 12:39 PM

Did you decat and fit a cone filter without remkapping or did it already have them on it beforehand?

gsd 06 June 2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by TH3_5T1G (Post 10076864)
Did you decat and fit a cone filter without remkapping or did it already have them on it beforehand?

it was all done before i got it- its never ran properly since i got it as i got it cheap being told it needed a lambda...... and guess what it wasn't the problem lol.
where is the ecu? and can you tell if its been messed with?