ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   my wipers are so noisy its driving me mad!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/736781-my-wipers-are-so-noisy-its-driving-me-mad.html)

delcbr 07 January 2009 03:28 PM

my wipers are so noisy its driving me mad!!

just about every car ive owned has had noisy wiper blades but dont know why........ive fitted new wiper blades but still does it anyone know why or cures for it?i hate having to use my wipers!

subaruturbo_18 07 January 2009 03:38 PM

just get rain-X no need for wipers then :D

hutton_d 07 January 2009 03:43 PM

Clean the windscreen with screen cleaner - with a rag - fairly often. That 'helps'.

Dave

Gear Head 07 January 2009 03:47 PM

Bosch? Or a cheapo brand?

Paul3446 07 January 2009 03:49 PM

Only use them when it rains!

windyboy 07 January 2009 04:14 PM

i have bosch one's fitted and they squeak and leave smears when the windscreen is not very wet but work fine when the screen is wetter, I have also adjusted the blade arm on the spindle so that the blade has a bigger sweep on the screen but it means that it hits off the side A pillar frame / windscreen joint and it can be annoying at times.

Sorry to go on but my point is that accrding to me Bosch aren't very good on a damp windscreen.

windyboy

delcbr 07 January 2009 04:59 PM

ive tried normal blades and then tried expensive bosch ones no difference they still rub and skip over the windscreen have to wait until the windscreen is really wet before using them i dont use it on the slowest repeat as its still noisy!!! i just touch the wiper stalk every now and again!to clear the windscreen!
think il wash the car and try a glass cleaner or wax.

delcbr 07 January 2009 05:14 PM

just had a read at this some good suggestions!

Noisy Wipers? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

someone suggested if your wipers have parked too long then they will naturally stay in the shape they were parked in.
my blades never moved for 4 month due to a leg injury.think il change them then.

bioforger 07 January 2009 07:23 PM

I use piaa silicon blades no squeaking ever, and they're still good now after more than a year. Pricey though.

G00ner 07 January 2009 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 8405518)
I use piaa silicon blades no squeaking ever, and they're still good now after more than a year. Pricey though.

second that.

ALi-B 07 January 2009 08:46 PM

I use cheap as chips Lucas blades; and they last years (well, 6 years on my old Subaru). The reason why is probably that I clean the blades weekly with a rag; wipe them with a rag (including the grooves in the blade, taking care not to bend or kink the metal reinforcement strips), and keep wiping until you see no more crud deposited on the rag, soak it in a bit of car shampoo or methylated spirits if its bad.

Windscreen is also probably contaminated with fall-out; clean with panel wipe or methylated spirits. Failing that, use a clay bar and soapy water.

The last windscreen I did had been subject to years of being parked near a steel foundry. It took an automated car wash, cellulose thinners, Clay bar and T-cut to remove whatever crap that was on the screen. And only then would the wipers be quiet and stop smearing (although the glass was scratched from the numpty of a previous owner using the wipers when it was too dry - dirty blades and no water = scratched windscreen :( )

SunnySideUp 07 January 2009 11:34 PM

I've just fitted a pair I bought from LIDLs in the summer - absolutely silent and wonderful .... they are £3:99 a pair when they get them in, I buy three pairs normally and hang them in the garage - they last about 12 months each pair, sorted :thumb:

little-ginge 07 January 2009 11:42 PM

put some vinegar on some tissue and use that to clean your wipers:thumb:

wayne9t9 08 January 2009 05:30 AM

Cut a potato in half and clean the glass with it, the starch does something apparently :)