ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Annoying parking by the neighbours (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/738235-annoying-parking-by-the-neighbours.html)

bob r 13 January 2009 04:34 PM

Annoying parking by the neighbours

I posted a few weeks ago about my next door neighbours inconsiderate parking, making it difficult to get on/off my driveway.
I actually get on with them and they are decent people but they are inconsiderate when it comes to parking their cars.

Well on Christmas day, of all days I was expectig my parents for dinner and on looking outside I could see a car parked ridiculously blocking my drive. There was no way my dad would have got his car past and onto the driveway.
I stewed over it for a few minutes but then thought I would have to say something.
I knocked on, and politely pointed out the problem to which I was told
"the other neighbours are out all day. Your dad can park on their drive":brickwall
After a bit or reasoning they agreed to put their car on the other neighbours drive.:rolleyes:

The day after that another car was parked inconsideratley so I put a polite notice on the windscreen. I was p!ssed off by this stage so I bought a sign for my gates, which I proudly hung for all to see.:) This would work!

Has the sign worked?....................NO! The cheeky B*****ds continue to park, partially blocking my driveway. And yes they could park elsewhere but they must surely be doing it to wind me up now.

I just can't see my next option without having a slanging match with them.

Rant over.

Jamz3k 13 January 2009 04:46 PM

sh-it on their garden.

Jamescsti 13 January 2009 04:50 PM

One of our neighbours has a drivewa she never uses, nothing wrong with it, and it's alwways clear, she insists parking outside others houses on te roadside instead. Thinking I might start parking on her drive?

James Neill 13 January 2009 04:52 PM

You need to keep up the pressure without being rude. Keep a diary and if it escalates you can approach the council with your record of events. If nothing else I'd say it's anti-social. Keep your cool though.

Semper 13 January 2009 04:52 PM

I understand that you have no rights on the road outside, but to be honest I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut. I'd have to go out and have a word and make it clear in no uncertain terms that it's unacceptable. Either that or every time you can't get on or off your drive go and pester them to move. They'll sharp get sick of you knocking on the door. Or post dog ****e through their letterbox.

bob r 13 January 2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigJay (Post 8421124)
sh-it on their garden.

Their dog actually crapped on my garden previously.

stevebt 13 January 2009 04:56 PM

My neighbours do that so I just join in the fun and park the same way they do :D I couldn't care less if it bothers them as I just like being petty :D:D

bob r 13 January 2009 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Semper (Post 8421142)
I understand that you have no rights on the road outside, but to be honest I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut. I'd have to go out and have a word and make it clear in no uncertain terms that it's unacceptable. Either that or every time you can't get on or off your drive go and pester them to move. They'll sharp get sick of you knocking on the door. Or post dog ****e through their letterbox.

Thing is, I can get on/off the drive, but it's akward. It's just damn f**king annoying now.
I do have rights but I don't want the authorities involved. A £30 fine for obstruction would probably cure the parking issue but ruin our relationship.

stevebt 13 January 2009 05:01 PM

Buy a cheap car and park it on thier drive making sure it has no comeback to you. The police won't shift the car as its on private land and they can't get t off without dumping the car :D then always park your car on the roadside :D You can have weeks of fun being awkward :D:D

bob r 13 January 2009 05:03 PM

:lol:
Good idea Steve, but not my style.

Matteeboy 13 January 2009 05:04 PM

You could move here maybe?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2226/...8d3344.jpg?v=0

Loads of parking spaces.

Snazy 13 January 2009 05:08 PM

My neighbours annoy me too, not cos they block my drive, but they cant park a car consideratly. i.e in one space, leaving room for others.
Has eaten away at me for years, does not affect me in any way really, apart from when friends visit, and have to park right up the road thanks to everyone spacing out beyond belief.

Jamz3k 13 January 2009 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 8421152)
My neighbours do that so I just join in the fun and park the same way they do :D I couldn't care less if it bothers them as I just like being petty :D:D

i've also been having problems with my new neighbours and i also became petty the other evening by parking my car infront of their house taking up enough space for their two cars. needless to say my parking space as been left empty since:thumb:

Underworld 13 January 2009 05:19 PM

block his driveway u too:norty: :norty: ... job done!!! if he rings ur bell, tell him ur looking for the keys and cant find them:lol:

ive got parking spaces for the residents over here , but that dsnt seem to work as well...
i try to park in a corner, and as close to the kerb as i can, so that there;s enough space for me and other idiots not to bang their doors on mine...

one lady.. whenever she parks next to me, her whole wheel is on my bay... and i got less than half a metre to open the door and get myself in:mad: :mad:

last time i gave her a taste of her own medecine, and looked from the windows as she got in her car from her passenger door, then moved to the drivers seat with great difficulty.... :lol: :lol: :lol: now that made my day,

Freak 13 January 2009 05:39 PM

Bint over the road used to do this- and her mates when they came round .
Solution?
Park your car in front of theirs- about 1mm from their bumper.
Then get your mrs car (or a mates if your mrs doesnt have one) and park it 1mm from their rear bumper.
Then go inside....and wait....

Took 3 instances of me doing this every time they parked there to fix it- hasnt been a problem since :D

works especially well first thing in the morning when they need the car to go to work...

ScoobyDriverWannabe 13 January 2009 05:49 PM

:( always have a nightmare getting the car on & off my drive.

Bloke apposite has about 3 vans aswell as the odd truck/lorry, him & his wife have a mobility car each, he also usually has a few extra cars from the auctions he buys & sells. Wouldn't be so bad if he parked them a little further down the road, the old woman next door to him barely even lives in the house & doesn't have a car.

The arse next door to me insists on parking his car halfway across my driveway. He wont park it a little further up outside his house as it blocks sunlight entering the front window. He wont park on his drive way because it doesn't face towards Mecca.

hutton_d 13 January 2009 05:57 PM

Not neighbours but people parking inconsiderately. Used to live in a flat and had an allocated space - with the flat number painted in the space. The flat was also very near to town so you used to get people parking up to save the car park charges. Anyhow, chap had parked up one day when I returned. So I parked up about an inch from his bumper - in such a way that others could still get by. Bear in mind that this is also around the back of the block so you have to know the allocated spaces are there. In front of the space was a wall so this guy wasn't going anywhere.

A little while later my buzzer goes.
'Hey mate, I think you're blocking me in'.
'Really, so why did you park in my space then?'.
'Sorry, didn't know it was yours'.
'How did you know which button to press then ..?'.
'Ummm ........'.
'I'll be down after I've finished my lunch ...'

About 30 mins later I went down and got the car out of his way so he could go. Boy, did the girlie in the passenger seat look p^ssed off! And not with me either .... Never saw him again anyway.

Some people just need a lesson in consideration. Even if they're not being deliberately obstructive - just dozy. A lesson learned is usually more easily remembered ....

Dave

Underworld 13 January 2009 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe (Post 8421327)
He wont park it a little further op outside his house as it blocks sunlight entering the front window.

u park urs in front of his house then.... if he wants sunlight, he can go to Sahara / North Africa:hjtwofing

Boro 13 January 2009 06:13 PM

Putting notes on the windscreen will probably ruffle their feathers and end up making the situation worse. An old neighbour stuck one on my car once saying something like "Please dont park in my space, number 46". I kept the note and one day saw their car in my space, so crossed out 46 and put our number and stuck it on their car". Made me feel better, but doesnt really solve anything.

Best to keep knocking on their door and asking politely, they will get fed up of the door knocking in the end. Maybe say something like, "Im worried one day i will accidentally clip your car and cause some damage". Be genuine about it tho.

If it continues... accidentally (on purpose) clip their car and tell them you told them so.

Be smart!

steve nic 13 January 2009 07:38 PM

aparantly the police can fine upto £70 form obstruction of a drive £100 in london aparantly.i saw a report about it on bbc1 this year:idea:

moff1888 13 January 2009 08:11 PM

I have an allocated space too and thus far haven't had any problems, somone parked in it once but luckily they moved just before I came back. I have great piece of mind of not being hit by anything as there is no space behind mine and the Skyline infront of me hasn't moved for months and months.

I'll update if anything bad happens lol.

c-o-l-e 13 January 2009 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by bob r (Post 8421153)
Thing is, I can get on/off the drive, but it's akward. It's just damn f**king annoying now.
I do have rights but I don't want the authorities involved. A £30 fine for obstruction would probably cure the parking issue but ruin our relationship.

The fact that they block you in shows that you don't have a polite relationship with them.

I myself have had the same problems...

The guy in the flat below me blocked my car in for a few weeks, I didn't even know the car blocking me in was his and he ignored every note I left on his windscreen.
I eventually found out it was him, his response was "I didn't think you used the car because it's always on the drive".
He didn't block me in any more after I told him "It's a good thing I found out it was you, I was about to put all the windows through and push it out of the way".

When I got my scooby I decided to keep my old Micra too and use that to block myself in.
On one occasion I came home to find my drive blocked and my Micra blocked against another car, so I blocked that car in with my scooby and watched the fun on CCTV.

I would suggest getting CCTV signs, try and get the police or council to do something and if all fails start getting nasty.
If their car becomes damaged be sure to be a helpful neighbor and report it to the police, but be sure to tell them that the damage occured off/out of bounds of their property (to possibly invalidate their insurance).

StickyMicky 13 January 2009 11:12 PM

i have allocated space, had the off few problems in the past but it was all sorted within around 6 months and never had a problem in the following 3 years, you just need to know how to aproach these people ;)

fwiw my allocated space is one you really need to reverse into, as you can not get your drivers door open otherwise due to a wall :lol1:

the only way to reverse in as reverse up the full car park, i assume most people can not be arsed to do this at the best of times but i have done it that many times now i can whip it straight in without an issue!

did have to leave a few notes in the early days, one of them left the note back under my windscreen saying they were sorry but somebody was in their space, and that nobody has ever bothered getting in the correct space.

well a few years on, and everybody uses the correct one now, i assume i ruffled some feathers and now everybody is behaving lol

parking problems are only going to get bigger and bigger as more and more cars get on the roads, the reason why i selected this place to live, was because i knew it had allocated parking included, so expect my wrath if you steal my space :D

i could not be arsed to live in a terraced street where everybody fights for spaces, the missus lived in one for a year while she was a student and its just a **** way to live if you have a nice car, to many spackers bumping about and parking like clowns

bob r 13 January 2009 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by c-o-l-e (Post 8422094)
The fact that they block you in shows that you don't have a polite relationship with them.

Wrong.

They never block me in or out for that matter. They just make it very akward to drive on and off. And I do have a good and polite relationship with them as I said earlier. They are just inconsiderate..................

c-o-l-e 13 January 2009 11:56 PM

I didn't think polite and inconsiderate would go together.

Well on Christmas day, of all days I was expectig my parents for dinner and on looking outside I could see a car parked ridiculously blocking my drive.

renny 14 January 2009 12:12 AM

Had the same with neighbours of mine.

They have 4 cars parked on their drive and whenever anyone visited they used to park over towards our drive making it very awkward at times.

I'm the same as you,i consider myself to get on with them but they are just plain ignorant / inconsiderate when it comes to parking.To be fair it's thje teenagers that seem to be the main culprits and i find it very hard to keep my cool.I just bottle it up instead.

I have however politely put my point over about the parking to the adults of the family and that has made things better.Not perfect as there are still times when they p!ss me off but it has improved.

austinwrx 14 January 2009 09:51 AM

well my house and a few others are accessed by a private drive.

one inconsiderate neighbour parks badly - because her crappy micra was stolen some yrs ago. replaced with another crappy micra.

she also insists in always going forwards- you can reverse out too------- despite comments of " what yr car doesn't have a reverse gear ??"

makes it awkward for those of us with bigger cars, including trailers-- or like me when I had a camper van in the past.

fortunately less considerate workmen, or friends in works vans, driving down the side of her car have sorted things out.

I particular highlight was dragging a car trailer all down the side of it.

her part time boyfriend challenged my neighbour once---- a 6' 3" rugby player of 25 years now. not a fat rugby player I hasten to add- but player of the year/captain- all star player.

what a silly move !!!!!!!!! my how we laughed as he turned on his heel and ran back in the house.

ronjeramy 14 January 2009 01:09 PM

I live in a small cul-de-sac and ever Fokker seems fit to park in the space oposite my house, and depending on how the vehicle or the number of vehicles parked there, it can make it difficult to get in or out. Now my gripe is it's sometimes comercial vehicles upto a 7.5 ton, which I think is illigal in residential area?

Leslie 14 January 2009 01:49 PM

I am not sure but I thought that if you have an official entrance to your house with a drive and a let down to the kerb in front of your drive, that it is an offence to cause an obstruction by blocking it.

Les

renny 14 January 2009 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8423792)
I am not sure but I thought that if you have an official entrance to your house with a drive and a let down to the kerb in front of your drive, that it is an offence to cause an obstruction by blocking it.

Les

I too think this is true and i seem to believe there was a statement recently by someone in higher places that there is going to be more of a clampdown.

I think the OP has stated this also but he doesn't really want to fall out over this.The other thing is who do you call to enforce this law?

Council or Police - neither are going to be that interested if you ask me.Unfortuneately for some,me included - we live on unadopted new housing estates so that confuses things further if it's the Council's responsibility.:confused: