ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PS2 having a wobbly! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/745039-ps2-having-a-wobbly.html)

SunnySideUp 09 February 2009 06:51 PM

PS2 having a wobbly!

Yes, I know I should have moved on from a PS2 ;)

But - not used it in a few years, it's a sliver slimline version and I even bought an LCD Screen which is attached to it making it pretty portable.

Anyway, was in Game and saw they were doing 3 PS2 Games for £10 ... excellent I thought, it will revive my interest in it :D

Well, been working my way through HalfLife and putting the eebie-jeebies up me :lol1: Getting quite 'into' it again :thumb:

This evening, load it up and as I am playing the disc is making some very funny noises ... then the screen freezes and the disc stops. Fine I thought - some dirt ... cleaned the disc and started again, after a few minutes it froze again (disc stops spinning) :( :cry:

Is it finished? Do I need to go get a PS3? OR can I fix it? :D

Anyone any ideas where I should look before I open it up and do some DIY? It could be a common fault with a common easy fix?

ScoobyDoo555 09 February 2009 07:11 PM

You MUST get a PS3 NOW!!!! :eek:
The drive not working is a sign of imminent failure.

Now, you can mod the machine to incorporate a device that will tell you the various levels of failure. Uses leds. Looks like a Christmas tree.
It's a Sony WokLink.

Failing that strip the machine and give the drive a clean/replace the drive ;) :thumb:

Dan

SunnySideUp 09 February 2009 07:55 PM

Wouldn't you just love it ........ the Dishwasher has now burst a leak and the kitchen is flooded!! :(

So, PS2 stripped down tomorrow night AND the Dishwasher turned upside down!

They come in 3's what's the third.

mart360 09 February 2009 08:30 PM

Your laser is fubarred, :D

you can do a quick online fix, (googles your friend)

but it may not last, the other way round the prob is to use the unit vertically, that way

the laser isnt dropping away due to gravity.

if you use it in the vert position, then a sh one from game is around £40 (guaranteed as well)

Mart :D

Gear Head 09 February 2009 09:34 PM

The same happened with mine. I thought it was fecked, so there was no harm in having a 'tinker'. I just sprayed the sprindle with wd40, left it for a good few days, cleaned the lense and hey presto, it worked! :thumb:

Worth a try for the sake of £50.

dave247 10 February 2009 02:57 AM

I've got a good few PS2 games still lying around inc. Colin McRae 04 and 05 if your interested? Real rally games haha

Could do you 3 for £10 posted

StickyMicky 10 February 2009 08:49 AM

somebody threw a ps2 into the bin at work while hoovering a car :cuckoo:

had a look at it and it looked ok but would not load games or cd`s

quick search online for the instructions to adjust the laser, and i had it up and running again no problems at all :D

flogged it for around 46quid on ebay :D

SunnySideUp 10 February 2009 09:06 AM

Cheers all .... I googled and found instructions for adjusting the laser on an early 'fat' version ... but not on a slim version (which I have).

Cleaned the lens gently last night, and tried with it sitting on end ..... it worked for about 5 minutes then the picture froze and the disc stopped spinning! :(

I'll take it apart tonight if I get chance ... I need to fix the dishwasher AND go to the theatre! :rolleyes: :lol1:

Anyone know how to adjust the laser height on a slimline version?

SunnySideUp 11 February 2009 10:35 PM

If I can't get this working - will PS2 games play well on a PS3? And how about PS1 games?

mart360 12 February 2009 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8503191)
If I can't get this working - will PS2 games play well on a PS3? And how about PS1 games?

IF its a eu spec machine, then possibly, some Ps2 games may work, but only by emulation.

If its one of the newer ones , then no, nothing old, 1-2 will work.

the best compatibility is from the Japanese units, they had the emotion chip fitted as standard

Mart

SunnySideUp 15 February 2009 10:07 PM

Thanks ... anyone a link to how to adjust the slimline PS2 laser?