ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   FIRE spontaneus combustion (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/737874-fire-spontaneus-combustion.html)

Sonicaz 12 January 2009 04:48 AM

FIRE spontaneus combustion

I'm new to the forum and am looking for feedback. My once loved 2008 STI Spontaneusly combusted in my driveway last night. It seemed to be an electrical fire that started in the dash/steering colum. Has anyone else had thier late model subie catch fire? I'm calling Subaru and my dealer tommorrow. This was not the oil line recall issue. I did read about a similar problem with some 06 models.

Thanks for any feedback.......

TonyBurns 12 January 2009 05:04 AM

Damn feel for you :( but i have not heard of any other cases of MY08 cars just going up in flames, and the warranty should cover it if its a defect :)

Tony:)

Sonicaz 12 January 2009 05:30 AM

Calling Subaru Tommorrow. Pics with link....

photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1JmZao!iR2CwxoEz9SYd0DUbik 2ENZ8JTYCLRjIoD6wEObMwNeRTPOG9P74aabYJEVzuDEeb0t75 Q%24%24>

lordretsudo 12 January 2009 05:48 AM

Holy $hit! What a nightmare. There was a thread on here not long ago (1-2 months?) about a Subaru catching fire on the drive, though the damage wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours. I can't remember if it was a 'new style' car, but I don't think it was... I'd do a search if I wasn't too stingy to pay up for membership!

Sonicaz 12 January 2009 05:52 AM

Membership?

gpssti4 12 January 2009 06:07 AM

Yes, currently to use the search function on Scoobynet, you have to become a paid-up member.

Ciaran 12 January 2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by gpssti4 (Post 8417262)
Yes, currently to use the search function on Scoobynet, you have to become a paid-up member.

No u don't im not paid up.

barrybudden 12 January 2009 01:36 PM

I have a MY05 STi it was recalled to replace a part, if I remember correctly they told me a couple of cars inJapan had went up in flames.

Sorry to hear about your motor.

M444GY 13 January 2009 09:30 PM

cant see the pic mate . u must be gutted . ive heard of other cars doing this but not subaru :(

Chris.B 13 January 2009 09:37 PM

Jesus Christ!!!

That's a bad un.

Tomski_908 14 January 2009 08:16 AM

Link not working mate hope NO one was hurt (lets face it thats the main thing), Sure Subaru will sort it out under warrenty, you didn't fit anything aftermarket to it, did you?

Gutted for you mate first i've heard of this but seems to be happening a lot on newer cars and Taxi's

Hope all goes well!!

Connor_scotland 14 January 2009 08:30 AM

Thats terrible mate

Hope you get it sorted

wrighty338 14 January 2009 10:13 AM

gobsmacked and gutted for you:eek2:

ALi-B 14 January 2009 10:45 AM

It seemed to be an electrical fire that started in the dash/steering colum.
Dash steering column? Usually that points to a bodged alarm/immobilser/ICE/gauges/remote start install :(

Common area for wiring modifications, and also an area where unsecured wires (from being messed with) get chaffed against metal parts of the steering column/pedal box.

But with the car being so new I doubt its something like that. Unless the UK cars still have retro-fit alarms/immobilsers (fitted after the car is built), usually they are quite good, as the cabling is properly connected insulated and secured, but maybe they cocked up with securing the wires on ths one?