ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Plasma TV's to be banned??? (this is getting ridiculous) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/738217-plasma-tvs-to-be-banned-this-is-getting-ridiculous.html)

BuRR 13 January 2009 02:49 PM

Plasma TV's to be banned??? (this is getting ridiculous)

Sorry if this is a repost, but I was astonished when I read this:

----------------
Plasma TVs to be banned in Europe- The Inquirer
----------------

THE EU is mulling over a plan to kill off plasma televisions across Europe because they burn too much power.

According to reports in the Roman press, the EU might make a ruling on the technology in spring.

Commissioners are about to release new guidelines on the consumption of television screens. While LCD screens scrape through the new requirements, the power hungry plasma screens just eat far too much juice.

A 42-inch Plasma TV consumes 822 watts of electricity in comparison with 350 watts of a flat screen LCD and 322 watts of a cathode ray tube.

Among the plans is to put a system of labels on televisions so that punters will know how much they are going to consume. This has been done for some time with fridges and other appliances, but not for TVs.

Unless the television manufacturers work their way around the problem, it is fairly likely that plasma televisions could go the way of the VHS machine in the EU.

Most of the television companies have a half-hearted attitude to plasma sets which have lost a lot of ground over the last two years to LCD.

stevie boy 13 January 2009 02:52 PM

enter stage right, plasma tax!

stevie

lozgti 13 January 2009 02:57 PM

Street lights off

Cars that can't get up hills

Lightbulbs that make the house appear pre -war lit

Cancel all planes and holidays

Don't shave ladies armpits

Blooming easy this carbon offset,recycle,save the planet,EU mumbo jumbo.Just take us back 200 years and live in the dark:thumb: Mind you,they will tax the 'dark' to under some EU regulation next:Suspiciou

FlightMan 13 January 2009 03:05 PM

Just wait until the internet is banned as well!!

BBC NEWS | Technology | 'Carbon cost' of Google revealed

corradoboy 13 January 2009 03:17 PM

And cows.....

Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

Burning fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas. And their wind and manure emit more than one third of emissions of another, methane, which warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide.

Cows also soak up vast amounts of water: it takes a staggering 990 litres of water to produce one litre of milk.
Cow ‘emissions’ more damaging to planet than CO2 The Global Warming Hoax

Gear Head 13 January 2009 03:17 PM

But yet the Ice caps are increasing in size? :wonder:

corradoboy 13 January 2009 03:20 PM

Makes you wonder if we're not all being sold a lemon :confused:

Surely governments can't lie to their people :brickwall

cster 13 January 2009 03:25 PM

822W is a bit of a nibble.
I thought they were comparable.
Still go for a plasme though.

AndyC_772 13 January 2009 03:26 PM

That Google article is absolute b*llocks, see Forget Google rationing: Only lighting farts can save the planet ? The Register

Gear Head 13 January 2009 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 8420892)
Makes you wonder if we're not all being sold a lemon :confused:

Surely governments can't lie to their people :brickwall

Doesn't stop people lying to the government to justify their jobs though! :thumb:

SVVG 13 January 2009 03:26 PM

I'm sure I saw something recently re 150w and 100w light bulbs being phased out for similar reasons (I think from Tesco - aparantly the country's seller of the most lightbulbs...) - with plans to phase out the 60w bulb!

Re ice caps expanding - what's that about?

AndyC_772 13 January 2009 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by BuRR (Post 8420820)
A 42-inch Plasma TV consumes 822 watts of electricity in comparison with 350 watts of a flat screen LCD and 322 watts of a cathode ray tube.

This is b*llocks too, I just downloaded the manual for one of the current Panasonic 42" plasmas and it says 395W - less than half the power being claimed :mad:

[edit]: A 50" Pioneer Kuro panel is 395W too...

boxst 13 January 2009 04:06 PM

I thought that LCD TV's were much more power friendly than CRT?

Steve

dpb 13 January 2009 04:08 PM

Nah theyre too flat ,nothing to get hold of :D

corradoboy 13 January 2009 04:17 PM

My 50" Pana says 377w in the manual.

myblackwrx 13 January 2009 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 8421005)
I thought that LCD TV's were much more power friendly than CRT?

Steve

My 32" LCD uses 173W and in the manual mentions 37"(188W) and 42" (210W)
so a lot less then they have said

rabbos 13 January 2009 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 8421035)
My 50" Pana says 377w in the manual.

I think the higher claim is for brightness to the max. Might be wrong though...

Loads of that power will come out as heat - makes feck all difference to your energy bills if you are heating that room too.

JonnyFresh 13 January 2009 06:50 PM

That's the difference with plasma and lcd. An lcd's power consumption is more constant. A plasma tv's varies due to brightness etc.

GC8 13 January 2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 8420842)
Street lights off

Cars that can't get up hills

Lightbulbs that make the house appear pre -war lit

Cancel all planes and holidays

Don't shave ladies armpits

Blooming easy this carbon offset,recycle,save the planet,EU mumbo jumbo.Just take us back 200 years and live in the dark:thumb: Mind you,they will tax the 'dark' to under some EU regulation next:Suspiciou

Whilst China and India increase their outputs of CO2 by such a great amount, that even if we went back to the dark ages; their increase would surpass our saving in a matter of months (probably weeks).....

f1_fan 13 January 2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8421523)
Whilst China and India increase their outputs of CO2 by such a great amount, that even if we went back to the dark ages; their increase would surpass our saving in a matter of months (probably weeks).....

Exactly!!! Spot on!!!

Until they put their house in order the EU can shove their stupid laws up their a**e.

Enjoying driving a decatted Scoob and just purchased a 100 non energy saving light bulbs!!!! :D :D

phil_wrx 13 January 2009 07:24 PM

but china have told the un that it wont start reducing there emmisions until the us and europe reduce theres more !!!!!!

GC8 13 January 2009 07:52 PM

Well, with the current recession, the demand for their rubber dog sh*t will drop: then they wont be so cocky. Why should we suffer to allow the developing world to poison away?

Tam the bam 13 January 2009 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 8421564)
just purchased a 100 non energy saving light bulbs!!!! :D :D

I'll have to stock up on them too before the tossers ban them, those energy saving candles are useless.

ash002004 13 January 2009 08:09 PM

My missus rang up her energy provider asking why recently (when I bought my TV) her bills had gone up and she explained I bought a 40" Tv and the guy on the phone said they're the worst thing ever even on standby the amount of energy they use is shocking!

f1_fan 13 January 2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tam the bam (Post 8421764)
I'll have to stock up on them too before the tossers ban them, those energy saving candles are useless.

Exactly why I bought so many. When I turn a light on I want the room to be lit ... instantly. We're going backwards, it's just stupid :mad:

AndyC_772 13 January 2009 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ash002004 (Post 8421782)
My missus rang up her energy provider asking why recently (when I bought my TV) her bills had gone up and she explained I bought a 40" Tv and the guy on the phone said they're the worst thing ever even on standby the amount of energy they use is shocking!

That's b*llocks too, the two sets I looked up both state a standby power consumption of just 0.4W.

No doubt there are some out there which are worse, but call centre staff making blanket statements like that just goes to show how f**king ignorant they actually are :mad:

Lisawrx 13 January 2009 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tam the bam (Post 8421764)

The 150 and 100w light bulbs have been long gone where I work. The amount of abuse I have had due to that is unreal. The worst thing is, I can totally understand peoples' frustration, but it's not my ****ing fault we stopped selling them. :mad:

Tam the bam 13 January 2009 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 8421862)
The 150 and 100w light bulbs have been long gone where I work. The amount of abuse I have had due to that is unreal. The worst thing is, I can totally understand peoples' frustration, but it's not my ****ing fault we stopped selling them. :mad:

Really??? Jeez this country really has gone :cuckoo: I'm going shopping tomorrow and if I see 100w bulbs, I'll buy the lot :thumb:

ash002004 13 January 2009 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 8421852)
That's b*llocks too, the two sets I looked up both state a standby power consumption of just 0.4W.

No doubt there are some out there which are worse, but call centre staff making blanket statements like that just goes to show how f**king ignorant they actually are :mad:

Maybe....but the facts that since that phonecall and the constant ear-nagging from the missus, I unplug the tv now when not in use, and it's reduced what we've been paying quite substantially :wonder:

f1_fan 13 January 2009 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tam the bam (Post 8421886)
Really??? Jeez this country really has gone :cuckoo: I'm going shopping tomorrow and if I see 100w bulbs, I'll buy the lot :thumb:

I can sell you some, how much you wanna pay? ;) :D :D LOL it'll be bulb wars soon Mad Max stylee ;)