ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Please help me, I got overtaken by an astra (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/741022-please-help-me-i-got-overtaken-by-an-astra.html)

carl 00 24 January 2009 05:21 PM

Please help me, I got overtaken by an astra

Help, I have an 2000 impreza wrx just today the check engine light came on (wouldn't go away) i got home left it for a bit started it and it was gone rev it a little to move it behold now it is a flashing check warning light, I can't rev above 3000 it ****s and misses like someone has taken my turbo away please anyone:cry:

TonyBurns 24 January 2009 05:29 PM

Dealer asap! your car has gone into limp mode for some reason and you need to find out what has done it!

Tony:)

carl 00 24 January 2009 05:37 PM

Owww bugger, realy is there nothing you think i can do with it? someone said maf sensor to me. I haven't had it long so don't know much about it!

TonyBurns 24 January 2009 05:40 PM

If its the MAF you would also have seen the car hunting, and they normally dont put you into limp mode :( but the car has seen something quite serious to knock it into that state in the first place :(

Any mods and what fuel are you running the car on?

pink pantha 24 January 2009 05:42 PM

have you changed anything since you had it ie dump valve if so could b maf any noises

carl 00 24 January 2009 05:59 PM

Hummmm

Well when i first got it and ever since when you drove it slowly and maby in high gear it would ever so slightly hezzitate,There is nothing modifyed on it appart from the mid and back box, and i run it on 97/99 ron fuel i cleaned out the air box and pipe etc been in a dusty place, It was running fine before then this......

Wagon Gaz 24 January 2009 06:13 PM

You've not pulled a wire off your MAF sensor with your cleaning have you?:wonder:

carl 00 24 January 2009 06:23 PM

Ahh well

Yeah i did take it off when i was cleening cause took the top of the airbox off but i put it back on tho and i didn't have the ignition on or anything, What's all about fault codes reading them alot of people speaking abot them?? Could it help me??:confused: :confused:

mad macca mccann 24 January 2009 06:52 PM

sounds like the way mine last time went into limp mode went to a auto electricks place they reset the ecu for 20 quid and never had the problem since worth a look as a new maff aint cheap

carl 00 24 January 2009 07:04 PM

Yeah might be an idea, start a new job monday which aint good. Just found out about the fault codes and it says my maf is gone so i dunno mabe i could reset the ecu myself maby? any ideas anyone please?

overlord 24 January 2009 07:49 PM

have a look in here
Main Heading Goes Here

sarahscooby 24 January 2009 08:02 PM

this happened to mine it turned out it was the knock sensor and lamber sencor, as soon as i changed it it went away. good luck mate

dlatch 24 January 2009 11:37 PM

bit odd you have Maf failure shortly after cleaning air filter housing what did u use to clean it?
sounds like its possible you have contaminated the maf sensor (easily done sadly)

hope u get it fixed

FB Tuning 25 January 2009 12:01 AM

Use the instructions in the link on post #11 - As your EML is now flashing, there will be one or more fault codes to read from the ecu, which will identify the problem.

Fat Boy 25 January 2009 08:43 AM

switch it on let it idle and then pull the wire off the Maf.If it makes no difference it's the maf. if it dies, it's something else.

Probably the maf - common fault on MY2000 models - new one is £75 or so from a main dealer and can be swapped in minutes.

carl 00 25 January 2009 08:58 AM

Righty ho, i found the black plugs as sugested, i've read the code as long long short short short.That is the only one and it keeps repeting which i have inteprited as number 23 maf sensor. I didn't use anything to clean the air box and pipe etc just a dry cloth. I've yet to try the reset. Now where to get a maf on a sunday. I realy appreciate everyones help thanks alot i've goto get down to shakespere county raceway seeing as it's only 20 mins from where i live...

TonyBurns 25 January 2009 09:02 AM

Keep the car below 3k rpm, dont go stupid and you will be ok :) rag her and you will get det, not a good idea :(

carl 00 25 January 2009 09:18 AM

To be fair i think i'll just leave it on the drive and try the ecu reset,does anyone know about changing the ecu for one that does not need a maf?........

TonyBurns 25 January 2009 09:27 AM

You need to control the airflow into the engine, that is what the Mass Air Flow sensor does, you can buy ecu's that do things slightly different but they are quite pricey (1.6-2k)
The outcome of having a naffed maf sensor and doing nothing for the (less than) 100 quid they cost inc vat is a 2.5-3k engine rebuild, so really its up to you ;) its far cheaper just to buy a new maf sensor and fit it.

Turbotits 25 January 2009 09:40 AM

If its showing a complete maf failure and youve recently had it of then i would suguest you check and recheck the wiring to it. Not just that its pluged in. Check that one of the wires on the plug hasnt come out etc.

sy. 25 January 2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 8453124)
switch it on let it idle and then pull the wire off the Maf.If it makes no difference it's the maf. if it dies, it's something else.

Probably the maf - common fault on MY2000 models - new one is £75 or so from a main dealer and can be swapped in minutes.

why do people think this is the way to confirm maf fail!! a failing maf can still give voltage or be stuck on one value so car would cut out if maf disconnected but maf still faulty!! as the car in question is a my00 it has an odb port and can
have the maf voltages read via data monitor to confirm weather maf needs replacing or not!!

pug32 25 January 2009 09:58 AM

had exactly the same on mine - MAF was the problem.

was under aftermarket warranty at the time so they went cheapest bits first and changed the lamda then the knock but it was the MAF

carl 00 25 January 2009 10:01 AM

Yeah that's what i'm thinking i've just try'd the ecu reset and it still has the same error code being the maf sensor, I've just pulled the sensor out it's one of those anoying i can't see anything wring with it situations!!!:mad: I'll just have to order one tomorrow i think. Most dealers should carry one seeing as they are a common thing......Is the dealer the best place or does anyone else know of anywhere??

Turbotits 25 January 2009 10:06 AM

Daft question maybe. You did have it in the right way round so the air flow is in the right direction?

carl 00 25 January 2009 10:18 AM

Well i thought about that so i try'd putting it in the other way round, It won't fit the other way. I've just looked at it and looked to clean the inside whre the crap would get and there was metalicy flakes in there realy tiny.......

dlatch 25 January 2009 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by carl 00 (Post 8453284)
and there was metalicy flakes in there realy tiny.......

hmm the flakes don't sound good it should be clean and dry i would seriously consider getting a new air filter as well so your new Maf does not go the way of the old one.

can you post a close up pic pointing down the maf?

carl 00 25 January 2009 12:04 PM

I just try'd to take a photo but the quality was not v good, Are we thinking the best place to get a new one is the dealer? Anyone got a new one i could buy from them?:)

TonyBurns 25 January 2009 12:52 PM

Dont be a skinflint ;) its less than a 100 quid for the part inc vat, you get a reciept, no doubt the part has a 1 year warranty, your engine on the other hand is very expensive, doesnt have a warranty, coast 25-30 times as much if it goes bang, so pop down to a dealer and get a new on ;)

turboDean 25 January 2009 12:55 PM

Yeah get it from the dealer should be about £80, the part number for a 99/00 MAF is 22794AA010.

OcTag3n 25 January 2009 01:12 PM

I have a spare MAF if you want to buy it. I bought it in error trying to diagnose if the problem I had was the MAF. Turned Out to be the Lambda sensor. Anyway it's a genuine part 22794AA010 & you can have it for £30.