ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2005 wrx modifications (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/738338-2005-wrx-modifications.html)

2005wrx 13 January 2009 10:40 PM

2005 wrx modifications

Hi all what mods can i do with this car to give it more power am not looking into too much money but some things i can do to give it more power the car is completely standard

Boro 13 January 2009 10:42 PM

Decat and/or remap.

555Rob555 13 January 2009 10:44 PM

A decat exhaust system, panel filter and Ecutek remap by a good tuner, will be less than a grand and see 270-280bhp.
Don't forget to do something to the brakes and suspenders first though!

2005wrx 13 January 2009 10:45 PM

Cheers Boro i have looked at scoobyworld think i will get a induction kit and decat downpipe and backbox just looking what they have on there

2005wrx 13 January 2009 10:47 PM

What about a chip or is this a bad idea?

Boro 13 January 2009 10:50 PM

As Rob said, i wouldnt worry about an induction kit unless you get a full cold air feed jobby. Just a decent panel filter for your standard airbox will see you right.

A chip? Not a fleabay chip, no.

Get a ecutek remap from one of the mappers on here for biggest gains.

2005wrx 13 January 2009 11:08 PM

Cheers guys for your advice

WRX_SWRT 13 January 2009 11:10 PM

take a look at view my scooby she was pretty brutal with that setup Greig

Mark'sWRX 14 January 2009 12:36 PM

I've modded my 05 WRX without spending silly money. The best start is, as said, exhaust and remap. Start by removing the 2nd downpipe cat, the backbox and maybe the centre pipe (for a bit more noise), then remap. You should get an extra 40-50bhp.

Don't bother with an induction kit. The standard airbox is better than one unless you are running supercar power. A performance panel filter is ok but don't expect huge gains.

A remap is a bit like chipping except is uses the car's original ECU which is well up to the job, so leave chipping to the boy racers in their crappy cars.

The biggest gain per £ for me was replacing the rear anti-roll bar and drop links. For around £150, the car handles so much better.

BoozyDave 14 January 2009 08:48 PM

i've also got an 05 wrx, have you got a link to the decat pipe? and the anti roll bar?

is it worth while changing the fuel pump before a remap? been recommended a walbro for about £80

supa 14 January 2009 10:59 PM

In my view either decat downpipe or if you like it to pass mot use a prodrive or similar sports cat which can be found on here or on ebay, and similar rest of exhaust then filter and remap inc fuel pump,

jnessling 15 January 2009 08:52 AM

I too have a standard 2005 wrx wagon, really wanted a nicer rumble so was considering a milltek rear box and center section hooking up to standard subaru downpipe and a new k&n panel filter

Just wondering if it would be safe to run this setup without any other mods

Jas

Norman Dog 15 January 2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2005wrx (Post 8422430)
Hi all what mods can i do with this car to give it more power am not looking into too much money but some things i can do to give it more power the car is completely standard

View my Scooby, whole lot cost no more than around £1200 :)

Originally Posted by jnessling (Post 8425941)
I too have a standard 2005 wrx wagon, really wanted a nicer rumble so was considering a milltek rear box and center section hooking up to standard subaru downpipe and a new k&n panel filter

Just wondering if it would be safe to run this setup without any other mods

Jas

Depends if you are removing any of the cats as well, before remapping I ran mine with just a Prodrive sports cat for about 4 months, got a couple of CEL lights reporting cat below efficiency, no other issues. Car felt a lot quicker too.

Scoobydudey 15 January 2009 04:49 PM

Im going down the same route now with an 05 WRX Wagon after speaking to scoobyworld and others, as it sits I bought a induction kit used it and then sold it on ebay went back the the airbox and green cotton filter full decat system (which can be used without an immediate remap with no engine damage) walbro pump,
without the remap they say about 30-35bhp increase
with the remap 60-70 but with more drivability and torque to boot
so that will be nice according to 2 respected mappers 300 bhp isnt too hard to come by from a WRX ??? and it wont cost a fortune!!!
remaps quoted £500 + VAT so thats not the cheapest part but it seems the most worthwhile

Norman Dog 15 January 2009 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobydudey (Post 8427174)
300 bhp isnt too hard to come by from a WRX ??? and it wont cost a fortune!!!

Not hard, but you wont get 300BHP from the standard turbo/injectors/intercooler.

Mark'sWRX 15 January 2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by boozydave (Post 8424982)
i've also got an 05 wrx, have you got a link to the decat pipe? and the anti roll bar?

is it worth while changing the fuel pump before a remap? been recommended a walbro for about £80

This is the 2nd decat pipe: Impreza Turbo 2001-2005 New Age : Subaru Impreza Afterburner Cat Pipe Cat-Pipe

Can be fitted without a remap, but will only give you 5-10bhp.

This is the centre pipe for more noise: Impreza Turbo 2001-2005 New Age : Subaru Impreza Afterburner Stainless Steel Centre Section

Take your pick from back boxes. They make the biggest difference when it comes to noise.

This is the anti-roll bar: Scoobyparts Ltd WHITELINE UPRATED ANTI-ROLL BARS (NEW AGE)

And drop links: Scoobyparts Ltd WHITELINE UPRATED REAR 'WIRE' DROP LINKS
(alloy ones are also available for a few more £. They do the same job, but look nicer if you spend a lot of time looking under the rear of your car!)

The standard fuel pump is good for up to around 300bhp, a nicely modded WRX will be 280-290bhp, so a Walbro is advisable but not imperative.

BoozyDave 15 January 2009 08:25 PM

thanks for the links
is the anti roll bar easy to fit?
did you fit poly bushes?

Mark'sWRX 16 January 2009 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by boozydave (Post 8427803)
thanks for the links
is the anti roll bar easy to fit?
did you fit poly bushes?

I didn't fit the ARB myself as where I bought it only charged a few quid to fit.

Others have said its easy (about 30mins - 1 hr) if you know what to do.

The poly bushes come with the kit.

BoozyDave 16 January 2009 07:40 PM

do you know any part numbers for this model?

eg, turbo, engine? i keep hearing vf25 turbo and gc8 engine but don't know what the 05 wrx is.

Mark'sWRX 16 January 2009 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by boozydave (Post 8430580)
do you know any part numbers for this model?

eg, turbo, engine? i keep hearing vf25 turbo and gc8 engine but don't know what the 05 wrx is.

As far as I know:

The turbo is a TD04 which is only good for around 290bhp. To get more you need a VF turbo and there are lots of variations.

The engine is a EJ20. GC8 is the chassis code.

BoozyDave 16 January 2009 08:47 PM

cheers :thumb: