ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   97 sti ra engine in 99 uk car????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/735583-97-sti-ra-engine-in-99-uk-car.html)

T4YLOR 83 02 January 2009 07:57 PM

97 sti ra engine in 99 uk car?????

hi just managed to source a low milage sti ra engine, loom, turbo basically a doner for my99 but just need to know if it will be ok to fit to my gearbox as i know the ra's have a different gear ratio? and if there is any thing else that would be difficult can you please let me know cheers in advance

ps the ra gearbox is not available!

joz8968 02 January 2009 10:07 PM

Did you get the RA's rear diff too? If so, then fit the RA gearbox and the rear diff ! You'll have wicked acclertation due to the RA's 'box's very short ratios and 4.444:1 F.D. :)

Whichever box you decide to fit, you must retain its std diff (can't mix and match).

T4YLOR 83 02 January 2009 10:25 PM

no mate i got standard uk box and diff still just an engine transplant im afraid

bly 02 January 2009 10:34 PM

the 97 ra rev's to 7800 this might be problem if you use your standard 99 long gearing (might be very laggy)also think 97 has pipe going to air intake on the coldstart 99 hasent ,but if you have dona car you should have all that:wonder:

FB Tuning 03 January 2009 12:31 AM

You'll have trouble getting your 99 inlet manifold to fit the 97 engine, as the bolt holes in the head are not the same.

You'll have to have some conversion spacers made to make it fit.

T4YLOR 83 03 January 2009 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by fiestaboy (Post 8392128)
You'll have trouble getting your 99 inlet manifold to fit the 97 engine, as the bolt holes in the head are not the same.

thats ok i got the whole engine and ancillaries from the ra the main thing im worried about is the whole gearbox thing really and if im gonna encounter any other problem's after changing it cheers

sy. 03 January 2009 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by fiestaboy (Post 8392128)

it will be easier to change the heads for the 99 ones as the inlet of the ra will not work with the 99 loom as the 99 throttle body is totally different there is a stepper motor on a 99 but a iavc on the ra also the fuel rails loom connectors oh and the throttle sensor among others are all different!!!

WMS 03 January 2009 12:51 PM

Far too much hassle for little gain, bottom end essentially the same, you would have to fit your heads, so a pointless exercise. Spend your time and cash on a decent ecu and getting it mapped, you will be a happy bunny then:thumb:

T4YLOR 83 03 January 2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by WMS (Post 8392800)
Far too much hassle for little gain, bottom end essentially the same, you would have to fit your heads, so a pointless exercise. Spend your time and cash on a decent ecu and getting it mapped, you will be a happy bunny then:thumb:

my engine is kaput thats why im doing the change. i have sourced a whole low milage sti ra engine with all ancillaries ie block, heads, inlet manifold, turbo, ecu, loom, maf, injectors, fuel rail, sump etc etc but i have to use my gearbox could any1 tell me if they have seen this done and if it will be ok with the different gear ratio's and will it mate to the gearbox ok thanks

M535I 03 January 2009 03:08 PM

i have a 95 sti ra engine and it is a straight swap from my my98uk turbo engine , im just uding my phase1.5 inletmanifold and its a straight swap , the sti engines do rev higher but thats not a problem as you will need to replace your ecu really to run it propperley.

T4YLOR 83 03 January 2009 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by M535I (Post 8393167)
i have a 95 sti ra engine and it is a straight swap from my my98uk turbo engine , im just uding my phase1.5 inletmanifold and its a straight swap , the sti engines do rev higher but thats not a problem as you will need to replace your ecu really to run it propperley.

i have the ecu from the 97 ra too did you mate the ra engine to the uk gearbox if so was it ok?

FB Tuning 03 January 2009 09:04 PM

Sounds like you're creating more work for yourself than necessary :)

If it was mine, I'd just buy a couple of new headgaskets, and use the short motor from the donor with your 99/00 heads.

Then sell whatever's left over to get your money back.

M535I 04 January 2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by fiestaboy (Post 8394277)
Sounds like you're creating more work for yourself than necessary :)

If it was mine, I'd just buy a couple of new headgaskets, and use the short motor from the donor with your 99/00 heads.

Then sell whatever's left over to get your money back.

why it's a straight swap ! people get confused and over complicate things .
It will bolt straight to the uk gearbox .asong as the ra ecu will plug in it should be fine i dont think it will though as the jap and uk loom's are diffrent mate .

T4YLOR 83 04 January 2009 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by M535I (Post 8395150)
why it's a straight swap ! people get confused and over complicate things .
It will bolt straight to the uk gearbox .asong as the ra ecu will plug in it should be fine i dont think it will though as the jap and uk loom's are diffrent mate .

thats coverd too mate i got the loom from the ra aswell :thumb:

M535I 04 January 2009 03:52 PM

lol the whole car loom or just the engine as the connectors for the car loom i.e window's ,mirror's,lights etc have diffrent connectors to the ecu , now thats to much work lol just stick the engine in ,throw in an apexi,ir simtek get it mpped job's done .