ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Bugs / Feature Requests Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/bugs-feature-requests-archive-429/)
-   -   PLEASE CAN WE HAVE THE PROPER SEARCH BACK? (https://www.scoobynet.com/bugs-feature-requests-archive-429/744458-please-can-we-have-the-proper-search-back.html)

dj219957 07 February 2009 06:02 PM

PLEASE CAN WE HAVE THE PROPER SEARCH BACK?

.....pretty please.

and the ability to serach peoples posts/topics.

everyone please bump/reply to this thread so mods/site owner takes note

G00ner 07 February 2009 06:57 PM

Pay for it?

gallois 07 February 2009 07:19 PM

is it normal practice for forums to charge for a proper search system? this one is the only one i have come across that does this. are there others that do this? this was a very very good forum when it had a decent search, it seems that the old 'owners' made a cynical attempt to take the search away to encourage more paying members. i understand that the new owners are bringing back a proper search, but have not indicated when exactly.

WRX_SWRT 07 February 2009 07:31 PM

nope but stu did say that was a change that would be made so search was same for all

dj219957 07 February 2009 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by G00ner (Post 8490565)
Pay for it?

why? it never used to be charged for. another bad/naff idea by the previous owner.

i know of no other scooby site where you have to pay for the search feature.

RA Dunk 07 February 2009 08:05 PM

its not even working for members either, just tried to search somebodys posts and came up with zip! :rolleyes:

G00ner 08 February 2009 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 8490765)
its not even working for members either, just tried to search somebodys posts and came up with zip! :rolleyes:

If that's true then fair enough, not tried it myself recently.

But I had to pay to use the search before, and in my opinion if you wanted to use the search function that much, then pay your fiver.

Boro 08 February 2009 01:04 AM

Search is working as normal for me. Stu has already said it will become a free feature.

ALi-B 08 February 2009 01:06 AM

Search is intermittently broken, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. See bugs and features.

The scheduled downtime (as mentioned in news and announcements) will, fingers crossed help with getting some more bugs ironed out (or introduce some more...time will tell). ;)

Originally Posted by gallois (Post 8490618)
is it normal practice for forums to charge for a proper search system?

The reason was the servers couldn't handle it. Too many people searching ground the whole forum to a painstaking halt (thats when search was working and open to all). Economically it was killing Scoobynet - better servers and more bandwidth cost money. Without ploughing more money into the forums, it had to be disabled for non-paying users.

Ask anyone who was on here when search was free (and working), they will tell you how slow and unstable the site could be at peak hours. Hanging, slow response, time outs, database errors.

That era is almost over with now. IB have nice resources, lots of server power, bandwidth and big pockets.

If anyone has paid attention to Stu's big to-do list, they will note that there is alot of problems with this site. With even more things to do step by step, whilst keeping the site on-line as much as possible.

i understand that the new owners are bringing back a proper search, but have not indicated when exactly.
We have only been on new servers for barely a few days. So its only as of this week that its actually possible have the processing power. Next big step (after ironing any bugs caused by the move) is software upgrades. Things need to be tested, and bugs need to be rectified before being implemented live, as the last thing we want is the damn site to crash straight after it being upgraded and opening the flood gates. How long that takes depends on what problems arise.

To sum up: Be patient! Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

GC8 08 February 2009 06:22 AM

Even working it is rubbish. Search as it was before, not 'search by Internet Brands', just normal search that returns the results in date order without stupid, useless f*cking percentages, was MASSIVELY superior.

ALi-B 08 February 2009 11:16 AM

Strange, when it is working it is giving me results by date.

It was orginally defulated to relevance, which was annoying as I had to change the setting in the drop down box (or use advance search, which tbh I use most anyway to remove the "noise" from general and NSR ;) ). But I don't need to do it now, so I was under the impression the default setting had been changed. :confused:

:wonder:

GC8 08 February 2009 03:53 PM

Ive changed it to 'date' and its still terrible for me.