ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Cracked wastegate on turbo question (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/739538-cracked-wastegate-on-turbo-question.html)

dannytwo 18 January 2009 08:39 PM

Cracked wastegate on turbo question

Hi
Could you take a look at the picture,where the black line is on the wastegate, a crack has appeared!
About the same length as the black line.

What causes this?
Where can it be repaired?
What damage can be done if left?

Cheers

Dannytwo

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/dannytwo/aps1.jpg

STI_Baly 18 January 2009 09:05 PM

Out of curiosity what turbo is this ? Looks like an APS jobbie if i'm not mistaken?

The crack at the moment is very minor and someone may fix it - (sorry not sure who would/could) maybe someone like turbo technics might. But i must say the turbine housing will be scrap if you can see light through it when removed this will also mean gas leak and turbo will not reach boost required.

It happens due to the turbine housing heating up to extreme temperatures then cooling off to very cold i.e. in winter. IMHO i would replace it with new housing. Although i wouldn't even put that one back in if the crack was near turbine wheel....just not worth it i suppose.

Please do post back contact details of the person who repairs this for you as i would be interested to know what type of work guarantee he/she would offer.

Good Luck (sorry i wasn;t of much help)

dannytwo 18 January 2009 09:32 PM

Yes it is an APS turbo
Cheers for the info:)

Slowboy Racing 19 January 2009 08:02 AM

The turbo looks new ?

GreenDream 19 January 2009 11:04 AM

Turbine housing cracks can not be welded. Due to the heat ransfer and the heat cycles through the housing, the crack would re-appear in a very short time. It will need addressing asap as it will cause boost control issues. If the CHRA (Centre Housing Rotating Assembly) and the compressor housing are ok, you should just be able to buy a new turbine housing, but they are not cheap!

StickyMicky 19 January 2009 12:53 PM

my tdo5 housing was welded up 2 years back around the clamping section ;)

GreenDream 19 January 2009 02:27 PM

Around the clamping section is a little different, but round the wastegate will never give a reliable repair and i don't know one turbocharger remanufacturer that would guarantee the work, certainly not ours.

cheers Dan :thumb:

The rookie 19 January 2009 04:13 PM

The VF39's crack all the time, many get used for many thousands of miles with no problems after the crack appears, and its right on the wastegate seat like that.

Simon

Shaun 19 January 2009 05:21 PM

This turbo looks like it has been rebuilt from an old housing, that has been refurbed.

Change the housing and don't bother risking it.

It's either because it's monkey metal or EGT's have been too high.

If the crack goes through the housing, whilst it may operate, you will be losing boost pressure.

dannytwo 19 January 2009 10:50 PM

How much will it cost roughly for a new housing?

GreenDream 20 January 2009 10:06 AM

It depends whether you can get a good re-man housing or a new one. Anything from £100 to about £400.

That's what we charged anyway (i used to work for one of the largest turbo suppliers in the country :thumb: ).

GreenDream 20 January 2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by The rookie (Post 8437320)
The VF39's crack all the time, many get used for many thousands of miles with no problems after the crack appears, and its right on the wastegate seat like that.

Simon

Not without boost control issues it wouldn't.

1uke 16 May 2009 10:21 PM

*Bump* I just brought a vf35 with same problem, Just checking there is no way to repair this? before I send it back to the ebayer!

STI_Baly 17 May 2009 09:43 AM

Send it back it's not worth it. Especially with an IHI.