ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   subaru coupe (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/741398-subaru-coupe.html)

sticks 25 January 2009 10:02 PM

subaru coupe

Subaru Impreza Coupe sets sights on BMW
Subaru's Impreza Coupe turns on the style and guns for German rivals

January 07, 2009

It's the most stylish Subaru ever! And this striking Impreza coupé will go into production in 2010.
Joining the recently launched hatch-back model, it will allow the Japanese company to tackle the BMW 3-Series Coupé and Nissan 350Z head-on, as well as reach out to new customers.

The car has been developed as part of a joint venture with Subaru owner Toyota – the project will also spawn a long-awaited successor to the Nineties Celica. The Impreza coupé takes styling cues from the five-door model, but gets a rakish rear end. That gives it a chunky yet athletic appearance which stands out from the crowd.

Power will come from a choice of two engines, both employing the flat-four boxer layout for which Subaru is famous. There’s a normally aspirated 2.0-litre unit giving around 180bhp, or a high-performance 2.5-litre turbo powerplant borrowed from the range-topping five-door STi. The latter will deliver in the region of 300bhp.

For the entry-level machine, the Impreza’s four-wheel-drive system will be dropped in favour of a more lightweight and less expensive rear-drive set-up. That will put the emphasis on maximum driving thrills. But the more powerful car will send power to four tyres to harness all that punch.

The newcomer will go on sale first in Japan and the US, and could arrive here in the UK in 2011. In entry-level guise, it’s set to cost around £20,000, with the flagship priced at £25,000.

In a related story, Nissan is working on an affordable rear-wheel-drive coupé to sit below the 350Z. The Silvia replacement will go on sale in 2010.

http://www.scoobytuner.com/php/st.vi...iginal/198.bmp
what do you think?

Brun 25 January 2009 10:07 PM

If Auto Express run that story like that then 9 times out of 10, it's complete ****e :(

corradoboy 25 January 2009 10:08 PM

Auto Express, The Daily Sport of motoring journalism :rolleyes: They have a 'New Subaru Scoop' about twice a month I think :cuckoo:

Last news I read of a coupe was to do with Toyota acquiring part ownership of FHI and using the Impreza platform as a base for the new Celica, using the boxer turbo but being RWD.

Ianm1983 25 January 2009 10:11 PM

either way it still looks like a bull dog licking piss off a thistle

beef-on-the-bone 25 January 2009 10:12 PM

that's a bit more like it!!!! :)

but like has been said, believe it when you see it..........

Timwinner 25 January 2009 10:13 PM

It looks like they have photo shopped some Subaru badges onto an X6.

I hope they address the current style as I can't imagine I would buy a new style Impreza, And that is a pity as I love the brand so much.

Maybe the current Impreza will grow on me and I will find my way to a 330. As for the double decker on the moon, elvis found alive auto express story. I dont like the look of that thing very much.

mje_wrx 25 January 2009 10:15 PM

im liking that coupe :)

sticks 25 January 2009 10:38 PM

what this reminds me of is when the vw golf gti started to look like when it was on steroids.then they realised that was the wrong formula and have now reverted back to the slim down mk1 gti look.
shame as they dont really need to change the scooby drastically.

gpssti4 26 January 2009 06:47 AM

Looks good to me, much more purposeful. :thumb:

Turbo2 26 January 2009 08:12 AM

Liking the Vauxhall number plate :lol1: Looks like a chunky Astra VXR.

Peanuts 26 January 2009 08:17 AM

I'm more interested in the Toyota version which will do without all the stick on tat and be correct wheel drive.

allsop83 26 January 2009 11:27 AM

This thing is old news was is it not???

Was outed months ago as a photoshop of a Vaxhaul VXR......

Would like to see something like that come out tho as the UGL-eye '08 Impreza still ain't growing on me as I hoped it would :-(

Scoobychick 26 January 2009 12:39 PM

With the World Rally Championship set to adopt a formula based on S2000 cars for the 2010 series onwards it could be that Subaru plan to return to the championship with a car designed for this purpose.

I guess something based upon the lines above could be perfect for that job :thumb:

Steve_PPP 26 January 2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by allsop83 (Post 8456255)
This thing is old news was is it not???

Was outed months ago as a photoshop of a Vaxhaul VXR......

Would like to see something like that come out tho as the UGL-eye '08 Impreza still ain't growing on me as I hoped it would :-(

Yes, that pic was doing the rounds a good 3 or 4 months ago i reckon.....

G-string 26 January 2009 08:26 PM

Photoshoped, myth, whatever if Subaru ever made that it would sell much more than the current model without a doubt.