ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Which is lighter WRX or UK impreza. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/737288-which-is-lighter-wrx-or-uk-impreza.html)

IRC450STI 09 January 2009 06:30 PM

Which is lighter WRX or UK impreza.

:confused: Can anyone tell me Which is lighter, classic WRX or UK Impreza :wonder: im thinking WRX must be surely as i have felt the difference between bonnets & doors etc

Cheers :thumb:

Underworld 09 January 2009 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by IRC450STI (Post 8410611)
:confused: Can anyone tell me Which is lighter, classic WRX or UK Impreza :wonder: im thinking WRX must be surely as i have felt the difference between bonnets & doors etc

Cheers :thumb:

my RA:hjtwofing

stevebt 09 January 2009 06:33 PM

The UK impreza is the lightest of all the early shaped imprezas, even the RA ;)

Underworld 09 January 2009 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 8410630)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GC8 09 January 2009 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Underworld (Post 8410620)
my RA:hjtwofing

Dont kid yourself. Most Type-RAs are only a couple of kilos lighter than the WRX model and the UK will be lighter than them all.

ALi-B 09 January 2009 07:03 PM

The difference between a UK classic and WRX classic is not much at all;

Differences between most classic shape models is probably less than the weight of half a tank of fuel.

The main differences were between models years of both versions (later cars had heavier brakes, not sure when side impact re-inforcemnt was added to the doors either - if at all). I also wonder if the farmer's tweed seats were lighter or heavier too (does anyone still have a early UK scoob fitted with those ghastly seats?).

Silver Scooby Sport 09 January 2009 07:12 PM

Don't forget uk classics have steel bonnets..... I know the type-r etc have alloy one's but what about the wrx's ?

Folding down rear seats as well on a uk the imports have the foam rear.
Only uk exeptions as far as I am aware is the P1 and the RB5 as the RB5 IIRC used a jap body shell for the build.

KINGTIGER 09 January 2009 07:48 PM

What about a Import 99 STI how light are they compared to others

rossyboy 09 January 2009 08:00 PM

Why is the UK model lighter than the WRX? First I've heard of it in the 5 years of being on here. More equipment maybe?

GlesgaKiss 09 January 2009 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport (Post 8410736)
Don't forget uk classics have steel bonnets..... I know the type-r etc have alloy one's but what about the wrx's ?

Folding down rear seats as well on a uk the imports have the foam rear.
Only uk exeptions as far as I am aware is the P1 and the RB5 as the RB5 IIRC used a jap body shell for the build.

My Terzo is a UK car - just a tarted up UK turbo as far as I'm aware - and it has foam rear seats. Could easily lift them with one finger!

T5OLF 09 January 2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 8410630)

What parts are lighter on early Uk car compared to an early RA to make it weigh less?

I'm trying to get mine down to 1000kg and I'm running out of idea's other than plastic windows and stripping doors out.

stevebt 09 January 2009 08:24 PM

I have no idea what makes them lighter. I just know when I had mine and you look at making them lighter its the only advantage the UK impreza has on all the other cars :D

jonny_693 09 January 2009 08:47 PM

WRX has Aluminium bonnet and wishbones but add on the rear wiper and aircon and there's probably nowt in it.

T5OLF 09 January 2009 08:50 PM

No rear wiper or aircon on mine. I just can't see how the Uk car can be lighter than the RA.

GC8 09 January 2009 08:58 PM

Yours is the exception to the rule then. Virtually every Type-RA has simple aircon at the least.

T5OLF 09 January 2009 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8411115)
Yours is the exception to the rule then. Virtually every Type-RA has simple aircon at the least.

Mines in the bin along with the stereo and speakers :)

Flib 09 January 2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8411115)

Mine used to have :lol:

DazW 09 January 2009 09:09 PM

A true STi RA (i.e no Aircon, Leccy windows, central locking etc etc) should be 1150kg iirc ...mainly due to the above, but also due to ally wishbones, ally bonnet & reduced sound deadening ...UK 2000 Turbo was/is 1215Kg again iirc

GC8 09 January 2009 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 8411134)
Mines in the bin along with the stereo and speakers :)

Ive ditched the stereo, speakers, sound deadening, carpet, load deck carpet, spare wheel, tools, oem seats, rear seats, heavy steering wheel, door cards, window regulators, glass hatch, glass windows, motorised hatch opener and steel bonnet on my car. I now have tinnitus.....

T5OLF 09 January 2009 09:52 PM

Yeah know what you mean, I have to use ear plugs each time I go out. The lack of carpets etc makes for a noisy old bus. My next line of attack is removing the steel insert from the front bumper and then I'm out of idea's really. I would like to see 1000kg next time I go on the weigh bridge.

GC8 09 January 2009 10:07 PM

Ive re-fitted the rear squab, which weighs chuff-all, to quiten down the transaxle a little. Now that the exhaust is the loudeest thing again its not too bad.

This isnt on my 'Wagon, obviously.

Simon

WRX marv 10 January 2009 02:49 AM

my 94 wrx has a alloy bonnet,no abs & no air con (ripped it out:lol1: )....& after engine rebuild i only used half the nuts & bolts lol....so quite a lot of weight saving lol:norty:

EddScott 10 January 2009 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport (Post 8410736)
and the RB5 as the RB5 IIRC used a jap body shell for the build.

I said this recently and got quite a curt response from somebody on here.

I was under the impression RB5s were JDM shells but this chap said that the rear bulkhead brace was added by Prodrive to UK cars.

scooby1doo1 10 January 2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by WRX marv (Post 8411753)
After engine rebuild i only used half the nuts & bolts lol....so quite a lot of weight saving lol:norty:

:lol: ,:lol: ,:lol: ,:lol: ,:lol: ,:lol: ,:lol: ,:luxhello:

Scoobybits 10 January 2009 01:12 PM

There was a uk built car in our workshop they other day just under 1000 kgs,aircon working,etc..just about 480bhp 6 speed..
Mind u it was not an impreza body shell they used!
:) Welcome to Adrenaline Motor Sport

Aiming for bout 1100kg with my sti ra:)

IRC450STI 10 January 2009 01:26 PM

My mate had the uk impreza and it felt alot heavier than mine when pushing it and the bonnet weighed a ton, uk seats feel heavier also, the panels on mine feel really thin and doors feel light also bootlid is light to :wonder: so i guess the weight of a WRX is around about 1200kg :wonder:
Alot of different opinions on here :confused:

Anyone know where the nearest weigh bridge is to pontifract :D

sKunk 10 January 2009 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8411226)
Ive ditched the stereo, speakers, sound deadening, carpet, load deck carpet, spare wheel, tools, oem seats, rear seats, heavy steering wheel, door cards, window regulators, glass hatch, glass windows, motorised hatch opener and steel bonnet on my car. I now have tinnitus.....

lol

Underworld 10 January 2009 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8411226)

all these mods r worthless... Unless u go on a diet first:cuckoo: :cuckoo:

edit: do u drive the chassis with some bits and an engine only???:wonder: :wonder:

Underworld 10 January 2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 8410976)
What parts are lighter on early Uk car compared to an early RA to make it weigh less?

I'm trying to get mine down to 1000kg and I'm running out of idea's other than plastic windows and stripping doors out.

convertible:wonder: :wonder: :wonder: ??? :norty: