ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Would a leaking exhaust make you lose a bit power? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/739310-would-a-leaking-exhaust-make-you-lose-a-bit-power.html)

seanreay1986 17 January 2009 09:31 PM

Would a leaking exhaust make you lose a bit power?

Just wondering if a blowing exhaust will make you loose a little power, the blowing is between the downpipe and the centre section.

Gonna hopefully get it sorted tomorrow but just wondering.

Chris.B 17 January 2009 09:47 PM

Yes it would mate :(

jonny_693 17 January 2009 09:51 PM

Yes you will loose at least 0.000000001 BHP

bob r 17 January 2009 10:07 PM

Well if you think you are going to be going warp speed after the exhaust leak is fixed you wrong.
Perhaps on the rollers it would show an extra 1 nats horse power.:lol1:

Chris.B 17 January 2009 10:27 PM

Sorry but you are both wrong. If your exhaust is blowing there (obviously depending on how bad).
You will noticeably lose power, not just 0. of a BHP.

tomdscooby 22 January 2009 09:52 PM

i thought that the sooner after the turbo the exhaust gas leaves the better lol eg.a foot of pipe out the wing from the turbo:thumb:

99greenwagon 22 January 2009 10:06 PM

if there is a leak anywhere on exhaust you will dramatically lose performance!:thumb:

dannytwo 23 January 2009 12:04 AM

if you were talking about a Naturally-aspirated engine then yes the loss in power would be noticable!

But not in a turbo'ed motor:)

dannytwo 23 January 2009 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by tomdscooby (Post 8447185)
i thought that the sooner after the turbo the exhaust gas leaves the better lol eg.a foot of pipe out the wing from the turbo:thumb:

your not far wrong mate:)

jonny_693 23 January 2009 09:39 AM

Lol

99greenwagon 23 January 2009 03:51 PM

no u have that wrong,it would be well noticable!:cuckoo:

TonyBurns 23 January 2009 04:17 PM

You still need back pressure, if the exhaust is broken then you will lose back pressure and therefore lose power.

Tony:)

Jolly Green Monster 23 January 2009 04:24 PM

It can be very noticeable.
If you removed the exhaust that would be different.
You will get less through flow of fumes through the whole system.

dannytwo 23 January 2009 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 8449107)
It can be very noticeable.
If you removed the exhaust that would be different.
You will get less through flow of fumes through the whole system.

What would you know!! :lol1:

You learn something every day:thumb:

scooby1doo1 23 January 2009 04:51 PM

Funny how peeps say you dont lose naff untill JGM says you do:lol1: then they agree. I lost 27.5 bhp on the rollers, due to exhaust leaking from down pipe.
If you car'nt tell or if you say you dont lose any bhp try putting you foot down:norty:

dannytwo 23 January 2009 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by scooby1doo1 (Post 8449173)
Funny how peeps say you dont lose naff untill JGM says you do:lol1: then they agree. I lost 27.5 bhp on the rollers, due to exhaust leaking from down pipe.
If you car'nt tell or if you say you dont lose any bhp try putting you foot down:norty:

Not really,its just he has given an explanation,the others didnt!

spudit 23 January 2009 11:45 PM

just to let u know

hi yes u would lose power because the exhaust pipe is there 2 take out the exhaust at a sertain rate any interfearance with this you will lose power :top:

steviecrump 23 January 2009 11:50 PM

[QUOTE=spudit;8450580]hi yes u would lose power because the exhaust pipe is there 2 take out the exhaust at a sertain rate any interfearance with this you will lose power :top:[/QUOTE
good spelling mate:lol:

scooby1doo1 24 January 2009 05:20 AM

why do people always jump on other peeps spelling, did you or did you not under stand it. STEVIECRUMP WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY SPELLING:wonder:

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! lkie fcuk!!!

joz8968 24 January 2009 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by scooby1doo1 (Post 8450724)
why do people always jump on other peeps spelling, did you or did you not under stand it. STEVIECRUMP WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY SPELLING:wonder:

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! lkie fcuk!!!

:lol1: !tah dlo ,yletanutrofnu ,tub ...gnitseretnI

CarlsWrx 25 January 2009 12:02 AM

You guys are crazy

steviecrump 25 January 2009 02:28 AM

I certainly rate your spelling as good!:sleep:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT.

sy. 25 January 2009 09:40 AM

big point missed here... the leak on the exhaust will loose a bit small amount of power but will also affect fuel consumption!! oh and increase your carbon big foot :D

die-tryin 25 January 2009 01:07 PM

Well it would depend on where and how bad it is blowing

ie.. any blow before a turbo is bad because it needs the gases to spin it, so if they are leaking out beforethe turbo it will not spin as fast hence lack of power bigger the blow more power lost....

after a turbo best thing is to get rid of gases asap turbos dont like back pressure they creat enoght them selfs i think, so any blow would be good.

Jolly Green Monster 25 January 2009 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by die-tryin (Post 8453616)

after a turbo best thing is to get rid of gases asap turbos dont like back pressure they creat enoght them selfs i think, so any blow would be good.

this is correct but a leak doesn't do that..

you are assumnig the leak would make the exhaust gases escape quicker but it won't.

If you took the exhaust off then that is different. . but you will slow the gas speed through the exhaust system with a small leak causing more back pressure..

you know if you watch a rain drop run down the window.. it slowly runs down.. the next one then uses that now wet route down the glass and runs quicker.. it is a bit like that with gas flow in a very basic form.. the fumes will travel faster if the route is the same right the way out the back of the tail pipe.. any leak and it is like the fumes finding antoher route and there will be less gas speed through the exhaust and it will take longer to exist.. a bit like a hose leak.. the pressure in the hose drops and the overall time for the water to exist will be slower..

Simon

joz8968 25 January 2009 01:40 PM

Simon, that is brilliantly put for laymen/mortals to understand! :D :lol1:

The raindrop analogy is sooo easy to understand too! :)

Wicked. :notworthy