ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Connecting an X-Box to hotel Wi-Fi? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/744776-connecting-an-x-box-to-hotel-wi-fi.html)

tanyatriangles 08 February 2009 07:36 PM

Connecting an X-Box to hotel Wi-Fi?

My lad is working in Holland, where his company are putting up their workers in an hotel.
He has wi-fi in his room. He says that on connecting a COMPUTER to the system, it opens a webpage which asks for a username and password, which the hotel have given him, but his X-Box can't/doesn't open the page so he can't connect.

Is he doing something wrong, if so, what, please?
If not, is there a way around this problem?

TIA.

GC8 08 February 2009 08:13 PM

Can he share his connection though the PC (called 'internet connection sharing' in XP)? Surely thatll be easiest. It will be exactly the same as a network which connects through a gateway machine (perhaps with a USB DSL modem), as opposed to the more common DSL modem/router.

GC8 08 February 2009 08:15 PM

Further to that he will need a 'crossover' network cable if he connects the XBox to the PC's network adapter, which is the same as an XBox 'system link' cable, but only costs about £1. This differs from a conventional patch cable used to connect PCs to a network hub.

boxst 09 February 2009 12:29 AM

Yes, as above. You need to set up ICS on the computer (http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/index.asp), buy a cross-over ethernet cable (or hack it yourself: Silent Way's Tips: RJ-45 ethernet cable wiring diagram ) and then you are away.

If you are going to make the cable yourself, it is much easier to cut the outer plastic in the middle of the cable, pull out the relevant two wires cut and reconnect.

(When I was young, I used to travel around hotels with crocodile clips, telephone convertors and a bunch of other things to ensure I could hack their telephone system to be able to dial an internet connection :) )

Steve

tanyatriangles 09 February 2009 10:14 AM

He doesn't have a laptop with him, the bit about connecting a laptop he got from one of the lads who HAS one there.

Is there owt he can do without a laptop?

Or can he borrow a laptop, set up, then disconnect the laptop?

Thanks for replies so far btw.

tanyatriangles 09 February 2009 03:07 PM

bump for the afternnon crowd

Iain Young 09 February 2009 03:36 PM

Nope. The only way you can do it is to have the laptop manage the connection, (i.e. the laptop connects to the hotel wifi, and routes the connection to the xbox via a cable). You won't be able to do it with an xbox by itself.

tanyatriangles 09 February 2009 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young (Post 8495859)
Nope. The only way you can do it is to have the laptop manage the connection, (i.e. the laptop connects to the hotel wifi, and routes the connection to the xbox via a cable). You won't be able to do it with an xbox by itself.

OK, thanks, I suppose he can get one of his mates to loan a laptop so they can play, and buy a cheap laptop when he gets chance.

Anyone know if a laptop bought in Holland would have a QWERTY or an AZERTY keyboard?

StickyMicky 09 February 2009 06:34 PM

AZERTY keyboard ?

what is this witchcraft you speak of?

StickyMicky 09 February 2009 06:36 PM

just googled it, damm, that some confusing stuff :D

tanyatriangles 09 February 2009 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 8496441)
just googled it, damm, that some confusing stuff :D

LOL, you think it's confusing to LOOK at? Try USING one, even for non-typists, it's excrutiating.

GC8 10 February 2009 08:40 PM

QWERTY for the Dutch: AZERTY for the French & Belgians.

phil_wrx 10 February 2009 11:39 PM

those damn french

GC8 11 February 2009 05:09 AM

Those damned Flemish, if were being pedantically xenophobic! :) 'French' was a minority language until into the nineteenth centurt!