ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Close Encounters or what? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/737027-close-encounters-or-what.html)

zip106 08 January 2009 04:13 PM

Close Encounters or what?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7817378.stm

:lol1:

Gordo 08 January 2009 04:18 PM

sounds like a fire work display (in today's Guardian0 and the blades failing in high winds (these things aren't that robust if run too quickly - one of the myths of wind energy - i.e. not only do you need enough wind, but they also can't work if there's too much wind as the gear boxes break, blades jam and snap - some videos on Youtube of this happening).

Shame as i prefer the idea of cows playing with matches and lighting their farts for a laugh, propelling them vertically into the spinning blades :)

NXG 08 January 2009 04:18 PM

Close encounter with bolts supplied by the lowest bidder.....

hoskib 08 January 2009 06:42 PM

i don't know what's worse, the fact a council official said we're sure wind didn't break it (WTF, it works on wind and wind breaks it???)
or the fact that ET drove 40 billion light years and flew into something that barely moves;)

SunnySideUp 08 January 2009 06:47 PM

"Local ufologists said they had received many reports of activity in the area and had teams searching for clues"

Hmmmmmm, geek alert :lol1: :rolleyes:

NXG 08 January 2009 06:57 PM

That's just great isn't it.... ET travels billions of miles, says "We come in peace" to a wind turbine and gets a tentacle lopped off.... Expect the planet to get vaped any day now. At least we won't have to worry about the recession anymore.

The Rig 08 January 2009 06:59 PM

why hasnt the blade been found then if it broke off ?

UFO for sure

DCI Gene Hunt 08 January 2009 07:12 PM

They found the blade a couple of hundred yards away.... almost as if it had come loose, been hit by another blade and thrown 200 yards ;)

hoskib 08 January 2009 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 8407759)
why hasnt the blade been found then if it broke off ?

ET is a pikey:D

Tam the bam 08 January 2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by hoskib (Post 8407817)
ET is a pikey:D

Lets hope he returns for the rest of the unsightly useless pieces of sh!t soon :thumb:

zip106 08 January 2009 07:45 PM

The thing concerning me is if it was aliens then why the hell would they choose Lincolnshire?

Have they seen the locals... all got pointy heads and long chins...

L.J.F 08 January 2009 07:53 PM

:lol:

john_s 08 January 2009 08:18 PM

Perhaps Eddie the ET saw the wind turbine, fancied a piece of it ;) , then got pretty p****d off and ripped the blade off in a rage when his intergalactic wingman turned and caught him humping a wind turbine.

There's probably already a photo of it on the ET squadron room wall with a "300,000 light years and Eddie pulled a plastic swamp donkey" comment on it. :D

Kieran_Burns 08 January 2009 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 8407930)
The thing concerning me is if it was aliens then why the hell would they choose Lincolnshire?

They came to see if there was intelligent life on Earth. Landed in Lincolnshire... and left. In a hurry. ;)

shawn r 08 January 2009 09:35 PM

:lol:

Boro 08 January 2009 09:38 PM

They reckon it may have been a build up of ice now. I prefer the ET theory, much more interesting.

Scoobychick 08 January 2009 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 8408270)
They came to see if there was intelligent life on Earth. Landed in Lincolnshire... and left. In a hurry. ;)

NeilT 09 January 2009 10:44 AM

from the Telegraph...

"Ministry of Defence insiders have reportedly said the UFOs could be unmanned stealth bombers on test flights.

The black delta-wing craft, called Taranis, is understood to have been making test runs on the coastal bombing ranges at Donna Nook and North Coates, which are right next to the site of the wrecked wind turbine.

Taranis is about the same size as the Hawk jet trainers used by the Red Arrows at nearby RAF Scrampton - it is being developed by BAe Systems to deliver bombs in battlefields"

More likely explanation, the lights people are reportimg could be the bombs being deployed and / or flares and maybe there is a damaged Taranis sitting in a workshop somewhere?

Taranis Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle (UCAV) Demonstrator - Air Force Technology

DCI Gene Hunt 09 January 2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by NeilT (Post 8409350)
from the Telegraph...

"Ministry of Defence insiders have reportedly said the UFOs could be unmanned stealth bombers on test flights.

The black delta-wing craft, called Taranis, is understood to have been making test runs on the coastal bombing ranges at Donna Nook and North Coates, which are right next to the site of the wrecked wind turbine.

Taranis is about the same size as the Hawk jet trainers used by the Red Arrows at nearby RAF Scrampton - it is being developed by BAe Systems to deliver bombs in battlefields"

More likely explanation, the lights people are reportimg could be the bombs being deployed and / or flares and maybe there is a damaged Taranis sitting in a workshop somewhere?

Taranis Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle (UCAV) Demonstrator - Air Force Technology

I can say that this is 100% not the case..... :Suspiciou

NeilT 09 January 2009 10:48 AM

go on then....

DCI Gene Hunt 09 January 2009 10:51 AM

IF.... it was active (which it wasn't) it still has to comply with CAA flight requirements, which prohibit it flying at "wind turbine" height ;)

NeilT 09 January 2009 10:56 AM

of course - unless something failed and it was out of control.

DCI Gene Hunt 09 January 2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by NeilT (Post 8409365)
of course - unless something failed and it was out of control.

Which it didn't, as from where I'm sitting it looks like new :)

jacrobat 09 January 2009 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 8407930)

Actually it was Louth. If they had landed near Boston they would have been consulting the Sat Nav as they would think it was Poland.

jacrobat 09 January 2009 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 8409359)
IF.... it was active (which it wasn't) it still has to comply with CAA flight requirements, which prohibit it flying at "wind turbine" height ;)

Is that like the 'no reheat over urban areas' rule which nobody follows either.

DCI Gene Hunt 09 January 2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jacrobat (Post 8409453)
Is that like the 'no reheat over urban areas' rule which nobody follows either.

Everybody follows the rules, all of the time :thumb:

Unless there is good reason not to :D

spectrum48k 09 January 2009 12:34 PM

First it was crop-circles, later proved to be man-made.

Now someone vandalises a wind turbine (some sort of projectile fired at it?) and people are saying the UFO's are back again!

So a civilisation so advanced they can travel across the galaxies to our planet....and they crash into a wind turbine ? Gimme a break!

StickyMicky 09 January 2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 8409354)
I can say that this is 100% not the case..... :Suspiciou

i had a little "lol" when i read that this morning, are we supposed to believe that this unmanned craft can fly into windturbines without an issue?

lmfao

if this was the case the why make it unmanned as no harm would come to any pilot :lol:

the MOD have made matters worse by trying to tell us this utter bollocks :D

lightning101 09 January 2009 12:44 PM

The reason he knows is because he works for the MOD, has an MOD IP address, and can see it (the plane) every morning. That was the jist of it from where I was sitting (in my wind turbine factory) ;)

StickyMicky 09 January 2009 12:48 PM

i had a little "lol" about the story in the news, not dci ;)

i have a little "lol" at dci in my private time :D