ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   WTF?? engine protect mode... CEL on (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/737135-wtf-engine-protect-mode-cel-on.html)

Underworld 08 January 2009 10:33 PM

WTF?? engine protect mode... CEL on

i use to drive with the green connectors under the steering connected... bt i thought to disconnect it today, and drove..... at one point, i was overtaking, and it went BANG.... revs bounced back and CEL turned on... it continued to move then... i didnt notice where exactly it bounced, was about 4 - 5 k rev....

is there any other way to let it rev more?? i hate the cel when its on and flashing when i connect the greens.....

also when will the cel go away?? its the 1st time it hapened to me, as ive been driving most of the time with the connecters.....:freak3: :freak3:

thnks

myblackwrx 08 January 2009 10:40 PM

Have you read the error code?
The CEL will disappear the problem has been fixed and the ecu reset.

Underworld 08 January 2009 10:51 PM

CEL stays on... no flash......... solid Check Engine Light///

hope it goes tomorrow

Stealth 08 January 2009 10:53 PM

Put the car back to how it was, take the battery off for 30mins, this will reset the ECU etc and see how you get on

Jamo 08 January 2009 11:16 PM

do you know how to check the error code on your car?

Underworld 08 January 2009 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973 (Post 8408797)
do you know how to check the error code on your car?

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading ECU Fault Codes

still learning that, bt i guess i could, if i give have to. lol

but this one does not flash or anything... its permanent on.... :wonder: :wonder: drove for about 4 miles home and it was on... it didnt flash at any point...

Underworld 08 January 2009 11:31 PM

limp mode or whatever its called... is there any way of gettin the car out of this??? or do i have to use the connectors all the time??

if it dsnt go, ill reset it tomorrow and check for any error

Stealth 08 January 2009 11:40 PM

just take the battery off for 30mins or so and that will reset it all for you!

Underworld 09 January 2009 12:08 AM

every time it goes on limp mode????

jd5217 09 January 2009 12:18 AM

why were you driving around with the green connectors always connected?

Underworld 09 January 2009 12:22 AM

cuz it goes in limp mode and dsnt rev above 5k

Stealth 09 January 2009 01:14 AM

surely if the car keeps going in to limp mode thee is a reason for this and just keep bypassing the problem isn't gogint o be doing your ar any favours...... Get her to a garage and have her checked out properly mate!

jd5217 09 January 2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth (Post 8409003)
surely if the car keeps going in to limp mode thee is a reason for this and just keep bypassing the problem isn't gogint o be doing your ar any favours...... Get her to a garage and have her checked out properly mate!

that is what I was getting at.

jaytc2003 09 January 2009 12:23 PM

its easy to check for the error codes. Reset the ecu and then drive. When the cel comes on, do the connector thing to get the flashing code (when driving cel will be perm on not flashing the code).

Look at rectifying the problem, reset the ecu and voila, a scoob driving like it was meant to. (it wont be quite right with the connectors connected)

DazW 09 January 2009 02:13 PM

As above ...I used this site to diagnose a fault/ ECU reset:

Main Heading Goes Here

& pray that you haven't been driving around 'normally' ;) with a code 23 ;)

Underworld 09 January 2009 07:34 PM

went in the cold, tried to reset the ecu by connecting the black and greens under the steering.... ign on, and the cel was still on... pressed pedal, lift half, 2 - 4 sec, released... cel still solid on.

then i turned engine on, cel off.. drove her for over 1 min normally. no cel... stopped. tried again, same thing...

stopped, switched off, disconected black and green... and switch on engine, no cel, all good, drove home quietly:D :D

does that mean good or bad now???

Underworld 09 January 2009 08:14 PM

it didnt flash a OK sign or any error code

myblackwrx 09 January 2009 08:25 PM

The CEL doesn't flash when there is an error code it stays on permanently.

Basically if it doesn't illuminate when the engine is running then all is well with the car:thumb: