ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Can't you buy cap guns anymore? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/741132-cant-you-buy-cap-guns-anymore.html)

Deep Singh 24 January 2009 11:35 PM

Can't you buy cap guns anymore?

I used to love cap guns when I was a kid so I decided to buy little Deep singh jnr one. I didn't notice the blurb on the side of the caps saying something about regulations and decibels etc

Anyway got it home, locked and loaded and realised I'd been ripped off. Caps these days are so quiet that you can hardly hear them, I'm not exaggerating! The sound of the metal hammer striking metal was louder than the cap and I'm not joking

Can you still buy proper caps that I used to have as a child that made a really loud bang, a flash and then a lovely smell of gunpowder?:confused:

little-ginge 24 January 2009 11:39 PM

i remember those... they used to come in a rolled up strip and those other ones which you could throw them on the floor and they would bang?

Kieran_Burns 24 January 2009 11:55 PM

Proper caps were when you folded them over as many times as you dared, got your Dads biggest hammer and then smacked them as hard as you could!!!! :D

fold fold fold
sneak sneak sneak
clunk clunk <shhhhh!!!> clunk
swwwiiiinnnnnggggg....
BANG!!!!

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING OUT THERE??!!??"
"Sorry mum!!"

fold fold fold.....

GC8 25 January 2009 12:01 AM

The best ones were in a red plastic ring. Properly loud but far dearer than a roll of caps.

Nat 25 January 2009 12:02 AM

Local shop in village sells both kind of caps so i guess somewhere must sell the guns to fire them!

nixxon 25 January 2009 12:05 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to get a real gun, and have it converted to caps?

Will 25 January 2009 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8452896)
The best ones were in a red plastic ring. Properly loud but far dearer than a roll of caps.

i remember them well

Will 25 January 2009 12:14 AM

http://netlinkenterprises.com/prodimages/914.jpg

used to own loads of these as a kid
http://pix.auctiva.com/pix/10/00/06/8_SHOT_CAP_GUN.JPG

GlesgaKiss 25 January 2009 12:15 AM

I used to have the revolver style cap guns with the red ring of caps like GC8 mentioned. During a summer holiday, me and my best pal at the time were playing with them in my papa's garage.

There was string and WD40 in the garage, so we put the caps down on the ground, made a big circle with the string, sprayed it with WD40 and then hit the caps on top of the string with a hammer.

Didn't expect it to work, but the whole circle lit up making a ring of fire. :L My Papa unfortunately noticed and came and stamped it out - probably a good thing with all the chemicals in the garage. Lol

Still, good times!

boxst 25 January 2009 12:23 AM

I was very happy to find that spud guns still exist. The ones that are water pistols, fire caps, and also spuds. Bought three for my children and I:

http://www.kitschcapers.com/acatalog/spud_gun_retro.jpg

Steve

Deep Singh 25 January 2009 07:51 AM

Actually, I don't think its buying the guns thats a problem but I think the old style loud caps (plastic or paper) have been banned.

Usual health and safety nonsense, never did me any harm as a kid

hoskib 25 January 2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 8453080)
Actually, I don't think its buying the guns thats a problem but I think the old style loud caps (plastic or paper) have been banned.

Usual health and safety nonsense, never did me any harm as a kid

didn't know that about caps and cap guns being quietened down, shame it's just harmless fun.

devil bangers are as noisy as they've ever been though if you're just interested in having a laugh and making noise :thumb:

pimmo2000 25 January 2009 12:04 PM

My brother bought a packet of those snapper things, you throw on the floor when he was about 7 and (thinking they were sweets) took a bite out of one ..

The face that they were stored in sawdust didn't seem to bother him .. the loud bang in this mouth did though lol

My mum just laughed, these days they would sue for that.

hoskib 25 January 2009 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 8453487)
My brother bought a packet of those snapper things, you throw on the floor when he was about 7 and (thinking they were sweets) took a bite out of one ..

embarrased to admit i'm guilty of that one aswell! :lol1:

Ian 25 January 2009 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 8452941)
I was very happy to find that spud guns still exist. The ones that are water pistols, fire caps, and also spuds. Bought three for my children and I:

http://www.kitschcapers.com/acatalog/spud_gun_retro.jpg

Steve

got my dad one of them for xams :)

DJ_Jon 25 January 2009 12:14 PM

I remember the rolls of caps, fold them in half, wrap round a marble, sellotape, then repeat as many times as you dare - lob 'cap bomb' at a wall & wait for a very loud BANG!!

good times....

paulg1979 25 January 2009 12:17 PM

I used to lay the paper ones out and run a coin along of them. Loved the smell :)

Ian 25 January 2009 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon (Post 8453509)
I remember the rolls of caps, fold them in half, wrap round a marble, sellotape, then repeat as many times as you dare - lob 'cap bomb' at a wall & wait for a very loud BANG!!

good times....

use to do the same with 1p and 2p

and around firework night, you use to be able to buy the bangers (like little sticks of tnt), use to wrap caps and tape around there to :)

tanyatriangles 25 January 2009 12:33 PM

Those roll ones: I remember two things about them.
The first was folding and folding a whole roll, putting it in my mate's dad's vice, and then tightening said vice with a length of steel pipe.
The resulting bang was most gratifying..................but it cracked the vice and we had to buy a new one:(

Another day a mate had a roll at school. He kept scratching a few with a compass point every time the geography teacher turned to the board, with the result that when the guy looked round after hearing the spluttering noise, there was a cloud of smoke just dissipating.

So he asks my mate, "Thompson, is that you?"
To which mate replies, all affronted and as if there's nowt there, "Is WHAT me?"

I laughed so hard I got thrown out of the room.
Unfortunately the deputy head was out patrolling, found me chucked out, and I got one stroke of cane for being out of lesson:(

Still laugh about it today.

mamoon2 25 January 2009 09:46 PM

Fond memories of cap guns from when I were a lad.

I remember being 9/10 years old and taking my cap gun to Florida with me. Unthinkable now but back then things were different. Anyway..... Me and my dad were walking down the street one night and I let off a few round from the cap gun, only to see three American guys who were walking in front of us, dive for cover behind a car :lol1: :lol1:

Obviously when you hear them sounds over there it's more than likely real. Happy days

DYK 25 January 2009 09:58 PM

Bloody feck i remember them red ones rolled up in a pack,And bangers,we used to throw them at each other,let stink bombs off in shops,and at school.Them stink bombs were lethal.

Bonehead 25 January 2009 10:32 PM

It's all a bit jumpers for goalposts this, but bringing back top memories of some serious shenanigans :D :D :D

abbott 26 January 2009 01:18 AM

you can still get the paper rolls of caps , you get them in the "morning noon and night" about 200 yards from my house , as i was amazed when i saw them and bought them and a cap gun for my wee man a few weeks ago (wich i must admit he got nowhere near as i was too busy running about the house shooting it )

although the cap gun was crap little blue thing nowhere near as realistic as the badboys we used to get 15-20 years ago !

anyone fancy a group buy i can arrange LOL

tanyatriangles 26 January 2009 01:47 PM

Can you still get stink bombs?
There's this scamera van that parks up near my house....................

Tenby 26 January 2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon (Post 8453509)

good times....

used to do this with 2p pieces. good times indeed

lozgti 26 January 2009 03:58 PM

Great thread!

How come we all grew up with cap guns and sheath knives which we wore proudly on the belt (a la Tarzan) but didn't grow up yearning to stab people or shoot them.

(those potato ones can be powerful)

MJW 26 January 2009 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 8457017)
Great thread!

How come we all grew up with cap guns and sheath knives which we wore proudly on the belt (a la Tarzan) but didn't grow up yearning to stab people or shoot them.

Speak for yourself, I shanked loads of people with mine ! And in those days, you could leave your door open ! :D

davegtt 26 January 2009 04:08 PM

:lol1: I remember all these, the round red caps were the best. made some seriously loud bangs back in the day.

Some guns and caps for sale here

Toy Cap Guns UK | Fake Guns for Sale | partydomain.co.uk

Dunno if they'll still be as loud as we had as kids though

DYK 26 January 2009 06:00 PM

You can still get stink bombs and Fart spray,might just have too order some of these babies.Hope they haven't been watered down over the years,the fun we used to have letting these loose.I got banned from my local news agent's once for letting one off in their when i was a kid.Lol the shop had to be evacuated and the door left fully open to help get rid of the smell.And buying them swiss army knifes and spending allday cutting down tree branches with the pull out saw,and building tree houses with them.OH them were the days when it was just harmless fun and a good laugh.

Stink Bombs - The Joke Shop

Removed. 26 January 2009 07:52 PM

Anyone feeling brave? I wonder if the sniffer dogs at HMRC would flag this up?

Funny Pranks with Liquid ASS.