ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   quick help needed how far can i drive on a tyre save (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/737845-quick-help-needed-how-far-can-i-drive-on-a-tyre-save.html)

vallumlj 11 January 2009 10:31 PM

quick help needed how far can i drive on a tyre save

i have to go for a job interview tomorrow and i got a nail in my tyre tonight so i have fitted the tyre save on my vauxhall

i need to drive 200 miles will it make it.

what s the maxium i can drive on one

thanks

SwissTony 11 January 2009 10:34 PM

If it is a space saver then you can drive for ages BUT at only 50 mph tops

It should say so on the side of the wheel (usually in k/m)

pimmo2000 11 January 2009 10:34 PM

Yeah, its speed more than distance

vallumlj 11 January 2009 10:37 PM

so if i drove 70 would it burn out a lot quicker. How many miles do u think would be save

SwissTony 11 January 2009 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by vallumlj (Post 8416921)
so if i drove 70 would it burn out a lot quicker. How many miles do u think would be save

If you value your car, dont drive over the limit set on the wheel. If you have an interview, then roughly calculate how long it would take at normal speeds, reduce it and then set off earlier

pimmo2000 11 January 2009 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by vallumlj (Post 8416921)

As said mate, if you drive above the speed on the wheel, it can break apart !

sti-04!! 11 January 2009 10:43 PM

199 miles.

little-ginge 11 January 2009 10:45 PM

extremely dodgy to drive any real distance on one of those space saver wheels... don't forget it not just how long they last for which you have to think of.
They affect overall grip and stability - especially when cornerning and should only be used to get you to the nearest tyre fitter.

gpssti4 12 January 2009 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by little-ginge (Post 8416950)
extremely dodgy to drive any real distance on one of those space saver wheels... don't forget it not just how long they last for which you have to think of.
They affect overall grip and stability - especially when cornerning and should only be used to get you to the nearest tyre fitter.

Agreed.

I once had a R33 GTT try to play on the M40. He was behind me and sliding all over the place! I let him by to see him race off at 90+ with a space saver on the back. :cuckoo: Totally unsafe, I expect he was in the crash barrier a few miles up the road as he could hardly keep it in a straight line.

GC8 12 January 2009 08:20 AM

Ive driven halfway across France and back to Derbyshire on a spacesaver. Its a normal tyre with a suitable load rating, so why every would it 'burn out'?

Jamo 12 January 2009 08:22 AM

I was just about to say the same simon :D

GC8 12 January 2009 08:54 AM

We went a good deal over 55mph/90kph! Also, the car sat on that spacesaver for almost a year and was then driven another 500+ miles before new tyres were fitted.

TopBanana 12 January 2009 09:01 AM

The speed rating should be on the side of the tyre.

lightning101 12 January 2009 09:05 AM

What is the law regarding running a car on spares ?

I mean the law states that you must carry a spare. So what happens when you use the spare ? Are you limited to a certain amount of miles, as you no longer have a spare ? :)

GC8 12 January 2009 09:07 AM

Which law requires that you carry a spare?

lightning101 12 January 2009 09:08 AM

Actually, you're quite correct. :)

Coffin Dodger 12 January 2009 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by lightning101 (Post 8417402)
What is the law regarding running a car on spares ?

I mean the law states that you must carry a spare. So what happens when you use the spare ? Are you limited to a certain amount of miles, as you no longer have a spare ? :)

There's no law to say you must carry a spare. Some BMWs have run flat tyres and as a result have no spare.

Bizarrely if you are carrying one it must be in good condition / road legal and would fail your an MoT if it wasn't however if you put it in for a MoT without the spare in the car it will pass.

lightning101 12 January 2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 8417412)
There's no law to say you must carry a spare. Some BMWs have run flat tyres and as a result have no spare.

Bizarrely if you are carrying one it must be in good condition / road legal and would fail your an MoT if it wasn't however if you put it in for a MoT without the spare in the car it will pass.

No legal requirement whilst not in use apparently :freak3:

In the Britain, carrying a spare tyre is not a legal requirement. Whilst a spare tyre is not being used and is stowed away there is also no legal requirement for it to comply with normal tyre . If a wheel or tyre needs changing, for instance if a puncture occurs, and the spare tyre is fitted, then it must comply by
http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/l...rey_loader.gif

GC8 12 January 2009 09:15 AM

Why do people repeat rubbish like this? In a minute youll be having me believe that no tax will invalidate my insurance or that undertaking is illegal.....

lightning101 12 January 2009 09:17 AM

I was hoping to get three pages out of my question simon :mad:

Spoilsport :lol1:

GC8 12 January 2009 09:18 AM

Sorry: I was criticising post #17 there...

speedking 12 January 2009 10:29 AM

Technically you can drive on it as far as you like so long as it has a legal amount of tread.

Practically, you will die of boredom long before that point is reached.

Leslie 12 January 2009 10:35 AM

If you drive at the recommended speed it should should last the distance. If you drive at 70 you may need the recovery services to get you home.

Les

Odds on 12 January 2009 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8417335)
Ive driven halfway across France and back to Derbyshire on a spacesaver. Its a normal tyre with a suitable load rating, so why every would it 'burn out'?

It wont burn out. The speed limit is probably there in case something happens in front of you. I wouldn't like to swerve at high speeds with a wheel that skinny on my car. I doubt the car would respond that well!

GC8 12 January 2009 11:00 AM

Control is indeed the issue.

ALi-B 12 January 2009 11:33 AM

Load/speed rating I think is the main issue: What happens to a T-rated tyre (110mph) if you drive constantly at 150mph....it will eventually tear itself apart and you have a blow out.

Space saver tyres are usually rated at M which is 80mph max. HOWEVER, they also have reduced load index ratings (around 99), which means they cannot sustain their max speed under heavy loadings (which is why they have 60psi in them). This means that the vehicle's weight will reduce the max speed capability of the tyre.

Note that some cars have standard spare wheels (notably older BMWs), but are a smaller diameter and narrower wheel with a normal standard profile tyre (but different to the normal wheels), these rarely have any max speed warnings (barring the physical rating on the tyre). So if it was just about handling and control, these tyres would also have warning stickers.

In the end of the day the max speed label on the wheel is for safety. If the manufacturer thought it was safer to go faster, it would say so. ;) Maximum distance at this rated speed (56mph), should in theory be indefinite.

Also bear in mind the words "temporary use". It is against the law to have a vehicle with two different size tyres/wheels on the same axle. So you may get a defect notice if you get stopped by plod (a defect notice is to make sure your not driving round on it all the time, and lie about its "temporary usage")..

joey_turbo 12 January 2009 11:39 AM

Make sure you put it on the rear. I've seen plenty of idiots with them on the front.

bugeyeandy 12 January 2009 11:41 AM

Having had to drive on a space saver i'd say the 50mph limit is for handling safety more than for it blowing apart. They don't have much grip and depending where it's fitted you might get some funny handling.
It'll be ok to drive if you're desperate but much better to get it replaced after your interview before you drive it back.

SwissTony 12 January 2009 02:11 PM

so basically I answered the question by post 2 :D

bugeyeandy 12 January 2009 02:34 PM

Yep :thumb: