ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Just booked a Dodge Charger from Trifty in USA? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/736545-just-booked-a-dodge-charger-from-trifty-in-usa.html)

AnnieN 06 January 2009 05:17 PM

Just booked a Dodge Charger from Trifty in USA?

Anyone know what engines they are in the "hire car" range.

Just wondered if we might get a HEMI?

Flying into Charlotte (North Carolina) any idea from you frequent travellers?

dpb 06 January 2009 05:26 PM

Prolly a 3l v6 by the time you get there :o

Markus 06 January 2009 05:28 PM

Looking at the Charger (Do you mean Charger or Challenger?) model line up, they al come with HEMI engines, either 5.7 V8's or, on the SRT8 version, a 6.1 V8. But it is quite possible they might have a lower spec V6 version.

What exactly does your order receipt say on it, does it list a model version, for example, LX.

AnnieN 06 January 2009 05:49 PM

No spec on the mailed reciept, just Dodge Charger (or similar)!

Markus 06 January 2009 05:59 PM

In which case you might not even get a Charger, depends if the location has any left when you get there. Could be worth ringing the place and asking what models they have and if you can specifically reserve a charger,

PaulC72 06 January 2009 06:34 PM

Dodge Charger or similar ......Toyota Prius, it has the same amount of wheels sir ;)

FlightMan 06 January 2009 06:45 PM

Did you book it from Thrifty in the US?

If so make sure you're covered for insurance otherwise they'll sting you at the desk for extra and SLI, CDW and God knows what else.

And it won't be a HEMI. Sorry.

Snazy 06 January 2009 07:33 PM

As FM says, one thing for sure is it WONT be a HEMI.
You can specifically book things like Shelby Mustangs, but anything else will usually be one up from base model unless specified.

FlightMan 06 January 2009 07:38 PM

Just looking at Thrifty.com the price you get does not include the following:

The protections below are available for purchase when you pick up your car.
Supplemental Liability Ins.
($12.95 Per Day)
> Learn more

Third-party automobile liability coverage with benefits up to a maximum protection of $1,000,000 combined single limit (CSL) per occurrence.
Trip Saver
($4.95 Per Day)

Personal Accident Insurance
($4.95 Per Day)

Uninsured Motorist Protection
($5.99 Per Day)
> Learn more

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Protection ("UMP") provides coverage for injuries and damages caused by an owner or driver of an uninsured or underinsured third party vehicle.
Loss damage waiver
($22.99 Per Day)
> Learn more

Waives your financial responsibility for loss or damage to the vehicle in full or in part subject to the conditions in the rental agreement and the limitations imposed by law.

Hope you've gone to the UK site and inc all the insurances!

Snazy 06 January 2009 08:03 PM

Thats why I love Dollar and Budget, oh and National, they all quote FULLY inclusive. And guarentee price without pre-payment.

FlightMan 06 January 2009 08:06 PM

Never gone direct myself Snazy. I always us USRentacar. With a Dollar Express card, I've always had a good experience.

Snazy 06 January 2009 09:00 PM

Usually works out pretty cheap, reservation is a piece of cake from the UK. Have a look about mate, see what the prices come up like. The prices for National and Budget last year kicked Dollar's arse. But it chops and changes.

What sort of discount you get with the Express card ?

AnnieN 07 January 2009 12:45 PM

OK probably wont be a V8 but I just wanted something big enough to get around in the states, anything else is a bonus.

Also I booked the car with the flights and it came out considerably cheaper with all the additional costs included in the deal, i checked!

Last time used a local "big name" agent in the local town and the "premium" car we got was some 3 ltr V6 Kia thing of all things! You know the one, only, retards would spend there hard earned in the UK on.
Was OK on the freeway mind!

Snazy 07 January 2009 01:41 PM

We had a V6 Mustang when we were out there in June, which had more than enough power for pulling you round normal streets and highways.
The V8 SUV was no quicker, but then its about smooooooothness really out there, for me anyway.

I have never taken the cars included with flights etc yet, as once I have added insurance its always been more lol.

austinwrx 07 January 2009 01:48 PM

I always book the cheapest most horrible car any company has.

because they never have any so have to up grade you for free :)

had a 4 door saloon hire car for 3 weeks when I went sking in aspen, colorado. can't remember what it was, but it was a V8 3500 and as slow as anything !!!

the altitude did affect it methinks.

it was so big- it seated 3 in the front- two on the power bench seat next to driver. I had to use my ski poles to hook stuff from the back of the boot as I couldn't reach !

TelBoy 07 January 2009 03:09 PM

Talking of hemis, what price one of the 93 Hemi Superbirds, made in 1970? :luvlove:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Superbird.jpg

Snazy 07 January 2009 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8404735)
Talking of hemis, what price one of the 93 Hemi Superbirds, made in 1970? :luvlove:

Eh :wonder:

FlightMan 07 January 2009 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 8403071)
Usually works out pretty cheap, reservation is a piece of cake from the UK. Have a look about mate, see what the prices come up like. The prices for National and Budget last year kicked Dollar's arse. But it chops and changes.

What sort of discount you get with the Express card ?

No discount, BUT, it allows you to bypass the queues at the car hire desk, and go to the Express lane. :thumb:

I've never waited more than 5 minutes to get my car at MCO, even when there's been 2 jumbo jet loads of tourists heading for car rental!

Oh, and they never try to sell me upgrades and extra's either! :thumb:

TelBoy 07 January 2009 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 8404748)
Eh :wonder:

What? :D

Snazy 07 January 2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 8404750)
No discount, BUT, it allows you to bypass the queues at the car hire desk, and go to the Express lane. :thumb:

I've never waited more than 5 minutes to get my car at MCO, even when there's been 2 jumbo jet loads of tourists heading for car rental!

Oh, and they never try to sell me upgrades and extra's either! :thumb:

Aaah fair play mate. Got to be honest, there is usually such a small queue at Sanford there is not usually an express lane open lol.
Never had to wait more than a few mins yet.

We are flying to MCO this year though, so remember the queues being a little longer there. We shall see. Hmmmph !! lol
Rarely get offered upgrades either, but thats usually as I have the top end SUV anyway, so not much more to offer :)

NotoriousREV 07 January 2009 04:07 PM

I've always preferred the Charger Daytona myself

http://www.jmooneyham.com/black-and-...er-daytona.jpg

ronjeramy 07 January 2009 04:19 PM

And there was me, thinking that Ford started the hooooge wing on the trunk :mad: boot :D

Snazy 07 January 2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8404751)
What? :D

Exactly :thumb:

stara 07 January 2009 05:25 PM

both those cars look rediculous, barry spoilers, wtf, get a grip, probably provides lift rather than downforce, what the hell were they thinking in the 70's.

NotoriousREV 07 January 2009 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by stara (Post 8405127)
both those cars look rediculous, barry spoilers, wtf, get a grip, probably provides lift rather than downforce, what the hell were they thinking in the 70's.

Hardly, mate. They were homologation specials for NASCAR entry and in race trim could crack 200mph.

dpb 07 January 2009 08:51 PM

Tel ,thats hideous,just so as you know like

stara 07 January 2009 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV (Post 8405809)
Hardly, mate. They were homologation specials for NASCAR entry and in race trim could crack 200mph.

they still look absolutely rediculous whatever they were originally used for.