ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Its snowing & the Tube service has stopped??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/743165-its-snowing-and-the-tube-service-has-stopped.html)

scoobz72 02 February 2009 09:14 AM

Its snowing & the Tube service has stopped???

Excuse my ignorance but isnt the tube service underground?:confused:

Each year, we as a nation go into a frenzy whenever a few flakes fall.:luxhello:

Scoobychick 02 February 2009 09:16 AM

A lot of the tube is overground.

HTH :thumb:

scoobz72 02 February 2009 09:19 AM

Ah an overground underground? lol

T4molie 02 February 2009 09:20 AM

The slightest hint of bad weather and the entire London Transport goes into meltdown :)

Twas a fun journey for me to Piccadilly Circus this am :D

scoobz72 02 February 2009 09:23 AM

Mind you the roads into Central London looked clear :-)

T4molie 02 February 2009 09:24 AM

That's cos everybody who drives in did the sensible thing and stayed at home :D

scoobz72 02 February 2009 09:27 AM

Very wise. lol

Right, am off to look up some perennial phrases such as: It will get worse before it gets better & More snow on the way etc lol :-)

f1_fan 02 February 2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by scoobz72 (Post 8474983)
Ah an overground underground? lol

Wombling free? :)

scoobz72 02 February 2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 8475029)
Wombling free? :)

Lol I asked for that reply, Thanks :-):luxhello:

T4molie 02 February 2009 09:40 AM

:lol: Could've done with that tune on the Piccadilly line this am :D

GC8 02 February 2009 09:51 AM

Im sure that the media make it worse: by hyping up even the mildest sprinkling of snow, into a 'severe weather warning' frenzy. Its snow, as long as its not so deep that your car grounds then, be prepared and dont drive like a cock and you will be perfectly alright.

ChefDude 02 February 2009 10:18 AM

thankfully i overslept, but my 3 stop journey to Bank at 9am was troublesome enough :rolleyes:

DCI Gene Hunt 02 February 2009 10:23 AM

I appreciate those that slow down to 20mph on seeing a flake of snow, God bless them :thumb:

Nat 02 February 2009 10:29 AM

I walked to work today, i am a HERO of the highest order ;)

scoobz72 02 February 2009 11:43 AM

lol some great replies guys, i am glad i aint the only synic here :-)

Markus 02 February 2009 12:00 PM

If the underground is out of action, I'm going to guess that most of the SE rail network is going to experience a lot of cancellations or delays then as I have this feeling quite a bit of that network is out in the open :D

Freak 02 February 2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8475068)
Im sure that the media make it worse: by hyping up even the mildest sprinkling of snow, into a 'severe weather warning' frenzy. Its snow, as long as its not so deep that your car grounds then, be prepared and dont drive like a cock and you will be perfectly alright.

er... I had 9inches of snow (not exagerating either) on and around the car in clapham at 4:30am today.
All the way to the m4 i couldnt go over 10mph- less in places- and it was VERY nasty, even with bugger all cars about.
NO gritters, no ploughs.
Dont know about later, but when i left it was atrocious.

cossie-nutter 02 February 2009 12:28 PM

That's because the train driver is snowed in and can't get to work lol :lol1:

I live 1500 yards from my work so no getting out of it for me. BUT the only good thing is I start at 4pm today and will be home by 6.30pm and still get paid to 00.30 :D Monday is my early days :thumb:

Oh and we have only had 5 fooking mill of snow! I want it to snow proper hard and thick then i wont have to send any fleet cars out so less to do! :D

Leslie 02 February 2009 01:28 PM

Why did they stop all the buses in Londen? When we used to get weather like this as a matter of course in earlier winters, London Transport buses never used to stop. In fact they helped by compressing the snow and making it easier to drive a car.

What a bunch of fairies!

Les

Scoobychick 02 February 2009 01:30 PM

I've just seen on the London news that a London park has been shut because of health and safety :cuckoo:

bugeyeandy 02 February 2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8475657)
Why did they stop all the buses in Londen? When we used to get weather like this as a matter of course in earlier winters, London Transport buses never used to stop. In fact they helped by compressing the snow and making it easier to drive a car.

What a bunch of fairies!

Les

To be fair, i've lived in and around London for 20 years now and I haven't seen this amount of snow since I first moved here. It's simply not practical to have snow ploughs etc at the ready for something that happens once every 20 years.
I lived in Germany as a kid and as they had vast amounts of snow every winter without fail they were well prepared. Snow ploughs, public transport always has snow tyres or chains. Every houshold had shovels and regularly cleared their bit of pavement.

The main roads near me are now just a slippery mix of water and slush but my side road and car park is still under 8 inches of snow and has become very difficult to get moving on with normal tyres.

Dracoro 02 February 2009 02:12 PM

Actually only about 45% of the tube is underground.

Victoria line is largely unaffected being the only line that is totally underground.

Leslie 02 February 2009 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy (Post 8475686)
To be fair, i've lived in and around London for 20 years now and I haven't seen this amount of snow since I first moved here. It's simply not practical to have snow ploughs etc at the ready for something that happens once every 20 years.
I lived in Germany as a kid and as they had vast amounts of snow every winter without fail they were well prepared. Snow ploughs, public transport always has snow tyres or chains. Every houshold had shovels and regularly cleared their bit of pavement.

The main roads near me are now just a slippery mix of water and slush but my side road and car park is still under 8 inches of snow and has become very difficult to get moving on with normal tyres.

Maybe the conditions are a bit worse than I thought, but in my days as a lad we used to have winters like that most of the time at this time of year in that area and everyone used to cope very well at the time. Only heavy drifting might stop the traffic and the buses did quite a good job of flattening the snow as well.

Les :)

GC8 02 February 2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Freak (Post 8475441)
er... I had 9inches of snow (not exagerating either) on and around the car in clapham at 4:30am today.
All the way to the m4 i couldnt go over 10mph- less in places- and it was VERY nasty, even with bugger all cars about.
NO gritters, no ploughs.
Dont know about later, but when i left it was atrocious.

Then my comments clealry dont apply to you, do they?

hutton_d 02 February 2009 06:57 PM

Crackin' day here in sunny Cornwall. Spent the morning working on the coast near Veryan - beautiful sunshine until mid-afternoon. Waves breaking gently on the beach. Almost got a suntan ..... :D

Dave

f1_fan 02 February 2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8475899)
Maybe the conditions are a bit worse than I thought, but in my days as a lad we used to have winters like that most of the time at this time of year in that area and everyone used to cope very well at the time. Only heavy drifting might stop the traffic and the buses did quite a good job of flattening the snow as well.

Les :)

Totally agree with you Les, this country is a joke these days. Just another example of the nanny state. We can't run the buses or the trains on H&S grounds. Pathetic!!!