ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Sorry for the downtime. Welcome To America. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/743774-sorry-for-the-downtime-welcome-to-america.html)

Evolution Stu 05 February 2009 01:40 AM

Sorry for the downtime. Welcome To America.

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the spurious service the last 24hrs, and the downtime this evening since 4:30pm but I am pleased to announce that we are now in America. :king:

It will be normal to experience a slightly slower "Response time" from clicking the mouse as your request is now traveling a lot further than it did, but the info is going to come back a whole lot faster than it did before and hopefully we will be more efficient with improved uptime and no discernible effect when we are busy and under great load. On the whole im sure it will be a good move and we should enjoy improvements once the server cache has built up over the next 24hrs.

The next day or so will be a test period with us tweaking one thing or another, but all in all an excellent pain free migration was performed by Adrian and his web team. Great work as always guys, thank you. :notworthy

As many of you will know, we have a major software upgrade or lots of bug fixes planned too, and those will be undertaken once we are sure that SN is stable in its new home, so watch this space.

Steve001 05 February 2009 01:47 AM

yeh yeh, very nice :D

but can we have the 'good ol' search back ;)

ag1266 05 February 2009 02:26 AM

UK-based website now hosted in the US of A? Expect a major backlash with response times and all the other hassles associated with transatlantic links. How can the submission be slower, but the response be quicker if they're both travelling the same transatlantic links?

Been there, tried that and moved my sites straight back to the UK. Might be good for IB, but not good for your members. It's nonsensical to move a 99% UK-based readership to servers in the US.

Good luck - I think you'll need it!

Rorschach 05 February 2009 02:41 AM

USA rules good move.

phil_wrx 05 February 2009 03:15 AM

They dont at football or anything no created by americans ....although they do well at torturing "prisoners of war" :D

blkgm8 05 February 2009 07:16 AM

Ouch.... dont bash me mate...

Most of us over here across the pond are very good people..... and do as you LOVE fast cars.:thumb:

gpssti4 05 February 2009 07:29 AM

So do we now have to use the terms 'hood', 'trunk' etc? :rolleyes:

Sonic' 05 February 2009 07:41 AM

Ive noticed that since the move SN is slower to respond and slower to load the pages, including a number of timeouts

adrianp 05 February 2009 07:45 AM

I think saying it's running a bit slow is an understatement...

hopefully it will get up to speed but, how it is at the moment, to be honest I'm glad I'm not a paying member yet.

Ady

DJ Dunk 05 February 2009 08:41 AM

Well I'll show some gratitute even if nobody else will :D

Big thanks due to Stu and IB. Looking forward to the increased speed and reliability on the new server, but especially the new software.

GazTheHat 05 February 2009 08:46 AM

Since the move it's not blocked by websense at work. Big :thumb: from me.

mrtheedge2u2 05 February 2009 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 8482527)
Well I'll show some gratitute even if nobody else will :D

Big thanks due to Stu and IB. Looking forward to the increased speed and reliability on the new server, but especially the new software.

Take your tongue out of his arse......

Increased speed? I have yet to see that

DJ_Jon 05 February 2009 08:57 AM

I suspect the move to the US was purely based on a monetary saving. If it keeps the site up and running then its a good move. I haven't noticed any slow-down so far & hopefully the software upgrades will sort a few annoying bugs out.

good work!

DJ Dunk 05 February 2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 8482534)
Take your tongue out of his arse......

Increased speed? I have yet to see that

Jealous? :p

Patience, the speed will come.

f1_fan 05 February 2009 10:00 AM

Faster to load pages for me and I am in Lancashire.

Please bear in mind that a server move like this also requires tuning on the new servers, routers etc. When you experience slowness it may be down to tuning isuses which will graduallyimprove as the techs monitor and change things.

Weasel 555 05 February 2009 10:55 AM

in jest,
now we can hang out with nasioc,rs25.com,clubwrx.net,wrxfanatics,i-club,iwsti,forester.org,sqc-ny,3gwrx etc etc all in sunny USA !

oh but we already do that ! :p

ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums - View Single Post - UK and Ex-Pats chat forum

escott 05 February 2009 11:13 AM

Exactly as described - first click seems to take a tad longer, but then the page load is much faster.

Happy so far!

chrisdicko 05 February 2009 11:18 AM

Seems the speeds are the same for me :)

Except search isnt working.....I need search!!! lol

Pete 05 February 2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 8482411)
Ive noticed that since the move SN is slower to respond and slower to load the pages, including a number of timeouts

Me too, was thinking that just this min.....:confused:

Jamo 05 February 2009 12:06 PM

I have never known it to be this slow before? its like having a dial up connection all over again :lol1:

it must be all the yanks jumping on here now :D

SwissTony 05 February 2009 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973 (Post 8483078)
I have never known it to be this slow before? its like having a dial up connection all over again :lol1:

east coast does not wake up until around 1.30-2p.m so not them

No speed issues for me, though as a paying member we get the full unthrottled thoughput :smug:

(sorry, did you lot not know that :Suspiciou :D )

Weasel 555 05 February 2009 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973 (Post 8483078)

:lol1:

and the rest: http://www.internetbrands.com/ib

:D

RA Dunk 05 February 2009 12:13 PM

cant say i notice any difference........................................ ............yet!

bonzee 05 February 2009 12:16 PM

Seems the same and when loading threads with pics it times out now and again:(

Markus 05 February 2009 01:08 PM

It does seem somewhat quicker to access for me, but then I am on the same continent as the servers :D

Chris.B 05 February 2009 01:19 PM

I hate America.

UK all the way :p

andys 05 February 2009 01:25 PM

Any implications around the European data directive and personal data now been held outside of the EU?

Transfer of personal data to third countries
Third countries is the term used in EU legislation to designate countries outside the European Union. Personal data may only be transferred to third countries if that country provides an adequate level of protection. Some exceptions to this rule are provided, for instance when the controller himself can guarantee that the recipient will comply with the data protection rules.

Don't recall any guarantee being offered?

JonMc 05 February 2009 05:55 PM

What no searc engine - again

Can you please fix the search:brickwall

I seems to time out a lot more. Surely it would have made sense to keep the servers in the same continent as the user base to minimise the banwidth and latency issues.

DCI Gene Hunt 05 February 2009 06:57 PM

I feckin had septics and all things American, this forum is now hosted in a land where you can legally feck and marry a horse, prisoners get tortured by the CIA and 8 out of 10 of its residents think Tony Blair is our president....

So a BIG whoop-de-do on the move stateside :mad:

DCI Gene Hunt 05 February 2009 06:58 PM

PS - It's even slower than normal.... yeehaww!