ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Convert .AVI files? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/743550-convert-avi-files.html)

stiscooby 03 February 2009 06:32 PM

Convert .AVI files?

Anyone got any recommendations of software to use for converting AVI files to another file format so I can then burn them onto a DVD (my DVD player will not play AVI files).

I have tried using Nero, as this "should" do it, but it seemed to have a problem in that when watching it back the sound was a few seconds ahead of what you was actually watching!?!?!? Seemed to be something to do with the way Nero was processing the file as exporting it to a mpg file had the same problem.

So looking for something else to do the job?

Ant 03 February 2009 06:40 PM

AVI to DVD Video Converter Software VSO ConvertXtoDVD Download now

brilliant bit of software and quick, if you try some looking you could find a free one off the to33ent sites

HankScorpio 03 February 2009 07:36 PM

Get yourself a DVD player that plays avis, save yourself a lot of time/hassle. They can be had for less than 30 quid these days.

Or somehting like this
Western Digital TV HD 1080P Media Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
or a popcorn.

Life's too short for cConverting and burning

paulg1979 03 February 2009 09:43 PM

I use visualhub to convert avi to dvd. Top program and can convert to lots of formats.

stiscooby 03 February 2009 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 8480010)
Get yourself a DVD player that plays avis, save yourself a lot of time/hassle. They can be had for less than 30 quid these days.

Or somehting like this
Western Digital TV HD 1080P Media Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
or a popcorn.

Life's too short for cConverting and burning

To be honest I haven't got that much stuff in .avi format just a few things I was going to stick on DVD. Don't really want to go getting another DVD player as my currently one is also a recorder and is a half decent one so wouldn't want to get rid of it and got enough devices under the TV as it is :D

That Western Digital device looks quite handy, only drawback is you need another USB drive to plug into it, again yet another device under/around the TV. Mind you guess thats not such a bad thing as you wouldn’t be limited in the future for HDD space.

Never heard of a Popcorn either but upon doing a quick search they seem to be a good box of tricks?

HankScorpio 04 February 2009 09:38 AM

Popcorn is pretty much king of hd playback at the mo.
For you're situation, you could use a diskless popcorn or WD player like above and just stick occasional things on usb stick.
Popcorn also networks so added bonus there.

Few other options on here:
KJ Global Ltd. Multi-Media Players

jaytc2003 04 February 2009 10:41 AM

with nero make sure that the encoding option isnt set to ntsc. that has a habit of making the audio out of sync with the visual

scoobymad555 06 February 2009 02:37 PM

ffmpeg on linux ftw :D :lol1:

stiscooby 06 February 2009 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003 (Post 8481242)
with nero make sure that the encoding option isnt set to ntsc. that has a habit of making the audio out of sync with the visual

Thanks for the tip, was already set to PAL.