ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Any ideas as to why our currency is starting to strengthen again? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/736794-any-ideas-as-to-why-our-currency-is-starting-to-strengthen-again.html)

Gear Head 07 January 2009 04:35 PM

Any ideas as to why our currency is starting to strengthen again?

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Currencies | Sterling v US Dollar

cookstar 07 January 2009 04:37 PM

Gordon Brown has saved us all. :luxhello:

Snazy 07 January 2009 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8404985)

Guess he was serious when he made his "save the world" comment.

Gear Head 07 January 2009 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8404985)

No I am genuinely interested. As I thought all the experts said the £ was just going to keep on getting weaker. :wonder:

scoobynutta555 07 January 2009 04:41 PM

I don't know why against the dollar, but I feel the pound with rally against the euro. Some of the european economies are in 5hitstreet and cannot devalue their currencies like we've done to lessen debt. It'll either drag the euro down of force some countries to pull out;either way it doesn't look good for the euro.

Plus, we being alone it'll be easier for us to ride the recession without the cumbersome restraints a common currency with many member countries bring. If I was a foreigner I'd be hoovering up as much UK assets as I could.

Gear Head 07 January 2009 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 8405001)
I don't know why against the dollar, but I feel the pound with rally against the euro. Some of the european economies are in 5hitstreet and cannot devalue their currencies like we've done to lessen debt. It'll either drag the euro down of force some countries to pull out;either way it doesn't look good for the euro.

Plus, we being alone it'll be easier for us to ride the recession without the cumbersome restraints a common currency with many member countries bring. If I was a foreigner I'd be hoovering up as much UK assets as I could.

And that is what I said before Xmas, but quite a few thought I was barking up the wrong tree. Some industries haven't been affected at all and many are starting to see an upturn already. More media hype as usual.

FlightMan 07 January 2009 04:48 PM

Outlook for the $ is weak, the £ marginally less so.

Or it's a dead cat bounce.

Why I typed count God only knows! :D

stevebt 07 January 2009 04:57 PM

I think its due to the fact that eurozone is getting reading to cut their interest rates. Its only a matter of time before europe takes its crash and brings the pound back to normal :)

BBC NEWS | Business | Euro weakens on rate cut evidence

hodgy0_2 07 January 2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 8404993)
No I am genuinely interested. As I thought all the experts said the £ was just going to keep on getting weaker. :wonder:

mmmm Astrologist only exits to make these Economic experts look good!!!

its just "the market" -- it will waiver about for a bit, and once the "herd mentality" of the experts subsides it will find its true level

obviously the general sentiment in the market was that it had fallen too far (usually due to said "herd mentality)

Paul3446 07 January 2009 05:38 PM

Quote:
"No I am genuinely interested. As I thought all the experts said the £ was just going to keep on getting weaker. :wonder: "

Are these the same experts who said that oil prices would keep rising? ;)

Gordo 07 January 2009 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 8405026)
Or it's a dead count bounce.

Or a dead cat bounce?

EAndy 07 January 2009 07:03 PM

America keep on printing money and this is just going to keep bringing the dollar down.

Least Mr.Brown didn't opt for that, we'd be in more sh*t than anyone.

You could view it for the £ as first in the sh*t first out the sh*t.

jjones 07 January 2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by EAndy (Post 8405428)
America keep on printing money and this is just going to keep bringing the dollar down.

Least Mr.Brown didn't opt for that, we'd be in more sh*t than anyone.

oohhh ****

Brown in final gamble: to print money

scoobynutta555 07 January 2009 07:18 PM

If they do that it will be to combat deflation.

dunx 07 January 2009 09:55 PM

The USA is deeper in the ****e than we are !

dunx

zip106 07 January 2009 09:55 PM

The £ might yet plunge again when our interest rate is cut tomorrow.

Possibly.

billythekid 07 January 2009 10:09 PM

This must, IMHO, be looked at as a long term problem. A 10% fluctuation does not mean much if it only lasts for a few days. We are looking at -0.5% or even -1% tomorrow of the BoE rate. I suspect we need to wait a good 3 months to see what the impact is of the rate changes.

wayne9t9 08 January 2009 05:35 AM

3 months ago pound was $2 now its $1.50 erm :wonder:

TelBoy 08 January 2009 07:13 AM

Because most people now think the BoE will cut just 50bps today whereas more people believed they'd do 100bps previously. If they do cut to 1% today then the currency will definitely sell off again.

P1Fanatic 08 January 2009 07:25 AM

I hope it improves as off on hols in Feb and havent bought any dollars yet.

Simon

MattW 08 January 2009 09:28 AM

Sorry Simon, hoping for the opposite. Have two invoice in US$ about to be paid, and they'll be getting another at the end of Jan.

TopBanana 08 January 2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by MattW (Post 8406690)
Sorry Simon, hoping for the opposite. Have two invoice in US$ about to be paid, and they'll be getting another at the end of Jan.

If you're really worried about it, set up a hedge using a spread betting firm.

hux309 08 January 2009 09:37 AM

Personally ive always felt our economy is stronger that the us, the only reason ours dropped so fast was the oil barrel prices being set in usd so helped bolster them, now we're in for the long haul the usd and the euro will be more widely affected.

That and it takes time to adjust to the initial shock of the credit crunch anyway.

TelBoy 08 January 2009 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 8406702)
If you're really worried about it, set up a hedge using a spread betting firm.

Come again?? Mitigate corporate exposure by giving City Index a call, is that what you're suggesting? :D