ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   ITV News this morning (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/740143-itv-news-this-morning.html)

jasey 21 January 2009 08:55 AM

ITV News this morning

I'm all for equal opportunities - but news readers should be able to speak correctly.

The black girl reading the news said something along the lines of "Mr smith was 'aksed' his opinion on the matter".

Come on ITV yo 'News' is pish enough witout us not being able to understand wha's bein said - Innit !

Jamie 21 January 2009 09:03 AM

*Chucks jasey a H *

stilover 21 January 2009 09:41 AM

Know what you mean Jasey.

Every News reader who makes a slight stumble, stutter, or just makes a slight mistake, should be taken outside and shot.

They're supposed to be professionals. Start acting like it. :mad:

kingofturds 21 January 2009 09:44 AM

A black person reading the news:eek: my god they'll be running for president next.

EddScott 21 January 2009 09:50 AM

Can't watch ITV News. Its like the TV version of a tabloid paper.

BBC isn't much better with weak questions to those in power and pretend pushing of points being avoided.

Blue by You 21 January 2009 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8442213)
Know what you mean Jasey.

Every News reader who makes a slight stumble, stutter, or just makes a slight mistake, should be taken outside and shot.

They're supposed to be professionals. Start acting like it. :mad:

+1
Enough dumbing down.
I'm not too bothered about the odd stumble, that can happen to anybody, but if the professionals can't use grammatically correct English with the appropriate pronunciation, then they shouldn't be in the job in the first place. Neither, for that matter, should the chimp who gave them the job!
What would be next, txt spk?
Rant over :)

stilover 21 January 2009 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 8442229)
Can't watch ITV News. Its like the TV version of a tabloid paper.

BBC isn't much better with weak questions to those in power and pretend pushing of points being avoided.

Only watch the Channel 4 news. BBC & ITV is news dumbed down far to much.

Where the BBC spend 2 minutes on a story, Channel 4 spend 15mins, giving facts and decent interviews.

stilover 21 January 2009 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 8442232)
+1
Enough dumbing down.
I'm not too bothered about the odd stumble, that can happen to anybody, but if the professionals can't use grammatically correct English with the appropriate pronunciation, then they shouldn't be in the job in the first place. Neither, for that matter, should the chimp who gave them the job!
What would be next, txt spk?
Rant over :)

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

Blue by You 21 January 2009 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8442244)
Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

I wasn't, with the exception of agreeing with the shooting part.

I'm sick of hearing so-called presenters and pundits on TV who simply can't be bothered to pronounce words correctly.
Do they all suffer from some strange speech defect? If so they shouldn't be in the job.
Or are they just lazy? If so, shape up or ship out.

Mark Blundell (ITV F1) is a classic example, among many others, who spends too much time Finking instead of taulkin proply.
Does he think it's an acceptably 'Blokey' thing to do because his job is associated with a mainly male dominated interest?
Martin Brundle and James May are both 'Blokey' guys, but they don't appear to suffer from the same verbal disability in spite of being associated with the same male dominated interest, i.e. cars.
Small examples perhaps, but point made I think.
Just my opinion.

lozgti 21 January 2009 11:06 AM

I get annoyed with the Radio 4 lot.

They all seem to be using the word 'gonna'.eg 'And now the weather.It's gonna be sunny':(

David Lock 21 January 2009 11:57 AM

I've found that most people with Caribbean origins will say "axe" instead of "ask". Apart from the posh ones like Sir Trevor :)

No worse than anyone North of Watford using a hard "a" in words like Newcastle when everyone knows it should be Newcarstle :D

dl

J4CKO 21 January 2009 12:03 PM

Trevor Mc Doughnut was ok !

And he's a proper darkie and no mistake.

(The comment above is tongue in cheek by the way)

I do see the OP's point, newsreaders need to speak well, I personally love those old Pathe New Reels where they speak really posh and a little too fast.

Norman D. Landing 21 January 2009 12:04 PM

So how do you monkeys south of Watford differentiate between the pronunciation of the words 'pass' and 'parse' then? ;)

GC8 21 January 2009 12:15 PM

It amuses me that they mistake their ignorant mispronunciation for being 'well-spoken'.

Blue by You 21 January 2009 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Norman D. Landing (Post 8442497)
So how do you monkeys south of Watford differentiate between the pronunciation of the words 'pass' and 'parse' then? ;)

Recognition of context!
You wouldn't Parse on the outside lane of a motorway any more than you would try to Pass this sentence.

Norman D. Landing 21 January 2009 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 8442528)
Recognition of context!
You wouldn't Parse on the outside lane of a motorway any more than you would try to Pass this sentence.

But if I'd heard you speak the above sentence I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about, point proven! :thumb:

coolangatta 21 January 2009 12:44 PM

How long before the good old BBC/ITV are using americanisms like winningest...e.g. the most winningest team this season :(

TelBoy 21 January 2009 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8442241)
far to much.

Marvellous :)

Blue by You 21 January 2009 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Norman D. Landing (Post 8442545)
But if I'd heard you speak the above sentence I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about, point proven! :thumb:

Not at all. In a conversation you would have a grasp of the context of the conversation which would clearly indicate the meaning of the words used.
We wouldn't be discussing motorway overtaking tactics, and then one of us mysteriously confuse it with grammatical de-construction, would we?
As I said previously, context is the clue.

Still think your point stands? :thumb:

oldsplice 21 January 2009 08:41 PM

Hactually, I think the 's' in parse is pronounced more like a 'z'. :)

Blue by You 21 January 2009 10:48 PM

Quite parzably. :thumb: :)

Abdabz 22 January 2009 08:48 AM

Yes the black people saying axe instead of ask is most amusing :D
"I am going axe my dad" or "Go and axe him over there"... No wonder knife crime is on the up :lol1:
Like my dad used to say to me, "if you can't talk properly don't talk at all"