ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   work related help please(solicitor advice needed) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/736759-work-related-help-please-solicitor-advice-needed.html)

classic scooby 07 January 2009 02:05 PM

work related help please(solicitor advice needed)

hi

bit of a story

ok so last december i got made redundant from my work(chef)all ok because i managed to find a job,had interview all went well got offered the job straight away,went away thought about it,next day phoned back said i would accept job offer,great they said we will send out a letter of job confirmation and offer setting out start date,days working,days off,hours,salary,waited 2 weeks for it to arrive!!anyway started work on 1st jan(thurs)all great next day all good and sat all good then went on my days off sun,mon,monday morning got a phone call from boss lady saying we dont want you back!!:wonder: its not working out!!:wonder: :confused: gave some stupid arse reasons why which are just so lame its not worth going into,come and collect your knives etc,which i did,they said they would post out cheque for 3 days work to me(got phone call today from them saying to collect cheque tomorrow!!)ok so i will,but in the meantime i contacted a chef agency not too far from me to try and get some work,the guy asked what happened,THIS IS WHERE THE PLOT THICKENS,he said he placed a guy there sometime ago and the same happened to him:nono: oh dear says me,now he says to contact citizens advice to see where i stand legally.

so my question to you guys is what do you think??
do i have a compo claim??

sorry its a long read and thanks for anyone in the know legally as to where i stand.

nick:thumb:

DCI Gene Hunt 07 January 2009 02:08 PM

If the letter doesn't state a trial period then you should be paid your stated notice period (I think?).

PeteBrant 07 January 2009 02:08 PM

Compensation for what?

classic scooby 07 January 2009 02:12 PM

no trial period was discussed or stated in the letter,but the will pay me for 3 days that i did work

that what i was asking really do i have anything to claim:wonder: ,because it has left me completely in the s**t with no job

nick

stilover 07 January 2009 02:16 PM

With such a short period of time (3 days) I don't think you have a leg to stand on. They could just say you weren't upto there standards.

PeteBrant 07 January 2009 02:17 PM

I'm not sure there will be anything to claim for. I presume you didn't have any terms and conditions of employment set out to you? Do you have anything that says "You are a chef, and we will pay you X amount every week/month"?

classic scooby 07 January 2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 8404607)
I'm not sure there will be anything to claim for. I presume you didn't have any terms and conditions of employment set out to you? Do you have anything that says "You are a chef, and we will pay you X amount every week/month"?

the letter says"within 2 months of commencement date a statement of the main terms applicable to this post will be supplied to you"
but does say" i am pleased to offer you position of head chef"and then states salary per annum

nick

classic scooby 07 January 2009 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8404604)
With such a short period of time (3 days) I don't think you have a leg to stand on. They could just say you weren't upto there standards.

thanks mate i guessed that would probably be the case,oh well.

nick

Timwinner 07 January 2009 02:31 PM

I dont think you have a claim, sorry to say. Its little stated that a disproportionate amount of unfair dismissal claims come from the catering industry. But with 3 days I think you have to put it down to experience and tell your chef friends about how they treated you.

john_s 07 January 2009 04:30 PM

Unless they've got rid of you for one of the "automatically unfair" reasons (gender, sexuality, race, etc), you are unlikely to have any grounds for a claim for unfair dismissal within the first 12 months of employment.

Jamo 07 January 2009 04:41 PM

I have seen this in hotels and restaurants loads. I can almost guarentee that they had someone off for those days and they could not cover it so got someone in on a trial basis. (you dont have a leg to stand on though)

try Welcome to Rosette Recruitment ask to speak to alan elliot hes a mate of mine and only deal with top hotels and restaurants, you can say that james sent you if you like, I used to be cdp at le manoir.

atb james

fivetide 07 January 2009 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by classic scooby (Post 8404618)
the letter says"within 2 months of commencement date a statement of the main terms applicable to this post will be supplied to you"

I think that might be your only way back in. If they haven't given you the T&C's i'm sure you can get cash for that. As you thought, speak to citizens advice.

5t.

classic scooby 07 January 2009 06:20 PM

thanks for all your replys guys much appreciated.

GC8 cheers for the link:thumb:

will keep you informed of any progress

nick

Jamo 07 January 2009 06:48 PM

im not gc8 ;)

GC8 07 January 2009 06:52 PM

Yes, whats all that about? Im taller and a damned sight better looking.

ScoobyWon't 07 January 2009 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973 (Post 8405002)
I used to be cdp at le manoir.

Chef de Ping? ;)

GC8 07 January 2009 06:57 PM

Cleaner de pots.....

classic scooby 07 January 2009 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973 (Post 8405379)
im not gc8 ;)

oops!! sorry buddy

nick

GC8 07 January 2009 07:29 PM

James: youre my j4ckos mate....

:)

cossie-nutter 07 January 2009 08:41 PM

They can employ you for 3 months without a contract then kick you to the kurb and there's sod all you can do let alone 3 days work!

Sorry buddy I hope you find work soon.

classic scooby 07 January 2009 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter (Post 8405814)
They can employ you for 3 months without a contract then kick you to the kurb and there's sod all you can do let alone 3 days work!

Sorry buddy I hope you find work soon.

pretty much what i was thinking,thanks for the info:thumb:
thanks mate appreciate that:thumb:

mike h 07 January 2009 11:35 PM

Would you consider a position in my kitchen? The wife hasn't been near the cooker for ages! :D