ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   TOYOTA STARLET GLANZA V TURBO (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/736069-toyota-starlet-glanza-v-turbo.html)

bootsy 04 January 2009 08:45 PM

TOYOTA STARLET GLANZA V TURBO

i fancy a new toy for going to work in.so i've been looking at a glanza turbo anyone had one.what they like day to day driving.good or bad points :wonder:
(i'm now off to have a look around a glanza forum:D)

Fantom 05 January 2009 01:31 PM

They seem so overpriced!!!!
Try a clio 172. Much better :) Apart from its French of course

GlesgaKiss 05 January 2009 04:07 PM

My mate has just bought an automatic one of these. God what a horrible little sh*tbox it is.

Your decision at the end of the day, but as the poster above me states, there are much better cars available for the same money.

Jamz3k 05 January 2009 04:22 PM

the only good one i've been in was a 4x4 Starlet Turbo, it stuck to the road like no ones business and looked like your grannies daily runaround. :thumb:

They demand complete unrealistic prices though and are a bit ****e otherwise in my opinion. don't see the point in a 1.3 engine with a turbo, why not just get a bigger engine:wonder:

GlesgaKiss 05 January 2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BigJay (Post 8398998)
the only good one i've been in was a 4x4 Starlet Turbo, it stuck to the road like no ones business and looked like your grannies daily runaround. :thumb:

They demand complete unrealistic prices though and are a bit ****e otherwise in my opinion. don't see the point in a 1.3 engine with a turbo, why not just get a bigger engine:wonder:

Yeah, and I know another guy that spends loads of money on his. Constantly telling me it's gonna have 240bhp when he turns the boost up etc etc, and how amazing it's going to be.

At least if I spend money modifying my Impreza, I know it will actually be good to drive, and genuinly pretty quick - whereas that will still be sh*t.

Jamz3k 05 January 2009 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan (Post 8399007)
Yeah, and I know another guy that spends loads of money on his. Constantly telling me it's gonna have 240bhp when he turns the boost up etc etc, and how amazing it's going to be.

At least if I spend money modifying my Impreza, I know it will actually be good to drive, and genuinly pretty quick - whereas that will still be sh*t.

A friend of mine had a really nice one, his brother is actually on this site. I never understood why he liked it:lol1: But in saying that is was very theatrical as off the lights it had all the noise and sqwirming around with lift off oversteer etc:lol1:

And really *IF* it really did have 240bhp how exactly do they put it down on the road? I think out of the box they are around 130bhp so thats a hefty jump in power!

jpor 05 January 2009 07:05 PM

You can get yourself a U.K Specced 2004/2005 Daihatsu YRV Turbo 130 for less with a 1.3 Litre Turbo engine and it is only Group 8 Insurance. I know I bought one as a run-a-bout, 'View My Scooby for piccies'. :notworthy The Glanza was only made upto 1999 from what I can see.

jonc 05 January 2009 07:55 PM

If you're seriously considering one, have a word with a friend of mine. He is putting his own Glanza up for sale. Details of which can be found here:
FOR SALE: Blitz K24 1996 EP91 Glanza V - Toyota GT Turbo.com

It's a bit of a mental beast!!

Ian 05 January 2009 08:33 PM

thats very nice, over 200 bhp in a little car like that must be mad

use to have a 150-170 bhp punto gt a few years ago, and that was fun

bootsy 05 January 2009 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fantom (Post 8398336)
They seem so overpriced!!!!
Try a clio 172. Much better :) Apart from its French of course

i just fancied something different.i have no problem with French cars as my work car is a 106 rallye.i'm looking for a small car for work thats cheap to run and goes round corners well.so really a small fun car.if i wont to go fast i'll use my scoob:thumb:

jonc 05 January 2009 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by DaOne (Post 8399902)
thats very nice, over 200 bhp in a little car like that must be mad

use to have a 150-170 bhp punto gt a few years ago, and that was fun

Yep, the car weighs well under a ton, is moderately stripped out and has roll cage fitted. Has fully adjustable coilovers and with the LSD has massive grip and high cornering speed. I think the car was originally setup for short sprints, but having said that it had no problems hanging on the coat tails of some moderately tuned Evos.

dannytwo 05 January 2009 08:58 PM

I have had one mate,my opinion on them is that they are a great little car,yes they are a 1.3 with a turbo! but theres nothing to them weight wise,770kg. and handling was on a par with my scoobie!,yes really:) in the dry that is,plus it did have teins(coilovers) lsd.

fuel consumption was great too,you have a switch for adjustable boost hi/low,i was getting 40-45 to the gallon.

I do agree with some on here about how over priced some are tho,there is some cheap ones knocking about tho,cheap insurance to:)

Dannytwo

dannytwo 05 January 2009 09:04 PM

Here it is:)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ictures536.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ictures552.jpg

jameswrx 05 January 2009 09:07 PM

I think they are superb little cars, my mrs has had a couple and they have been really reliable, economical and fast.

Current one runs 170bhp, which doesn't sound a lot but with the weight it really flies.

Pumpkin 05 January 2009 09:14 PM

Good little cars that attract the wrong owners (bit like an Impreza? <ducks>)

Beef 06 January 2009 08:41 AM

Nippy little buggers them - might be a small engine, but as they weigh slightly less than Kate Moss they can't half shift. Particularly at less licence-endangering speeds than larger, more powerful cars. A tuned up one of them would be more than capable of making a lot of machinery look a bit daft in a quick little sprint up to 80-ish - and once the bugger is in front he's already 'won'. Doesn't matter if you blow past him at 120mph or something - you both know that you got shown up.

It's like racing vans - you'll gain nothing from a victory and complete humiliation from a loss. I avoid them despite having nearly 3 times the power of a standard one.

Kyokudo Racing 06 January 2009 09:02 AM

Love these cars !!! As standard I admit it, they aint nothin special, but if you spend a bit of money on these car on handling mods they are a weapon. Worked on loads of them and had mine for over 4 years. Just had 220bhp on it and ran constant 12.5s @ 110mph down the quarter mile, although mine was built for sprint events. Believe or not beat both Scooby's (JDM STI like the one I have) and also EVOs with it at the sprint events. Can fault these cars but its true in England they are priced too much compared to Scoobies. Also mine was the fastest FWD for the national sprint events. Nothing came close... no Pugs, EK9s, Clios :) Love them but I love my Scooby better :)

jonc 06 January 2009 10:28 AM

Heres a bit of a David vs Goliath match...
YouTube - Video Option -Tuning an EP82 to beat an R34

Herbie. 21 January 2009 11:26 AM

I think they are great little cars. Yeah people will think they are expensive for what they are. They hold their price very well and are very cheap to run. Im on my 2nd Glanza. I bought it as an investment as it has all the rare optional Recaro and TRD extra's.

Mines is running 260bhp approx, using a TD04L turbo from an Impreza and a fully forged engine. Its manic and scares they **** out of much bigger cars. In the dry its easy enough to get the power down on the tarmac but in the wet its totally useless on boost.

There are loads of tuning goodies, bolt on 300bhp kits for not much cash!
Everything is cheap - £2500 for a fully forged rebuild, best of clutches for £200. List goes on! Easy car to work on too.

Pumpkin 22 January 2009 08:16 AM

Some of the parts are cheap because some of the quality is rubbish. I've been asked to fit stainless exhaust manifolds and decats to Starlet Turbos and they've been awful - thin flanges that aren't flat. Crap welding. I wasn't surprised when they all cracked within a few thousand miles.

Herbie. 22 January 2009 11:47 AM

yeah thats true, id keep away from the cheap stainless stuff. It wont last two minutes. Mild steel ones are very tough though.

Mattsb 22 January 2009 12:08 PM

A few of my mates are members of the toyotagtturbo forum and have GT's which are running over 300bhp and one of them has a GT with a TD04 turbo and is roughly running at 350BHP, one of my mates has a nice glanza but somthing is always going wrong with it?!?.. Ive never been into Glanza's but i had a Starlet GT turbo and that was great fun and nothing went wrong with it.. Plus you can get them cheaper than Glanza's and are abit more lighter i have been told and dead easy to work on

Dan Jacques 14 February 2017 05:17 PM

They're better than you think

I have one running 240 bhp pulls like **** off a shovel with a good set of tyres you can get the power down and jheez they go like **** power to weight ratio is insane and with a good suspention set up handle really well although in the wet weather completely useless and can't put the power down but still a car that puts a smile on my face years after owning it , believe it or not I raced a 385 bhp evo and it beat me off then line then I flew past it until about 125 then it came past again , really people under estimate the power of these cars but power to weigh ratio makes the cars insane on acceleration , I paid 4000 for mine and a good spec one is worth that all day anyday , mines worth about 10 k in parts , don't diss it till you try it, have a little look on YouTube at glanza's vs evo's and vs scoobies and you'll see the glanza year them apart :) just giving my info won't be on here again so no point replying to me , glanza's are really fun and you can put the power down on 240 bhp much more and it becomes hard

RAGGY DOO 14 February 2017 05:25 PM

I had one years ago at 280 plus bhp
Couldn't go around corners but in a straight line annihilated every Subaru I ever had a play with pinked badged or not at 200 bhp or more will kill wrx all day long

bustaMOVEs 14 February 2017 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Jacques (Post 11919382)
I have one running 240 bhp pulls like **** off a shovel with a good set of tyres you can get the power down and jheez they go like **** power to weight ratio is insane and with a good suspention set up handle really well although in the wet weather completely useless and can't put the power down but still a car that puts a smile on my face years after owning it , believe it or not I raced a 385 bhp evo and it beat me off then line then I flew past it until about 125 then it came past again , really people under estimate the power of these cars but power to weigh ratio makes the cars insane on acceleration , I paid 4000 for mine and a good spec one is worth that all day anyday , mines worth about 10 k in parts , don't diss it till you try it, have a little look on YouTube at glanza's vs evo's and vs scoobies and you'll see the glanza year them apart :) just giving my info won't be on here again so no point replying to me , glanza's are really fun and you can put the power down on 240 bhp much more and it becomes hard

You sound like glamba on here :lol1:

ossett2k2 14 February 2017 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Jacques (Post 11919382)

What a bellend :facepalm:

Uncle Creepy 14 February 2017 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11919412)
What a bellend :facepalm:

:lol:

Matty81 15 February 2017 03:23 PM

I had a 172 and it was a piece of s@@t. I'd go with the glanza myself.

Rbon91 15 February 2017 03:40 PM

I had a fully forged Glanza last year..

286bhp was a absolue monster stripped out. in the dry it was awesome. had Toyo tyres on.. well worth the buy and fun.

had a few drives out with my mate in his 330bhp JDM blob, in the bends and off the line etc obviously the scoob way in a different league but once your going the Scooby couldn't keep up on a rolling start with the weight of the Glanza...

always put a smile on your face anyway and going up in value

ryan