ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   No jobs for graduates (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/738492-no-jobs-for-graduates.html)

lozgti 14 January 2009 03:45 PM

No jobs for graduates

On the basis that virtually everyone seems to go to 'University' are they really surprised.

I always thought the secret plan was give everyone 4 A levels and hide them away in further education...helps the jobless figures...

But they are out now looking for work.Where will you hide them Gordon? Should they all do a masters for a year?

Torquemada 14 January 2009 03:56 PM

Serves 'em right tbh. Waaaay too many people going to uni, doing useless Media studies degrees etc. It used to be the top 10% who'd go to uni, now they seem to let anybody in! :freak3:

TelBoy 14 January 2009 04:00 PM

Bizarre, i was going to cite media studies myself!! If i was an employer i'd be highly sceptical of all but the best degrees these days. A degree today isn't what it was a decade ago. And it certainly shouldn't be a guarantee of a cosy first job.

davegtt 14 January 2009 04:02 PM

Go out and get a proper apprenticeship. You'll always be needed with a trade!!!

TelBoy 14 January 2009 04:03 PM

Not sure the boys at JCB would agree with you but i know what you mean...

Torquemada 14 January 2009 04:09 PM

Surf Science!?:eek: The Rundown | Features - The UK's wackiest degrees

subaruturbo_18 14 January 2009 04:09 PM

Well i'm doing an engineering degree, one of the more important ones, so when i graduate i should be fine :D

Originally Posted by Torquemada (Post 8424142)

I've just looked at the above website and found..

"Potentially funnier are the Stand-up Comedy courses offered by the University of Kent and the University of Salford. Peter Kay himself took this module while he was completing his HND at Salford."

If peter kay is anything to go by, anyone wanting to be a comedian should not do this course

TelBoy 14 January 2009 04:12 PM

Yes you shuld be. If you run your application letters through a spell checker...

ronjeramy 14 January 2009 04:14 PM

And what about all the debt they have aquired over the years of Uni?

subaruturbo_18 14 January 2009 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8424156)
Yes you shuld be. If you run your application letters through a spell checker...

Smart arse :brickwall

Peanuts 14 January 2009 04:17 PM

lol at Tel.

I said it before and I'll say it again.

I was raised to believe that there are 3 degrees worth having that will stand you in pretty good stead for work.
In no particular order:

Medicine
Law
Engineering

Everything else is pish

zeuss 14 January 2009 04:19 PM

I am at University at the moment just completing my final year doing Business Computing and Multimedia and the future does look bleak for once I qualify

davegtt 14 January 2009 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 8424178)
lol at Tel.

I was raised to believe that there are 3 degrees worth having that will stand you in pretty good stead for work.
In no particular order:

Medicine
Law
Engineering

Everything else is pish

A degree in life experience is what my Dad told me :)

TelBoy 14 January 2009 04:20 PM

Is that Zeus with a lithp? :Suspiciou

warrenm2 14 January 2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8424156)

quite :nono:

davegtt 14 January 2009 04:30 PM

:lol1: BUSTED :D

rr_ww 14 January 2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by zeuss (Post 8424184)
I am at University at the moment just completing my final year doing Business Computing and Multimedia and the future does look bleak for once I qualify

I don't want to come across as Ignorant (having no degree to my name) but what exactly do you study? Surely all Business' use computers. Normally of the input data type. And Multimedia? Well isn't that using the Internet or watching TV?

How far off am I to assume, you learn how to use the internet [homer]they have the internet on computers nowadays?[/homer] to input data about business?

I concur with Peanuts point about the big 3. I'll possibly add Science to it though and maybe langauges. ;) And everybody elses that a) Uni graduates generally can't wipe their own arse in my experience! and b) If you do a soft Degree, you've wasted all that time and money, and would have better earnings potential if you'd worked at Tescos and progressed from shelf stacker to manager. Plus you wouldn't have the £200K debt these students mange to run up in 4 years!

Nat 14 January 2009 04:34 PM

There are plenty of jobs for graduates with proper degrees.

There are not many for morons who studied "soft" subjects just for the sake of getting a degree.

Leslie 15 January 2009 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 8424222)

Or even Owned!

Les

Matteeboy 15 January 2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 8424178)
lol at Tel.

In no particular order:

Medicine
Law
Engineering

Everything else is pish

Woo hoo, I have a proper degree!!
Not been much use to me though...

Just helped a nr Grad write his CV (landlords son!) and although I think he's now got a pretty useful document to use, it feels like equipping a soldier for the modern battlefield with a wooden spoon as a weapon.
Three years ago he would have got a job easily, now it's going to be VERY hard. And yes, he does (nearly) have a proper degree from a proper red brick Uni.

warrenm2 15 January 2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8426256)
Or even Owned!

Les

Actually, I think you'll find that it's pwned!

TelBoy 15 January 2009 11:51 AM

Get your facts right first

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 8424222)

:rolleyes:

You missed the point by about four billion light years i'm afraid - the clue is in the edited post above mine. Peanuts saw the original, hence his post, if you need a further clue ;)

Shame that the cock revelling in that has been owned himself so spectacularly :lol1:

lightning101 15 January 2009 11:53 AM

PMSL at everyone jumping on the bandwagon and making a **** of themselves. :lol1:

TelBoy 15 January 2009 11:54 AM

Entertaining though :D

Gear Head 15 January 2009 11:58 AM

Who is doing all the negitive rating? :rolleyes:

TelBoy 15 January 2009 11:58 AM

Media studies graduates is my guess :lol1:

jacrobat 15 January 2009 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8424187)
A degree in life experience is what my Dad told me :)

Yes but that degree does not put letters after your name or increase your earning potential (on average).

Matteeboy 15 January 2009 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemada (Post 8424142)

Funniest thing is that pretty much no "proper" surfers give this "degree" a second look.
All Bay Window/Beetle owning long haired wannabees that ride longboards and smoke dope to look cool.

markr1963 15 January 2009 12:03 PM

How do Open Univeristy degrees fair with prospective employers these days? IT degrees for example.

Dedrater 15 January 2009 01:21 PM

I agree with the three types of Degree worth having, but would also include Computer Science in that. There are several hundred jobs for anyone who has MSc/MPhil in this area at the minute.