ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   What rate to charge? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/741651-what-rate-to-charge.html)

hutton_d 26 January 2009 08:45 PM

What rate to charge?

OK. So I moved back to Cornwall last year and I now have to actually do something useful like earn some pennies. A small amount of work has come my way from a chap installing some *intelligent* power meters for companies. I'd just do the *plug it into the customer network and ensure they could see it via their web browser* bit. Fairly straightforward to be honest and if it's all powered up when I get there it'll be an hour max. on site I'd say. The trouble is I haven't the foggiest what to charge them - as I'd just be a 'contractor' doing a job (the installation), and not having been self-employed before.

An hourly rate plus mileage? A set 'installation charge' plus mileage - but limited to 1 or 2 hours? Not sure. There's also the fact that I was there today to do the work and the electricians didn't/couldn't finish the job. So we were there all day doing nowt. But I'd want paying obviously.

What do the self-employed here think about rates for the above?

Dave

PS: the sales guy seems straight and honest, plus his lad is in my lad's class at school so I don't want to fall out. This is also the first one so we're using this as a 'look see' for any future ones.

HankScorpio 26 January 2009 09:08 PM

Hourly rate for each hour onsite, min charge of two hours, regardless of delays outwith your control, no way you should lose money because of it. If you're not onsite there, you could be somewhere else.
Mileage can be a minefield, build it in to your hourly rate.

Dedrater 26 January 2009 09:35 PM

I would have a call out charge + hours on site + mileage. As you are a contractor you will be saving the company money, due to them not paying you hidden extras, holiday time, sick pay, public holiday days etc So remember to increase the hourly amount well above the 'normal' wage scale for someone in the company who has contract of service whereas you will have contract for services

In regards to calculating your mileage, from 2001/2002, the minimum amount you can claim per mile for a Car or van (first 10,000 miles) is 40p, you can negotiate this.

Mileage Payments and Passenger Payments

Mileage Allowance Payments

Section 229(2)
16.1 Mileage Allowance Payments (MAPs) are defined as 'amounts, other than passenger payments,
paid to an employee for expenses related to the employee’s use of such a vehicle for business travel'
(see paragraph 16.10 about passenger payments; 'such a vehicle' refers to any car, van, motorcycle
or cycle).
Please note that:
• the payment must be made direct to the employee, not to someone else for the employee’s
benefit
• only MAPs can be paid tax-free as AMAPs in the way described below.
Approved Mileage Allowance Payments (AMAPs)
Sections 229(3)
16.2 Employees using their own cars, vans, motorcycles or cycles for business travel can receive a
and 230
tax-free amount (the approved amount for Mileage Allowance Payments) instead of being taxable
on what they received and having to obtain a deduction for expenses incurred. These tax-free
amounts are called Approved Mileage Allowance Payments, or AMAPs for short

Employees using own vehicles for work: mileage allowance payments, AMAPs, MAR, passenger payments: table of contents

scoobymad555 26 January 2009 10:11 PM

Just to stir the pot a little ..... we'd usually bill something like that on a set price based on criteria such as the site is ready for install etc. Traveling costs etc would be factored into that set price aswell. If sites not ready for install, a charge is made all the same but you don't hang around all day - there's always another job to go do .... with a bit of luck ;) lol!

hutton_d 27 January 2009 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by scoobymad555 (Post 8458438)
Just to stir the pot a little ..... we'd usually bill something like that on a set price based on criteria such as the site is ready for install etc. Traveling costs etc would be factored into that set price aswell. If sites not ready for install, a charge is made all the same but you don't hang around all day - there's always another job to go do .... with a bit of luck ;) lol!

Take your point and would probably do the same. Think I'll charge the 'two hours minimum' as suggested by HS. As for hanging around, hopefully I won't have to in future as I'll just say it must be ready for install when I arrive.

Ta

Dave