ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sterling rallies against Euro and ... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/736908-sterling-rallies-against-euro-and.html)

SunnySideUp 07 January 2009 11:48 PM

Sterling rallies against Euro and ...

..... interest rates expected to be the lowest ever in history tomorrow!!!

"The pound has risen to its highest level against the euro for three weeks, ahead of the Bank of England's interest rates announcement on Thursday.

The euro fell 0.5% against the pound to close at 90.1 pence, well below its recent high of 98.04 pence.

"There's been a change in sentiment for sterling," said Neil Jones, at Mizuho Corporate Bank in London.

UK rates are expected to be cut by 0.5 percentage points to 1.5%, their lowest in the Bank of England's history"

Source:- BBC

I blame the damned Government for all this amazingly good news!!! ;)

dpb 07 January 2009 11:50 PM

What good news :cuckoo:

dpb 08 January 2009 12:02 AM

The biggest lender has already said its not going to lower its rates ..!

Puff The Magic Wagon! 08 January 2009 12:11 AM

The rate change is due to the fact the eurozone is going to have to drop their interest rates so once again the pound is attractive.

Gear Head 08 January 2009 10:50 AM

Erm....
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...hen-again.html

TelBoy 08 January 2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 8406364)
The rate change is due to the fact the eurozone is going to have to drop their interest rates so once again the pound is attractive.

Not what's causing the present move. But it might be a factor further down the line.

stilover 08 January 2009 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8406322)

"The pound has risen to its highest level against the euro for three weeks, ahead of the Bank of England's interest rates announcement on Thursday.

The euro fell 0.5% against the pound to close at 90.1 pence, well below its recent high of 98.04 pence.

"There's been a change in sentiment for sterling," said Neil Jones, at Mizuho Corporate Bank in London.

UK rates are expected to be cut by 0.5 percentage points to 1.5%, their lowest in the Bank of England's history"

Recession over then. Jobs a goodun. :thumb:

<<<<<< runs out to get a 125% mortgage >>>>>>>>>>

FlightMan 08 January 2009 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8406322)

Thank God for that. For a minute I thought the economy was in trouble. :cuckoo:

Come on Pete, your better than this.

Leslie 08 January 2009 11:06 AM

Wonder why all these firms are going to the wall and the consequent job losses then.

Will they all be back in business soon then?

Les

Gear Head 08 January 2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8406903)
Wonder why all these firms are going to the wall and the consequent job losses then.

Will they all be back in business soon then?

Les

As I have said, these businesses were working on borrowed money to pay for stock, wages etc. Once the banks stopped lending, it was bye bye business.

FlightMan 08 January 2009 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 8406918)
As I have said, these businesses were working on borrowed money to pay for stock, wages etc. Once the banks stopped lending, it was bye bye business.

It's a bit like the US and their $2 trillion deficit.

Bye bye USofA.

TelBoy 08 January 2009 11:24 AM

$2 trillion? They wish. The gross national debt is now above 10 big ones....

Gear Head 08 January 2009 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8406938)
$2 trillion? They wish. The gross national debt is now above 10 big ones....

Wow, I didn't realise they were that bad! Makes our £100 billion look rather good! :D

SunnySideUp 08 January 2009 12:41 PM

Well, rates have dropped as predicted .....

Exporting companies are able to under-cut the competition, due to the weak pound.

The biggest losers in all this are the savers ... rates drop for them, but not for borrowers. We can only hope that inflation drops to 1% or under, then a 2% return on savings is still OK.

TelBoy 08 January 2009 12:50 PM

1% year on year maybe, but i reckon December's RPI data, due out on 20th Jan, will show a hefty -ve reading, possibly as low as -1.5%, making anything you're actually earning in any savings account look an absolute steal.

Gear Head 08 January 2009 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8407114)
Well, rates have dropped as predicted .....

Exporting companies are able to under-cut the competition, due to the weak pound.

The biggest losers in all this are the savers ... rates drop for them, but not for borrowers. We can only hope that inflation drops to 1% or under, then a 2% return on savings is still OK.

The £ is still ok though. It actually rose quite a bit when the news was announced!

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Currencies | Sterling v US Dollar