ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   CALLING ALL SPRAYERS (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/738789-calling-all-sprayers.html)

wrx,sti 15 January 2009 06:38 PM

CALLING ALL SPRAYERS

Had my car back today from the spray shop, it went in for the front bumper and rear passenger door,the bumper looks fine but the door looks slightly different shade in the day but at night under the street lights it look a totally different colour
How hard is it to spray and match the paint on a wr blue car!

JonMc 15 January 2009 06:48 PM

I'm not a professional sprayer, but I used to do my own cars so this is not gospel, but in my experience and discussion with the guys who taught me, any metallic is difficult to match, but the paint would normally be blended further up adjacent panels to avoid the sort of problem you seem to have.

Midlife...... 15 January 2009 07:13 PM

The effect you describe is "metamerism" ........It shouldn't be a problem for modern paints though.

I've had lots of bits sprayed for my MY02 bugeye in WR Blue Mica without problems. :D

I'm not a paint sprayer but have been on the receiving end of quite a bit since modding my bugeye LOL

Shaun

JonMc 15 January 2009 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 8427604)
The effect you describe is "metamerism" ........It shouldn't be a problem for modern paints though.

Although the quality of the painter and mixer can affect this, some mixers don't measure quite as accurately as the mix states and go with rough measures.

I've had paint mixed up in DBM for my bug and I can see the difference.:confused:

Connor_scotland 15 January 2009 07:19 PM

I had the same issue with my front splitter but that was in WR1 blue

Painted but looks a slightly different shade

Ian 15 January 2009 07:38 PM

also the pressure the paint is spraied onto the car will cause this as the metalic bits will fall/lay different

wrx,sti 15 January 2009 07:40 PM

Thanks for the replays guys:thumb: ,it's going back in on the 26th to have it blended in with the rear quarter and passenger door and wing after a phone call to the spray shop:luxhello: :luxhello:

scooby jay 15 January 2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by wrx,sti (Post 8427504)
Had my car back today from the spray shop, it went in for the front bumper and rear passenger door,the bumper looks fine but the door looks slightly different shade in the day but at night under the street lights it look a totally different colour
How hard is it to spray and match the paint on a wr blue car!

Hello by what you say has happened they have painted the rear door edge to edge get them to blend the rear quater panel and front door so they can flick the colour out thru the ajoining panels this will solve your colour issues

colours will always look diffrent under sodium street lightening reds and yellows are the worst for this it also depends if its been painted before