ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I pay car tax, so why are my roads covered in pot holes? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/736585-i-pay-car-tax-so-why-are-my-roads-covered-in-pot-holes.html)

subaruturbo_18 06 January 2009 07:08 PM

I pay car tax, so why are my roads covered in pot holes?

How many other people are sick of the state of the roads?

On a 5 mile drive to my girlfriends house i dont think you can go a quater of a mile without running over a large pothole.

How much money from car tax, as a percentage, goes on the maintenance of fixing the roads?

Just last week a friend of mine drove over a large unavoidable pot hole and it triggered the fuel cut off switch. He does'nt no too much about cars and had no idea so had to pay to get it fixed. What a joke.

bugeyeandy 06 January 2009 07:19 PM

Get on your councils website and let them know about them, they generally only inspect the roads once or twice a year so rely on the public to let them know when faults appear.
My local council are really good at sorting out potholes and sunken manholes etc when i've snagged them.

Snazy 06 January 2009 07:30 PM

No no, you pay VED not road tax. VED is a clever way of saying, its no longer related, and therefore we will use as little of it as we want on the roads.

Like Andy says, follow it up with the council. From experience persistance gets results.

New_scooby_04 06 January 2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18 (Post 8402646)

On a 5 mile drive to my girlfriends house i dont think you can go a quater of a mile without running over a large pothole.

Good preparation for the 'rough ride' you'll get when the GF sees you've spent more money on the car! ;) :D

powerman1 06 January 2009 09:37 PM

report everyone you come across because if someone damages their car after a reasonable time of notification they can claim against the council.

Ant 06 January 2009 09:45 PM

a lad i know went over a pot hole and it dented his 20" wheel the council paid up for a new one

mykp 06 January 2009 09:58 PM

does anyone know when the last time road tax money was spent on the roads? My bet would be 1920!

Snazy 06 January 2009 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by antc (Post 8403245)
a lad i know went over a pot hole and it dented his 20" wheel the council paid up for a new one

Yup I know of a few people who have had wheels replaced. Its not straight forward, but worth following up on. If you sustain damage, record the location of the pothole ASAP, take a pic of it, and report it too. Then the paperwork and chasing can really start.

dpb 06 January 2009 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by mykp (Post 8403302)
does anyone know when the last time road tax money was spent on the roads? My bet would be 1920!

im guessing '98

powerman1 06 January 2009 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 8403385)
Yup I know of a few people who have had wheels replaced. Its not straight forward, but worth following up on. If you sustain damage, record the location of the pothole ASAP, take a pic of it, and report it too. Then the paperwork and chasing can really start.

been down this road with my daughters car after she hit a pot hole which knackered her front tyre/suspension/alloy/tracking and the council proved they had carried out the required inspections and were unaware of this pot hole so no claim accepted

Klaatu 07 January 2009 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18 (Post 8402646)
How many other people are sick of the state of the roads?

How much money from car tax, as a percentage, goes on the maintenance of fixing the roads?

Just last week a friend of mine drove over a large unavoidable pot hole and it triggered the fuel cut off switch. He does'nt no too much about cars and had no idea so had to pay to get it fixed. What a joke.

Back in 1995 (I know it's an old reference, but you can work out the rest yourself), the road fund license raised GBP22bil from private vehicles only excluding PSVs/HVGs etc. Only GBP5bil, from the total (I don't recall what that was but it was more than 22bil), was allocated to road projects. At that time GBP22bil was almost the GPD of New Zealand.

IanK Spec C 07 January 2009 06:03 AM

fixmystreet

FixMyStreet is quite good at getting potholes fixed.

Best regards,

Ian