ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MD321H - What Headers? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/739556-md321h-what-headers.html)

Harryr34 18 January 2009 09:29 PM

MD321H - What Headers?

Hi,

What headers do you recommend?

I bought a set of gt spec headers but have discovered that they have a small leak around the flanges that mount to the block!

I am looking into replacement tubular headers as i need to replace them before i have the map tweaked.

Thanks
Haroon

dazdavies 18 January 2009 09:34 PM

GT spec 2 headers

dunx 18 January 2009 09:51 PM

Funny I got told that that never happens...

I ought to laugh, but won't.

I got three bolt version, all come from the same place so shop around for the best price.

HTH

dunx

Harryr34 18 January 2009 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 8435857)
Funny I got told that that never happens...

I ought to laugh, but won't.

I got three bolt version, all come from the same place so shop around for the best price.

HTH

dunx

TBH it could have been my own fault as i didn't fit the brackets that hold the turbo to the block, i thought it wouldn't put any strain on the headers as the up-pipe is bolted to the bracket!

You live & learn i guess :freak3:

sti.dean 19 January 2009 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Harryr34 (Post 8435881)
TBH it could have been my own fault as i didn't fit the brackets that hold the turbo to the block, i thought it wouldn't put any strain on the headers as the up-pipe is bolted to the bracket!

You live & learn i guess :freak3:

what brackets that hold the turbo to block:wonder: i have a 321h on my car and i don,t recall fitting any brackets that held the turbo to the block apart from the bracket that the uppipe bolts to. try lateral perforemance for a set of headers or could yours just be rewelded around the flange.

dunx 19 January 2009 09:46 PM

Don't laugh, I didn't quite remove enough metal from the bellhousing on mine so it stressed everything, causing a leak.
Then I shed a bolt from the up-pipe god only knows how as I torqued the bugger up !

Then a week after fitting I noticed it "chuffing" from the nearside cylinder head. Took it all off and re-fitted.

GRRRRRR !

Have to say that (pre-mapping) the spool and "kick" are awesome !

BIG RESPECT TO LATERAL FOR THE MD321H I HAVE TO SAY ! :notworthy

I can't wait to get my clutch in and map done now !

LOL

dunx

Power Junkie 19 January 2009 09:52 PM

Im still using the Standard, but Ported headers. still works very well.

Harryr34 19 January 2009 11:41 PM

I don't know what the brackets look like!

Did any of you guys fit the brackets that hold the turbo?

I know what you mean about not removing too much metal from the bell housing! I removed a little, fitted the turbo to up-pipe then thought maybe i should remove more just incase. There is enough clearence between the turbo and bell housing now.

I think the headers were a bad fit to start with as i couldn't bolt the up-pipe to its bracket without using a clamp to bring it inline with the bracket. It was an inch out!

It is an awesome turbo, spools very early and hits hard :norty: