ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Side winds and Scoobys (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/738063-side-winds-and-scoobys.html)

Meallbhan 12 January 2009 09:10 PM

Side winds and Scoobys

I have had my scooby for over a couple of years now and I'm still confused as to why it reacts to side winds the way it does. My brother also has a scooby, a sport wagon, and he says the same.

When driving along on a windy day, the car is very twitchy and hard to keep in a straight line, more so than any other car I have owned or driven. All my suspension is fine as all four corners are brand new. So that rules out buggered shocks.

Is this something to do with the 4 wheel drive, the shape of the car???

Anyone else noticed this. :wonder:

Also, another wee question. Why do scoobys steam up inside to easily? Air isn't on recirc either...

Cheers guys, and gals!

claypole55 12 January 2009 09:13 PM

funny you say that m8,my scooby reacts like i have flat tires when its had a good jet wash!

S3TH 13 January 2009 08:34 AM

Cant say ive noticed any issues in high winds but agree with the steam up comment.

BURTON 13 January 2009 08:57 AM

I find it only does it when gentle cruising if your driving hard it won't do it . (strange). Does steam up easily though

sKunk 13 January 2009 09:12 AM

When I first got my STI I was amazed at how planted it was in high winds, then I got the prodrive geometry settings applied and now it's twitchy in winds like you describe.

[-(o)-] 13 January 2009 12:27 PM

My old UK saloon was bad at this, but my STi spoilered wagon is no where near as bad. I did wonder if it was related to the cars Centre of Gravity being significantly behind the Centre of Pressure (think throwing a dart backwards) but the wagon has shot this theory well out of the water. Both run revised geometry.

Steaming up, both have done it - pillarless doors/rubbish ventilation?

N_Scooby 13 January 2009 01:57 PM

I drove to Cardiff over the new Severn bridge and also over some exposed bridges over valleys and the like, on a wet and windy day. Side winds scared the hell out of me!!! Its the only time I've really noticed it in 4 1/2 years.

Meallbhan 13 January 2009 05:02 PM

Some interesting comments. I'm stumped on what it could be :confused:

Tomski_908 13 January 2009 05:14 PM

:wonder: :wonder: Maybe something to do with the ratio's between the front and rear??

due to not being 50/50???? :wonder:

I don't get that now thanks to TIEN the car is Solid!! :norty: cocks a wheel on curbs :lol1: Looks like a dog :lol1: :lol1:

Mifo 13 January 2009 07:59 PM

I just noticed the side winds the other day whilst driving on a dual carriage way. Very twitchy compared to alot of other cars I have driven.

My theory on the steam is that the pillarless doors let in a little moisture and that makes the steam.

What annoys me is when I switch the blowers on towards the windscreen to clear the steam , the aircon automatically comes on. Not ideal in the middle of winter.

Is this supposed to happen?????

his-n-her-scoobs 13 January 2009 08:15 PM

Think you will find that the moisture will clear quicker with the aircon on, which is why it turns on automatically.

Try it, I didn't believe it either.

FLAT ERIC 13 January 2009 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mifo (Post 8421745)
What annoys me is when I switch the blowers on towards the windscreen to clear the steam , the aircon automatically comes on. Not ideal in the middle of winter.

Is this supposed to happen?????

It's a common misconception that air con is only for use in the summer. It comes on automatically when the heater is set to just the screen because it helps to "suck" the moisture away. That's why some buildings with air con can make your throat sore/dry because of the dehumidifying effect it has.

Mark ;)

Meallbhan 14 January 2009 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs (Post 8421801)
Think you will find that the moisture will clear quicker with the aircon on, which is why it turns on automatically.

Try it, I didn't believe it either.

I'm with you on this one. I was told it turns on automatically so the windscreen is being demisted with dryer air. Seems to work as it demists quicker with it on. Once its demisted I just turn it off.

If scoobys are not 50/50 4 wheel drive, what is the ratio?

Tomski_908 15 January 2009 05:41 AM

It all depends on what gearbox and diff you have!

Some japs are something like 60/40 on the rear guess thats why we don't drive 4x4s their classed as AWD (i maybe wrong but its my understanding and i'm sticking with it!!) :thumb:

Meallbhan 15 January 2009 07:14 PM

As far as I know its the standard UK spec WRX.